• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Conference Championships Thread

I think Skip is entirely right in that segment. When I think Richard Sherman, my first thought is "trash talker who hates Harbaugh" and not "elite all-Pro cornerback."
You're certainly entitled to think that, but these two things are not mutually exclusive.

And while lots of the media and talking heads make it seem as though Sherman's flamboyance detracts from focus on his skill as a cornerback and that he'd be better "Just letting his play do the talking", I'd offer that the opposite is true: dude is a cornerback who plays in Seattle and is just one of many elite players on an elite defense--a defense whose stadium gets more credit and a catchier nickname than it does. Without his various "adderall" suspensions and over-the-top interviews and press conferences, I'm not sure the general NFL populous would be nearly as attuned to how good he is as a CB.

I bet much of it is just Sherman getting psyched up to play his biggest rival. I'm sure he'd hate Luck if they were in the same division as the Colts.

Nah, he and Harb pretty openly don't like each other. They did not see eye-to-eye at Stanford.

Can't believe with all this talk about Sherman that no one has posted a picture of his Mom's truck from back in the day.

A5hIzcxCMAETwe-.jpg

Article by Sherman. Looks like his PR team wrote a nice article for him.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sherman-interview-michael-crabtree/

why do you assume it was his pr team

Something doesn't compute here. Either he didn't write that dorm e-mail, he has ghost writers for his SI stuff, or he jumped about 12 grade levels in writing ability in his last 2 years at Stanford. The last is highly unlikely, so it's gotta be one of the first two. Of course, another explanation is he sent that e-mail on his phone. The more I think about it, the more plausible that seems.

Probably a combination of:
-feeling the freedom to write colloquially in the dorm email,
-making a greater effort to use more formal language when writing for SI, and
-a stringent editing process by SI, which most college students (and adults ?) would benefit from.

It's really not hard to figure out.

LOL @ ELC being surprised by a difference in an e-mail to college students when dude was in college and a column on a major sports site now

I'm not an expert, but this doesn't seem like something a PR team would want a client to say:

"Erin Andrews interviewed me after the game and I yelled what was obvious: If you put a subpar player across from a great one, most of the time you’re going to get one result. As far as Crabtree being a top-20 NFL receiver, you’d have a hard time making that argument to me. There are a lot of receivers playing good ball out there, and Josh Gordon needed 14 games to produce almost double what Crabtree can do in a full season. And Gordon had Brandon Weeden, Brian Hoyer and Jason Campbell playing quarterback."

Last edited:
Bears repeating that Sherman has been writing columns all year for SI.

Don't know why it's so hard for some people to accept this is all a deliberate, well-thought out strategy by a smart dude. In related news, SHERMAN jerseys cracked the top-10 of NFL sales this week.

Don't know why it's so hard for some people to accept this is all a deliberate, well-thought out strategy by a smart dude. In related news, SHERMAN jerseys cracked the top-10 of NFL sales this week.

He's pawning everyone, and it is working.

And guess which Seahawk player is going to get the most attention on media day? The one who can handle it.

Just like Miley Cyrus

And guess which Seahawk player is going to get the most attention on media day? The one who can handle it.

I think that's exactly what it's about. Russell Wilson is having a TON of pressure taken off. Without Sherman, everything is Wilson v. Manning. Not a great situation for a young QB.

No way was that outburst a deliberate, planned action.

Right. The original idea that the interview was a product of the excitement of the moment doesn't square with this new idea that it was some calculated move designed to take pressure off Wilson.
Not that it won't take the pressure off, but that wasn't the intent.

The willful ignorance is shocking.

Don't be such a drama queen. There should not be such a difference in writing styles. Are you in the habit of sounding illiterate when you concoct emails? I'll stick to my phone theory, which gives him the benefit of the doubt.

----------
Tapatalk.

I'm sure the emails I wrote to friends/dorm-mates in college would be "illiterate" compared to the emails that I write for my job today.

Back