• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

News and Observer's Luke DeCock talks about Bzzz

I don't know how many times it has to be repeated: I am not a troll. I am a Wake graduate and a true believer in our athletic leadership. I learned the lessons of patience and hard work on the farms of the Sandhills. In farming you take what you get and understand that it's all part of God's plan.

Get used to my voice of reason. It will be here to dispel the delusions of groupthink whenever they rise. It's like the Stanford Prison Experiment around here.

God doesn't give a shit about our athletic programs, nor anyone elses. He doesn't really give a shit about sports at all. Get serious.

God doesn't give a shit about our athletic programs, nor anyone elses. He doesn't really give a shit about sports at all. Get serious.

i still chuckle whenever i think of blackgold's "where god split ya" comment

While I disagree with blackgold, I don't get why most folks haven't settled into reality. All this vitriol is so pointless.

The facts are we won five or six more games than last year and if we win five or six more than this year next year, it will make for a pretty good season.

Purposefully scheduling weaker opponents in order to squeak out a few more wins does not impress me. Just look at the list of teams we beat this season and tell me which ones are solid victories? I do admit that early on I thought that the Nebraska victory was a solid win but they fell apart and ended up with a worse record than us. We beat three teams that had a winning record. ugh.

Loyola, MD (24-8)
Georgia Southern (15-15)
NC Central (17-14)
Texas Tech (8-23)
Nebraska (12-17)
High Point (13-18)
Gardner-Webb (12-20)
UNC-Wilmington (10-21)
Yale (19-9)
Virginia Tech (15-16)
Boston College x2 (9-21)
Georgia Tech (11-19)

Jesus Christ, that list is depressing when looking at it whole. womp womp

Purposefully scheduling weaker opponents in order to squeak out a few more wins does not impress me. Just look at the list of teams we beat this season and tell me which ones are solid victories? I do admit that early on I thought that the Nebraska victory was a solid win but they fell apart and ended up with a worse record than us. We beat three teams that had a winning record. ugh.

Loyola, MD (24-8)
Georgia Southern (15-15)
NC Central (17-14)
Texas Tech (8-23)
Nebraska (12-17)
High Point (13-18)
Gardner-Webb (12-20)
UNC-Wilmington (10-21)
Yale (19-9)
Virginia Tech (15-16)
Boston College x2 (9-21)
Georgia Tech (11-19)

165-201

I don't know how many times it has to be repeated: I am not a troll. I am a Wake graduate and a true believer in our athletic leadership. I learned the lessons of patience and hard work on the farms of the Sandhills. In farming you take what you get and understand that it's all part of God's plan.

Get used to my voice of reason. It will be here to dispel the delusions of groupthink whenever they rise. It's like the Stanford Prison Experiment around here.

God must have really hated Skip Prosser.

"We were playing great...until Jesus made me fumble. He hates our team." - Jeff Stilson

And while I appreciate the psych reference, Zimbardo's prison experiment wasn't really about mob mentality.

God loves everyone and we all have a purpose in his plan. We are not capable of understanding his works.

Forget understanding his works. You're proving to be incapable of understanding things far less complicated.

so, if wrangor and lectro conceived, then elected not to abort, it would look like blackgold

"We were playing great...until Jesus made me fumble. He hates our team." - Jeff Stilson

And while I appreciate the psych reference, Zimbardo's prison experiment wasn't really about mob mentality.

It's about message board posters internalizing their roles as Armchair Athletic Directors.

I don't think bzd survives past year 4 if he doesn't get us off the bubble regardless of whether Wellman is "happy" with that level of success or not (doubt he is). If Bzd keeps us at 18-20 wins he will not generate enough fan/alumni/donor support to save his job. Sendek survived so long at NC State because he followed Les Robinson and he had fan support for a good long while. Until they got used to winning more games than they lost (without committing recruiting violations) and asked for more. Bzd is not going to have that luxury.

We need to make the NCAAs relatively easily in Year 4 and if not get to the Sweet 16 that year, then def. the next (either that or win 3/4 of our games in the ACC). I really do think he's going to have to get to about 42-44 wins in Years 3 and 4, with at least 18 of those coming next year, to generate the backing he needs in the expensive seats.

So I really don't think your fears are warranted. If it was Shaka Smart everyone would take 17 wins for two years with a shit eating grin, but Bzd is certainly not going to be afforded that luxury. Remember, everyone liked being in the company of Skip. 5 minutes of time carried a lot of people a long way with him. There are only a handful of coaches charming enough to get away with putting your worst free throw shooter on the line to take technical free throws, and Skip was one of them.

It will be villagers at the gates in Transylvania if Bzd makes that kind of mistake. He's on a short rope and he knows it. Sucky way to have to work but he brought it on himself as much as Wellman put him there so I don't feel too sympathetic.

Last edited:

No, YOU need to get serious and just admit that Ron Wellman IS God, and is therefore infallible.

After next regular season:

Under 18 wins- [Redacted] is gone
18 -50/50 -would likely have to win 8 in ACC and get an NIT bid, but still 50/50
19-- 80/20 to return- this would mean 8/9 ACC wins
20 -100% return

18 -50/50 -would likely have to win 8 in ACC and get an NIT bid, but still 50/50
20 -100% return

2 games in a single season is the difference between a guy's job being 50/50 and 100%? And 3 games is the difference between fired or 100% keeping your job?

Last edited:

20 -100% return

I would have agreed two weeks ago - but after Ron's wholehearted endorsement of Bzd recently, am far more concerned that even if we are just a little sub-.500 but show "improvement" (e.g., only losing by single digits), than we are stuck in hell for at least one more year... hope I am wrong... or alternatively, hope we hit 20 wins...

I love that rj can post something like that in such an assured manner when he is really only guessing.

Get used to my voice of reason. It will be here to dispel the delusions of groupthink whenever they rise.

lifesizesup.jpg

Back