• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Eh, he was damn good in the Boston series, Rangers may have just been weirdness from playing them. Huge need for offensive production from the back line now, unless we're confident someone like Slavin is so good that he can fill the void if called upon.

But the front office has generally done enough to earn the benefit of the doubt

Pretty bummed about losing Tony D...I wasn't following hockey when he was getting in trouble all the time and he seemed like a great guy for the Canes this season....great on the power play and great production from the defense. But if he really did make homophobic or racist remarks before, I don't think I'd want to keep rooting for him.

It hurts what I already think is a thin defense. Who replaces him? Do we break up what seems like a good pairing in Pesce/Skjei? I'm not sure I've seen enough of Chatfield or Lajoie to know how they will or would fit in.

Actually I just realized Jake Gardiner is still on the team....do we trust him to fit back in coming off both back AND hip surgeries? Is he even Top 4 able anymore? I read that a buyout is probably the best and most likely move with the last year of his contract.

Who might be a free agent target? If we even have enough cap space to sign anyone of note...I never know anything about salary caps or how that financial side of the pro sports works. What kinda space are we talkin here?

Right now I'd guess our D will look something like this:

Slavin -- Pesce
Skjei -- Cole
Bear -- Smith
??? -- ???

EDIT: Jesus, I just looked into free agents and I had no idea that we had Niederreiter, Trocheck, Stepan, Domi, Cole, and Smith all as free agents. What is the likelihood we keep those guys? Who here, who's more in the know about these kinda things, can maybe say who's most likely to leave?

It would really suck to lose Niederreiter or Trocheck....the others I think we could replace pretty easily, even though that's 2 more defensemen on that list. ACK!!

So Abby Labar, a Carolina Hurricanes reporter, cheated on her fiancée with Hurricanes defenseman Ian Cole, who is married with children. The news broke of this on Labar’s wedding day to NC State Assistant Football Coach Kriss Proctor

LOL.

And this after Adam Gold raved about how great of a dude Cole was at basically every opportunity this year

And yeah Trocheck is gone. Which I'm alright with, solid player but I'd like more of a difference maker with that cap space.

$20M under the cap at the mo, some RFAs to sign and we have to be careful with extensions due soon to Aho/Pesce/Slavvin/Jarvis. That said hoping trading Tony is an indicator that we're about to make a big-ass swing on somebody come Wednesday

I'm hoping my Caps can land Darcy Kuemper this week. Edmonton, Toronto, and Washington are notable teams that are still scrambling for starting goaltender help. It sounds like Matt Murray may be going to the Leafs creating a 1a/1b situation, and that might indicate Campbell is also on the move.

Also, to quote the Great One...total Mickey Mouse organization:

Duncan Keith retires -- enjoyed watching him play on those good Blackhawk teams

Juice, your Hawks are signaling a massive tank job.

I hope Toews and Kane can get out, if they want. Both are set to be UFAs in 23-24.

Happy Free Agency Day!

-Malkin resigned with the Pens (4 x $6.1)
-Evander Kane resigned with the Oilers (4 x $5.125)
-Gaudreau is taking his talents to the East Coast (NYI, NJD, PHI?)
-Ottawa is doing the opposite of Chicago:

Keep smashing F5 on Twitter all day.

Lots of Brent Burns (!) to Carolina chatter. Also, Trocheck to NYR.

Is it 12pm yet?

Burns doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over TDA - older and more expensive for a similar skillset. Hopefully there are other pieces that tilt the deal in Carolina's favor.

I think Burns is absolutely an upgrade over TDA, although I would have loved to have both of them. This deal is awesome for Carolina. We're trading Lorentz, a goalie prospect, and a conditional 3rd round pick, plus Sharks are paying 1/3 of Burns' salary. This is great.

47 points in 54 games (+29 overall) last year for Florida.

I'm seeing speculation that Marchment to Carolina might mean Nino is out.

So Abby Labar, a Carolina Hurricanes reporter, cheated on her fiancée with Hurricanes defenseman Ian Cole, who is married with children. The news broke of this on Labar’s wedding day to NC State Assistant Football Coach Kriss Proctor

Oof. Abby is smoke. I saw rumbling of this on twitter but assumed she was the one that got cheated on. That's tough

Back