• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Black Monday Thread

I assume that Philbin would only go if GM Jeff Ireland went too, thus allowing for whoever is hired as the new GM to hand-select his own HC.

I grew up an Eastern NC Skins fan. Hometown legend played for them and everything. They'd be my #2 team right now if he wasn't for Snyder. He's impossible to root for.

If I were a coach, ain't no way I'd want to work for Snyder or Jerruh. Though Shanahan is greatly to blame for the huge mess that was Washington this year, Snyder also bears responsibility for the mess. Snyder seems to have learned not to play GM, but he still needs to learn not to be chummy with players and interfere with his coaches. Houston and Detroit are the jobs you'd want to have this year. Houston especially - they have a good D and won the Teddy Bridgewater Sweepstakes. Teddy looks like the only near sure thing of the QBs who'll be drafted in the 1st round.

I want Detroit to hire a coach with a good history with QBs and then draft someone like Tahj Boyd and coach him up for a couple seasons under Stafford.

I want Detroit to hire a coach with a good history with QBs and then draft someone like Tahj Boyd and coach him up for a couple seasons under Stafford.

I assume that Philbin would only go if GM Jeff Ireland went too, thus allowing for whoever is hired as the new GM to hand-select his own HC.

Ireland really needs to go. He's an awful GM. And I'm fine that if he goes that it might mean the end of the Philbin experiment.

On a side note, there's some peculation that Tom Coughlin might retire. He's missed the playoffs four of the last five years.

If I were a coach, ain't no way I'd want to work for Snyder or Jerruh. Though Shanahan is greatly to blame for the huge mess that was Washington this year, Snyder also bears responsibility for the mess. Snyder seems to have learned not to play GM, but he still needs to learn not to be chummy with players and interfere with his coaches. Houston and Detroit are the jobs you'd want to have this year. Houston especially - they have a good D and won the Teddy Bridgewater Sweepstakes. Teddy looks like the only near sure thing of the QBs who'll be drafted in the 1st round.

$7M/year says you're a liar.

Schefter saying Skins are looking at Jay Grudden, Zimmer, Lovie, David Shaw. Hope there are a few more names on that list (Roman, Wisenhunt, Bevell) at least for interviews.

Browns looking at McDaniel. Bucs looking at "bringing back a Rich McKay-Lovie Smith tag team" according to Schefty.

The Skins aren't going to make a good hire but someone will take the paycheck. Lions will get Brian Kelly.

Redskins are still a tricky job with Snyder around but with a presumably healthier RGIII coming back you have to figure that job is somewhat more attractive than some of the other openings.*

*Then again, it might be nice to have a draft pick here or there.

$7M/year says you're a liar.

Schefter saying Skins are looking at Jay Grudden, Zimmer, Lovie, David Shaw. Hope there are a few more names on that list (Roman, Wisenhunt, Bevell) at least for interviews.

Browns looking at McDaniel. Bucs looking at "bringing back a Rich McKay-Lovie Smith tag team" according to Schefty.

$7mil per may look nice up front, but meddling owners aren't worth working for in the long run. If I were head coaching fodder, I'd want to interview in Tampa, Detroit, Cleveland and Houston before thinking of interviewing in Washington or Dallas.

LOL at the Browns and McDaniel.

And it's about time Marvin Lewis lost a coordinator or 2.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 30s
Browns requested permission to interview Seahawks DC Dan Quinn for HC job, per source. Quinn can interview Jan. 5.

Do teams not realize that Adam Gase doesn't get to bring Peyton Manning with him? I could do an awesome job as OC of the Broncos.

The Broncos' personnel folks take a good bit of the responsibility for the success of the Broncos offense.

Snyder can only take a run at an up-and-comer and hope his luck changes. Any established name coach will end in disaster (again).

He'll get a good look. Besides, if the Chicago curse keeps its potency, he'll probably take whatever team he ends up with now to a Super Bowl victory.

Only team I could really see fitting w/ Lovie is the Lions. Don't love the Bucs or Texans fit for Lovie because (i) both squads already have strong (if not better) defenses, and (ii) both squads are in grey areas with respect to the QB position: Houston needs one, and TB may need one depending on how you feel about Glennon. I would not trust Lovie with a young, still-needing-to-be-developed QB if I were in an NFL front office, and -- similarly -- I doubt Love wants any part of a situation where there is still work to be done at QB. (Of course, Houston has the first overall pick, which I'd imagine they'll try and leverage into a young QB one way or another, via draft or trade.) Again, I could see him stepping in with Detroit, with its QB position secure and an up-and-coming defense, but for some reason I doubt Detroit goes that way after having a purported "player's coach" in Schwartz.

Back