• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker | Spring Transfer Portal Open

I know he’s been here a long time, but it would be a little damning if after all those years we finally offer Kern the starting QB role for the season and he just says “nah, I’m good.”

Kern is clearly not the QB of the future. But as of right now, if he doesn't return, we'll have a redshirt freshman who didn't earn a snap this past year, and a true freshman listed at 6', 175

I mean, that's nowhere near enough depth in the room. If we can convince Kern to stick around for $100 - $150k that seems wise to me. I don't think we'll be in the running for TVD or the Washington QB.

I don't disagree with that logic but as we all likely fear- I'm afraid we're playing the NIL with a musket and other programs have an AK-47. That measly $150k might be the difference in not keeping a guy like Davis, Carson, Claiborne, Grimes, Hall, etc.

Y'all know that quarterbacks potentially transferring in can watch tape of our offensive line from this season, right ?

People that are thinking about the "QB of the future" have not kept up with the times in college football very well. In the world of NIL and the transfer portal, the "QB of the future" doesn't really exist anymore for most schools. So let's just worry about the QB for 2024. And like it or not, Michael Kern would be the betting favorite to be the best option we are going to have for a 2024 starting QB.

All of you fully aboard the transfer QB train are fine, but at least provide some options that you think would be both realistic and a clear upgrade to Kern as they enter the portal this week.
Good post. I think Clawson will get a grad transfer QB just due to numbers. But it's far more likely it's a good lower G5 or FCS QB rather than a P5 guy, even a mediocre one like Leary or Armstrong.

I know he’s been here a long time, but it would be a little damning if after all those years we finally offer Kern the starting QB role for the season and he just says “nah, I’m good.”
It would also be damning if after all those years, Kern finally becomes the starting QB and balls out.

Kern was the best option for QB 2023 and under center he would likely have won at the very least the gt and duke games and very likely the clemson game for a 7-5 respectable finish and a bowl game at that as well.

There’s no evidence to support this. Total revisionist history.

If I were in Kern's situation, I would be tempted to come back and be the probable favorite to be QB1 but in the back of my mind a thought just wont go away....I just don't think that Clawson likes me for whatever reason.

If I were in Kern's situation, I would be tempted to come back and be the probable favorite to be QB1 but in the back of my mind a thought just wont go away....I just don't think that Clawson likes me for whatever reason.
I mean Kern (presumably) is finishing whatever academic program he is doing at Wake this spring anyways right? So he can just stick around until then and then transfer if he hasn't been awarded the starting job by the end of spring practice.

Even transferring in over the summer, Kern would probably win a starting QB job at a low G5 somewhere if he wanted it.

I mean Kern (presumably) is finishing whatever academic program he is doing at Wake this spring anyways right? So he can just stick around until then and then transfer if he hasn't been awarded the starting job by the end of spring practice.

Even transferring in over the summer, Kern would probably win a starting QB job at a low G5 somewhere if he wanted it.
he finishes next month

I agreed with your previous post, but I don't buy the assumption that Clawson's rationale was sound. If Clawson course corrects, he and Ruggiero could build a better offense around Kern.

I don't want to overhype or anoint Kern either. But I wouldn't give up on the season if they can't or don't want to attract a big money NIL QB. I'd be just as worried that Clawson chooses the wrong guy out of the portal over Kern as I was that he chose Griffis over Kern.

I get your point. I don't know why DC rode the Griffis train so long. But I don't think it's because he is stubborn or stupid. I think (and all of this is speculation) that DC decided the ceiling with Kern was not high enough, and thought a younger Griffis could be developed into a QB with a higher ceiling. I don't really have a preference between 5-7 and 1-11, so I favor informed gambles for a higher ceiling.

Semi-related aside. I think our football problems begin and end with our OL. If DC was wrong about our OL and wrong about Griffis (including that a good OL could mask Griffis' issues), that combo can look a lot wrong from the stands. I think DC will figure it out. And I think DC will bring in a portal QB. If not, that will be a bad omen for the future.

It will be either Clawson and his staff putting in 100 work hours per week through recruiting and/or having an NIL war chest in order to compete. The days of grooming and wooing kids from HS with mittens are now gone.

Well, the evidence supports that with any semblance of D Kern did enough to beat syracuse.

Agreed but defense largely carried us most of the year. They kept us in games for at least a half that should have been worse than the final score (VT, NC State) and if we had our typical offense firepower from last 5 years we should win atleast one of those games holding those 2 teams to 30 points or less. The defense also gave us a chance to win with this year's offense with very good performances (GT, Duke, Clemson). I'm writing off FSU and ND completely this year. Yeah- Cuse wasn't good but Defense gets one bad game. Of course it's the game that the offense actually starts clicking though. The Cuse game was a write-off game- might have as well been practice for next year- no difference in team going 5-7 or 4-8 sadly.

People that are thinking about the "QB of the future" have not kept up with the times in college football very well. In the world of NIL and the transfer portal, the "QB of the future" doesn't really exist anymore for most schools. So let's just worry about the QB for 2024. And like it or not, Michael Kern would be the betting favorite to be the best option we are going to have for a 2024 starting QB.

All of you fully aboard the transfer QB train are fine, but at least provide some options that you think would be both realistic and a clear upgrade to Kern as they enter the portal this week.
Yeah I'm not looking for a four year stud, we've shown we can be competitive with someone serviceable taking snaps

Back