• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIT bubble watch

I don't understand opting out. Even if they don't care, UNC has a number of players who would benefit from playing some actual minutes in a forum like the NIT.

I also think there would be a lot of pressure on teams to accept the bid.

A year after the high of beating Duke in the Final Four? I get it.

Of the remaining conference tourneys here are the teams that would go to the NIT if they don't win their conference tourney:

A-10: VCU
MEAC: Howard
WAC: Utah Valley
Ivy: Yale or Princeton
Big West: UC-Irvine or UC-Santa Barbara
MAC: Toledo
MAAC: Iona
America East: Vermont

All of the above teams are in their conference semis, except for Vermont who is in the AE Finals. Not sure how the NIT deals with teams that tied for a regular season title like Yale and Princeton in the Ivy or UCI and USSB in the Big West.

Last edited:
The more practice you get, the better you will be. UNC isn’t going to make the NCAA, thus they need the practice.

Of the remaining conference tourneys here are the teams that would go to the NIT if they don't win their conference tourney:

All of the above teams are in their conference semis, except for Vermont who is the AE Finals. Not sure how the NIT deals with teams that tied for a regular season title like Yale and Princeton in the Ivy or UCI and USSB in the Big West.
I'm fairly certain the automatic NIT bid would only be awarded to the top-seed in the conference tournament in this scenario.

Then, Yale and UC-Irvine are two teams that would "steal" an NIT bid if they don't win their conference tournament

All of the above teams are in their conference semis, except for Vermont who is in the AE Finals. Not sure how the NIT deals with teams that tied for a regular season title like Yale and Princeton in the Ivy or UCI and USSB in the Big West.

no idea if these guys are right, but this site says Yale is the Ivy's regular-season champion who would get an NIT auto-bid

Ivy League

• Auto-Bid Contenders: Yale
  • In the Mix (High):
  • Sweet Spot:
  • In the Mix (Low):

A year after the high of beating Duke in the Final Four? I get it.

I get that a blue blood program wouldn't want to play, but I imagine the NCAA would push them to do it given they now own/control both the NCAA & NIT tourneys.

Have teams opted out since the NCAA took control? I honestly don't know.

I get that a blue blood program wouldn't want to play, but I imagine the NCAA would push them to do it given they now own/control both the NCAA & NIT tourneys.

Have teams opted out since the NCAA took control? I honestly don't know.

in 2021, yes, but that was the Covid year.

Can see why some players/coaches would not want to go through another game watching Caleb Love clank 10 of his 12 three point attempts. The thing is UNC has four star sophs and freshman (Seth Trimble, Jalen Washington, Dontrez Styles and D'Marco Dunn) that have been wasting away on the UNC bench. Might want to use the NIT to see if any those guys have game.

Well you'd like to believe that a team would do that but given Hubert's coaching this year we'll probably just get to watch Love fire up 28 more shots a game

don't competitors want to keep playing? an anybody, anywhere type of mindset?
Yea, if anything, it’s like a bowl game in that it never hurts to play a decent team in the sport for which you have a scholarship. If you lose, big deal—no one’s paying attention anyway. Otherwise, it’s a great opportunity to play solid programs and/or go on the road to clarify what each player needs to work on if they want to make the tournament next year.

Yea, if anything, it’s like a bowl game in that it never hurts to play a decent team in the sport for which you have a scholarship. If you lose, big deal—no one’s paying attention anyway. Otherwise, it’s a great opportunity to play solid programs and/or go on the road to clarify what each player needs to work on if they want to make the tournament next year.
It would be good for Wake to get an NIT bid. If I'm Forbes, I might try Cam at the point for 10-15 minutes. See what that looks like. Also would like Cam to have the opportunity to take some more threes.

I would bet UNC’s athletic department just wants this season to go away. Being in the NIT would probably cause more consternation among their fans, who think they’re above that, than just closing up shop and focusing on next year. Plus they’d only lose again, thus stirring up all the criticism of Hubert one more time.

I would bet UNC’s athletic department just wants this season to go away. Being in the NIT would probably cause more consternation among their fans, who think they’re above that, than just closing up shop and focusing on next year. Plus they’d only lose again, thus stirring up all the criticism of Hubert one more time.
UNC fans are so clueless/arrogant about basketball generally, the AD could tell everyone the NCAA decided the Dean Dome should get to host the first round of March Madness and the fans would all show up assuming it is true because they deserve it.

In 2010, UNC was coming off winning a NC, and they had a rough year going 16-16. That UNC team accepted a NIT bid, and went to the finals losing to Dayton coached by soon-to-be GT coach Brian Gregory. So, UNC has "lowered itself" to play in the NIT before.

Similarly, in 2013, when KY was at the height of their powers and coming off a Natty in 2012, they missed the NCAAT and accepted a NIT bid. Hilariously, KY could not use Rupp because the NCAAT was being played there, so KY played at Robert Morris and lost.

The NIT could be like the ACC Tournament Jr... Pittsburgh? Clemson? NCSU? UNC? VT? Wake?

Maybe we'll get a rematch with Wisconsin!

Back