• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

It's wild (and Wild) that 6 of 8 series are knotted 2-2. Also weird is the dearth of OT games: only 3 in 32 games!

The Caps came oh-so-close to taking a 3-1 lead with the help of an uncalled Oshie headshot ($5k fine incoming). Hathaway's cross-ice empty net bid was inches away from going in before the Cats tied the game. I'm pleased Washington is putting up a real fight, and without Wilson to boot.

Doofus takes the very early lead in the bracket challenge, as he was the only person to correctly predict an Avs sweep.

It's wild (and Wild) that 6 of 8 series are knotted 2-2. Also weird is the dearth of OT games: only 3 in 32 games!

The Caps came oh-so-close to taking a 3-1 lead with the help of an uncalled Oshie headshot ($5k fine incoming). Hathaway's cross-ice empty net bid was inches away from going in before the Cats tied the game. I'm pleased Washington is putting up a real fight, and without Wilson to boot.

MN ranks near the very top of the league in quality chances created in even strength hockey. St. Louis, oddly, doesn't. Not sure about the last game as I had to miss a decent chunk of it, but in the first three games MN created more quality chances in each game. The Blues on the power play, however, are incredibly impressive. I like the Blues on ice leadership a lot better. I like Minnesota's roster for playoff hockey a bit better. Tonight's game probably decides the winner.

Also think the Wild match up better with Colorado than the Blues, although the Avs (assuming a healthy Darcy) are my pick to win it all.

I'm sure I'm projecting what I'd like to see with my memories of past playoffs being "better", but it does seem like there are more games with no real drama this year even as the series are close on games. In a few instances those scorelines are driven by late goals, but there have been a number of games that offered zero drama.

I'm sure I'm projecting what I'd like to see with my memories of past playoffs being "better", but it does seem like there are more games with no real drama this year even as the series are close on games. In a few instances those scorelines are driven by late goals, but there have been a number of games that offered zero drama.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I stand corrected. The DOPS wheel has spoke.

canes look good but damn, do i wish they could have capitalized on a broken play close shot or two.

Steve Levy forces too many euphemisms. "he blew a tire", "snapped his twig", "hit a pothole". He sounds like he got drunk with someone who knows hockey once, picked up a few phrases and can't stop using them.

I feel like I have no idea what interference is anymore in hockey. Like McAvoy takes a step towards the attacking Cane to fight for a loose puck, interference. Ok, fair enough. A minute later Bruins player puts the puck just past the defender into the zone and goes to skate by, Canes player steps into his way and puts him up on the boards, no interference. I've seen a number of calls/no calls this year that just leave me scratching my head. I always thought it was moving out of your lane to play the man instead of the puck? Was there a change in the last year or two?

Also crazy how lopsided this series is for the home team. Bruins have been lifeless in Carolina.

I feel like I have no idea what interference is anymore in hockey. Like McAvoy takes a step towards the attacking Cane to fight for a loose puck, interference. Ok, fair enough. A minute later Bruins player puts the puck just past the defender into the zone and goes to skate by, Canes player steps into his way and puts him up on the boards, no interference. I've seen a number of calls/no calls this year that just leave me scratching my head. I always thought it was moving out of your lane to play the man instead of the puck? Was there a change in the last year or two?

This. All of it. High school games in our state have more of an edge to them with all these loose whistles. And as I type this the announcer in the TB/TOR game says "that's a ticky tack call for me". Another penalty.

Now THAT’S better….really loved this game.

I am LOVING Seth Jarvis….such a great pick. We are such a great young team, or have a bunch of great young players.

The goalies have performed so amazingly most of this series. I am very confident at that position going forward with Freddie, Raanta, and Pyotr. Speaking of which, any news on Freddie? Are we expecting to keep him out as long as we are doing fine with Raanta and Kochetkov?

I was going to say keep him out unless we lose next game, but they wouldn’t bring him in cold in a Game 7. So I’m assuming we don’t see him until next round, if we make it.

As I said, last change is instrumental in this series. Will probably go to 7. Bostons ‘perfection line’ can’t do shit in Raleigh.

Hopefully we can break through and end it, maybe tonight a turning point rallying from the two rough ones in Boston. Def most complete performance of the series thus far

Good night for Eastern teams looking to exorcise some demons.

Not so much out West. Impressive resilience from the Kings to brush off the Oil rally, deserved winners, dominated that game.

Also pretty shameful "defense" from McDavid on the game winner, though he was on a long shift I suppose

Last edited:
First penalty in the MN/STL game as well. Even touching a player with your stick in the back is now a cross check. Hard hitting game though. Foligno just hit Jordan Kyrou into the next period.

Endless PPs does not make for good hockey viewing. Good job by the Canes regrouping.

I feel confident about game 6 and think the Canes win the series in Boston. Without incredibly stupid penalties in games 3 and 4, this series is over already. Keep it 5 v 5 and we cruise.

Back