• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Who would you trust, a Prosser protégé or an Ole Roy protégé?

It's down to Miller and Forbes

This has been reported by Jeff Goodman, Les, and Evan Daniels

I'm not sure why we would think anyone else is a favorite at this point

Counterpoint: it just shows that you have very low expectations for an ACC coach's resume.

Look at the last few hires in the ACC:

Kevin Keatts (UNCW)
Josh Pastner (Memphis)
Chris Mack (Xavier and Louisville had a title in the last few years)
Jeff Capel (Duke associate head coach)
Mike Young (Wofford)
Danny Manning (Tulsa)
Jim Christian (Ohio)

I don't think I'm the unrealistic one about who ACC teams hire and who they end up with as realistic finalists. It's great to shoot high and Wake should, but not landing Rick Pitino or Thad Matta doesn't mean Wake has failed and we should shutter the program.

Always a bad idea to make decisions off of a coach not winning a single elimination tournament.

That's how you end up preferring Danny Manning to Mike White

Yet another example of bullshit posted here that is later passed around as fact.

Mike White gave Wake a "thanks but no thanks" last go 'round. Nobody selected Danny Manning over White.

Danny Manning was hired was because Mike White (as well as a number of others) said no.

Amaker and Collins are NOT in contention according to Evan Daniels. Daniels also says Forbes and Wes are the leaders right now. Evans Bomb!

As of yesterday Goodman also still had Forbes and Miller as the leading candidates.

So people think Kelsey is like Skip and Mack, not like Dino ?

You guys that think Wes wouldn’t want to beat Carolina more than anyone we play know nothing about athletic competition or general psychology. Some crazy dumb takes on this thread.

Yet another example of bullshit posted here that is later passed around as fact.

Mike White gave Wake a "thanks but no thanks" last go 'round. Nobody selected Danny Manning over White.

Danny Manning was hired was because Mike White (as well as a number of others) said no.

It isn't bullshit. At least one poster was convinced that Manning was a much better hire, in large part because White had never been to the NCAAT while Manning had been.

If the Amaker thing was just a leak to get everyone on board with hiring someone else....it fucking worked on me. I'd be over the moon right now for Forbes and feel pretty great about Miller, mainly because neither one of them is Tommy 4 tourney wins in 23 seasons Amaker.

Wes has way better resume at UNCG than Fran McCaffrey and Fran's a pretty darn good coach

To put a final disqualifier on Wes, can someone please find the YouTube video of the Midnight With Roy session when Wes dressed up as Roy and mimicked Ole Roy exhorting his team to push the ball, push the ball ....................

It's down to Miller and Forbes

This has been reported by Jeff Goodman, Les, and Evan Daniels

I'm not sure why we would think anyone else is a favorite at this point

I'm fine with either of these two... if we can't get Matta or Beeline.... no Amaker, and no Kelsey for me.

In fact Wake probably is one of the last three to five ACC teams to hire another P5/P6 coach (depending on how you treat hires like Gottfried who had prior experience at Alabama but wasn’t there when hire) and we know how that ended up.

If the Amaker thing was just a leak to get everyone on board with hiring someone else....it fucking worked on me. I'd be over the moon right now for Forbes and feel pretty great about Miller, mainly because neither one of them is Tommy 4 tourney wins in 23 seasons Amaker.

I wondered about this too. I initially was totally opposed to Miller or Kelsey. Still think Kelsey is a weak sauce choice, but after the threat of Amaker taking over the program, if you told me we'd get Miller now I'd be thrilled.

Back