• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAAF Coaching Carousel

Only hours before they announced Sarkisian. Probably they told him he was the guy so he withdrew.

Yeah from the reports trickling out it appears Sark was the top target for USC, followed by Sumlin and Peterson.

Sark isn't a real sexy hire, but he's bringing in an ace recruiting staff to a program that pretty much recruits itself. He runs a version of that pro style offense they love....I think he will end up being a good hire.

Better hire than USC, who could have had him if they had just asked.

Sark did a great job at Washington. I had totally forgotten he took over for THE program killer, Ty Willingham, who went 0-fer in year fucking four.

I'm wondering if James Franklin waited one year too long in staying at Vandy. He had good opportunities last year but there's not much for him this year. Vandy's talent level is going to drop for the next 1-2 years before Franklin's classes come rolling in.

Sark did a great job at Washington. I had totally forgotten he took over for THE program killer, Ty Willingham, who went 0-fer in year fucking four.

Just googled Willingham to see where he is coaching these days. Per his Wiki page: "He is currently a volunteer assistant coach for the Stanford University women's golf team."

Someone asked this on twitter and I actually had to think about it for a little bit. Better coaching job in the current NCAA realignment/playoff access environment: Wake or Boise State?

Initially thought Boise but it may slip without Peterson and Wake has a power conference ($, TV, playoff access) with a better recruiting location and no blue turf.

Wake. With conference realignment, being in one of the 5 power conferences is now more important than ever, and I think that the divide between the haves and have nots will continue to grow.

I'm wondering if James Franklin waited one year too long in staying at Vandy. He had good opportunities last year but there's not much for him this year. Vandy's talent level is going to drop for the next 1-2 years before Franklin's classes come rolling in.
Another guy (along with Sumlin) USC should have at least sniffed on. He seems like he brings that bigger than just a coach personality that USC requires.

Just googled Willingham to see where he is coaching these days. Per his Wiki page: "He is currently a volunteer assistant coach for the Stanford University women's golf team."

Think he was named to the college football playoff selection committee, too.

Really bad form for one conference school to hire away a head coach from another conference school. Low rent Auburn did it when they hired no class Tommy Tuberville from Ole Miss; should not be surprised that USC stooped to the same low-level.

I guess we have to adjust to the fact that conferences don't really mean what they used to mean. They are huge now, and especially geographically. Conferences now are just a few divisions or sections of the NCAA. It's getting to the point that if you can't hire from within your own conference, you are far more limited than you used to be.

I guess we have to adjust to the fact that conferences don't really mean what they used to mean. They are huge now, and especially geographically. Conferences now are just a few divisions or sections of the NCAA. It's getting to the point that if you can't hire from within your own conference, you are far more limited than you used to be.

New rule - you shouldn't hire another coach that is in the same pod of the same division of the same conference that you are in.

Someone asked this on twitter and I actually had to think about it for a little bit. Better coaching job in the current NCAA realignment/playoff access environment: Wake or Boise State?

Initially thought Boise but it may slip without Peterson and Wake has a power conference ($, TV, playoff access) with a better recruiting location and no blue turf.

Also helps that the ACC has performed well this year out of conference and has FSU likely in the National Championship game mix. That kind of stuff helps with recruiting.

Peterson is kind of a weird guy, he is apparently a scientologist or something and is just generally kooky. Good coach though.

It'll come down to whether or not he can recruit.

Yeah, time will tell. I think Petterson is a good coach, but he was put into a pretty good situation at Boise. Boise was pretty much the top dawg in their conference when he took over. At Washington he will tasked with getting that program into the top tier of the Pac 12, which can be done, Washington used to be a power.

IIRC he built a pretty good situation at Boise. Wasn't he the OC for Dan Hawkins during all his success there? Hawkins got the Colorado job off of Peterson's success. Then Peterson built that program up even more. Peterson, IMO, is one of the 5 most proven HC's in the country (Saban and Meyer are clearly tier 1, but I would struggle to name coaches I would take over Peterson after that). Sark may end up being better, but as of today, Peterson is the better hire. If I'm a UW fan, I'm pretty thrilled.

In reference to the ND OC opening:

Among the names that could have interest or emerge are UConn interim head coach TJ Weist, Illinois offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Bill Cubit, Cincinnati quarterbacks coach Darin Hinshaw, former San Diego State head coach Chuck Long, Indiana quarterbacks / wide receivers coach Kevin Johns, Wake Forest offensive coordinator Steed Lobotzke, and former Penn State quarterbacks coach Charlie Fisher.

IIRC he built a pretty good situation at Boise. Wasn't he the OC for Dan Hawkins during all his success there? Hawkins got the Colorado job off of Peterson's success. Then Peterson built that program up even more. Peterson, IMO, is one of the 5 most proven HC's in the country (Saban and Meyer are clearly tier 1, but I would struggle to name coaches I would take over Peterson after that). Sark may end up being better, but as of today, Peterson is the better hire. If I'm a UW fan, I'm pretty thrilled.

Not many coaches out there (him and Gary Patterson) who have taken Non-BCS schools to multiple BCS bowls and won

In reference to the ND OC opening:

If UConn hires Lobo, the Husky fans should revolt. I mean I don't have anything personal against Lobo and I hope he lands on his feet, but our offensive rankings under him are pathetic and I can't imagine how anyone can deem him ready to be a head coach.

If UConn hires Lobo, the Husky fans should revolt. I mean I don't have anything personal against Lobo and I hope he lands on his feet, but our offensive rankings under him are pathetic and I can't imagine how anyone can deem him ready to be a head coach.

It would be Notre Dame, even worse. LOL

Brian Kelly runs the O there anyway so it's more like an internship

It would be Notre Dame, even worse. LOL

Okay, well the Irish fans would revolt I would imagine. Of course after watching us at Notre Dame last year lay a big goose egg, I can't imagine ND even considering for a second.

If UConn hires Lobo we schedule them quick as we can.

Back