• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Does anyone know when they start selling warm-up pucks at Canes games? I want to make sure I get one tomorrow as a memento - it'll be my son's first NHL game!

Need a goalie or canes miss out of playoffs. Sadly. Rants just feels like he’s lost a step.

Apparently Raanta has been put on waivers. Not sure what this means going forward. Anderson is not close to returning. Lots of smoke about trading for Karel Vejmelka from Arizona. I doubt they bring up Yaniv Perets, who played a few preseason games. He is straight out of college and wasn't anything special, but he is doing well in the AHL/ECHL Something had to happen with the goalie situation, so I guess this is step 1.

Does anyone know when they start selling warm-up pucks at Canes games? I want to make sure I get one tomorrow as a memento - it'll be my son's first NHL game!

There is an area where people line up behind section 129 at the hurricane’s foundation table. They obvious don’t sell them until right after warmups are done and they collect them all but I know I see people lining up before warm ups are over to get them. You can also get a free “first game certificate” from the foundation table if you want.

Hate it for Raanta, but glad Canes realize change is needed.

Such a bitch move by the Caps tonight.

Playing for a shootout instead of trying to win in OT.

I guess if you know that's your best chance to get the extra point, then whatever, I get it. Still.

I guess the only positive that comes out of tonight is that HTTD's son got to see a Caps win in his first game!

Congrats @HailToTheDeacons

I've been really impressed with Noesen this year. He seems to have his name called out during broadcasts more and more....4G / 4A / 8P in the last 10 Games.

Great net front presence every game and just really coming along.

Such a bitch move by the Caps tonight.

Playing for a shootout instead of trying to win in OT.

I guess if you know that's your best chance to get the extra point, then whatever, I get it. Still.

I guess the only positive that comes out of tonight is that HTTD's son got to see a Caps win in his first game!

Congrats @HailToTheDeacons

Supposedly front offices are discussing some kind of rule that says you can't purposely bring the puck back over the red line once you enter the O-Zone. I think that's a good idea for games specifically like tonight.

Apparently Raanta has been put on waivers. Not sure what this means going forward. Anderson is not close to returning. Lots of smoke about trading for Karel Vejmelka from Arizona. I doubt they bring up Yaniv Perets, who played a few preseason games. He is straight out of college and wasn't anything special, but he is doing well in the AHL/ECHL Something had to happen with the goalie situation, so I guess this is step 1.

Did they put him on waivers or just send him down to AHL or does putting on waivers automatically send him down? The way everyone is talking is that he's down in Chicago AHL

I believe he agreed to go back to the AHL once no one claimed him off waivers.

Yaniv Perets, they called him up from the AHL when Raanta was sent down.

Yeah he cleared waivers, meaning no one else wanted him, even with his minimum salary. So they sent him to Chicago to see if he regains his game, Waddell said tonight that Anderson has been cleared to practice now but is still a month or so away. Koochie has played well in his last 3 games, so he will keep the net for the next 3 games before having a back to back at the end of the month.

There is an area where people line up behind section 129 at the hurricane’s foundation table. They obvious don’t sell them until right after warmups are done and they collect them all but I know I see people lining up before warm ups are over to get them. You can also get a free “first game certificate” from the foundation table if you want.

Appreciate it! Puck and certificate were acquired, and the boy had a blast. That the game went the distance was a nice bonus.

Although, that was probably the most uneventful OT period I've ever witnessed. Carbery clearly instructed a possession-at-all-costs game plan (likely because the Canes dominated the 3rd, and the back-to-back was catching up to Washington) - like camping, it's a legitimate strategy, but I don't blame anyone who boo'ed that performance.

I was surprised to hear Rod almost compliment the strategy (and Kuzy's slow-ass shootout technique), but I think he was answering as a competitor and strategist first, because you know everyone else wanted something fast-paced with scoring chances galore.

It sucked to watch OT as a Canes fan, but completely made sense from a Caps perspective, coming off a back-to-back and the fact that they had been so good in shootouts this year (per the broadcast).

Yeah we excel in OT, so I don't blame the Caps for doing what it took to get it to the shootout. It was disappointing as a viewer because OT hockey is normally one of the most exciting things in sports.

Canes are just mediocre this year. They’ve grit and grinded their way to dominance in the past 4 seasons with a roster of solid defenders playing much better than the sum of their parts, and it’s just not working this year. Our style of play is not elevating our roster, probably the opposite right now. Regarding offense - our dump and chase scramble drill strategy doesn’t consistently produce enough goals to overcome a leaky inconsistent defense. We should have traded Pesce or Skjai for a winger this past offseason. Every year we have the same commentary, that the Canes are lacking finishing skill. It’s the most expensive commodity in Hockey and we have pretty obviously been trying to strategize our way around paying for it. I wonder how much longer we are going to keep avoiding that roster skill deficit.

Back