• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAAF Coaching Carousel

@schadjoe Chris Petersen and James Franklin are top options at USC. A new coach could be named as early as this week.

Latest Coaching Search Ticker

Petersen has removed his name from consideration for the USC job. Is Franklin now the favorite?

If Franklin did take the USC job, would expect WF to go after Trace McSorely hard. McSorely is a QB recruit that committed to Vandy over WF in October.

Right, so basically Cutcliffie is Jim Grobe circa 2006.

It is eery how similar it is. Listening to ESPN and other sports outlets talk about Duke and Cutcliffe is almost exactly what we were hearing about us in 2006. Saturday on ESPN they were talking about how Cutcliffe gets the most out of his limited talent, etc. Duke went 10-2, 6-2 in the ACC just like we did on 2006. The only real difference is Duke has #1 FSU standing in their way of the ACC title, we had a good but very beatable Ga. Tech standing in the way of ours. If somehow a near miracle happens Saturday and Duke wins, then that will surpass what we did in 2006 looking at it objectively.

Petersen has removed his name from consideration for the USC job. Is Franklin now the favorite?

If Franklin did take the USC job, would expect WF to go after Trace McSorely hard. McSorely is a QB recruit that committed to Vandy over WF in October.

Franklin fits Haden's hot wife criteria... I'd say it's pretty close to a lock.

I'd love to lure Gattis away from Franklin's staff, maybe if Franklin decides to bolt for USC that opportunity will arise.

Wyoming fired their coach
FAU fired their coach during the season
Miami (o) fired their coach during the season
Hawaii will likely fire their coach
Army's Rich Ellerson may be fired after the Navy game
Mack Brown will likely be fired/retire after the Baylor game.

Ron Wellman has major problems with this. It's just not right.

Mack Brown will likely be fired/retire after the Baylor game

Will Muschamp (FLA), Charlie Weis (KS), Garrick McGhee (UAB), Dana Holgerson (WV) among others look like they will keep their jobs, but will fire assistant coaches.

Amazingly, it appears that mad man Bo Pelini will keep his job at Nebraska.

I quit caring about Texas a while back, but I had the impression they turned it around. Is the consensus that Brown is done?

Actually I think he does. One, Duke is putting more emphasis on football, they're getting an indoor practice facility and will be making upgrades to the stadium including removing the track. Two, I've heard him talk before about how he likes the atmosphere at Duke when it comes to football, more laid back, more family oriented atmosphere, etc. Remember, he had he experience as a head coach at a higher pressure SEC school in Ole Miss and he got canned after doing a good job. I'm sure he'll have opportunities after this year and maybe he does leave, but I think he probably stays. The key for him will be much like it was for Grobe, staying motivated and being able to retain and/or replace key assistants as they get opportunities.

Duke's indoor practice facility was completed a year and a half ago. Nothing wrong with Duke's program/facilities that a quarter of a billion dollars won't solve.

Last edited:
I quit caring about Texas a while back, but I had the impression they turned it around. Is the consensus that Brown is done?

No. There's been rumors that UT hired Patterson as AD over Luck since Patterson was willing to give Brown another year.

Mack Brown will likely be fired/retire after the Baylor game

Don't forget that E. Michigan fired their coach during the season. You know, coming into this year their coach had four straight losing seasons just like Grobe. Now Grobe sits alone a top loser's mountain.

If Chow gets fired at Hawaii I'd take him as OC in a heartbeat.

If Chow gets fired at Hawaii I'd take him as OC in a heartbeat.

He did OC for 1 year at State when Rivers was QB. He is apparently very hard to get along with and is a poor recruiter. While Chow would be an upgrade, there are better options for WF.

Is Bud Foster trying to interview with every single school in the FBS?

I think he realizes that with VT's recent mediocrity that's he not going to just be handed the reigns once Beamer Ball ends. Probably time to make a move.

Wouldn't you have to fire one of the Ohio U crowd? aka the Untouchables

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an opening or 2 on our staff. You'd think a coach or 2 that isn't from the Ohio U. tree on our staff would be tired of this crap and get out. I don't have any inside info, just a hunch, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the O-line coach left.

Somewhere, at another school, their "Wellman" is looking to make a change. He wants to upgrade to a higher powered offense and get some culture change. He's looking hard and he's looking at Wake. He's thinking "man, that Lobotzke would make a great HC. Time to give that man a shot." He's thinking how his fanbase and alumni will embrace that kind of upgrade.

Somewhere, at another school, far far away, another AD is looking to pull a [Redacted] with Lobotzke.

Didn't a post like this appear on the Colorado boards once?

Steve Sarkisian to USC. Kind of shocking. He was doing good things at UW

Back