• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIT bubble watch

Of the remaining conference tourneys here are the teams that would go to the NIT if they don't win their conference tourney:

A-10: VCU
MEAC: Howard
WAC: Utah Valley
Ivy: Yale or Princeton
Big West: UC-Irvine or UC-Santa Barbara
MAC: Toledo
MAAC: Iona
America East: Vermont

All of the above teams are in their conference semis, except for Vermont who is in the AE Finals. Not sure how the NIT deals with teams that tied for a regular season title like Yale and Princeton in the Ivy or UCI and USSB in the Big West.
Pilchard amazes me.

If UNC had any sense they'd fire Hubie, accept the NIT bid, and give an assistant a shot.

Fortunately for Wake Forest basketball, they don't.

I can think of a few perfectly good reasons why a team might decline an NIT invite. UNC declining one just because they think it's beneath them and because they think they have a birthright to an annual NCAA bid is not on the short list. What a bunch of total losers.

But as other people pointed out, that does not mean we are "105" because there are a substantial number of automatic bids given out to conference tournament winners plus regular season winners who did not win their conference tournament.

The NIT FF is being played in Vegas this year, not MSG where it has been I think my entire life. So that might be motivation for a team to accept a bid and try to win the games. Next year it's in Indy, might see some declines.

The current system is flawed and needs to be scrapped.
The NCAA likes money. So the next logical step is to expand to 76 teams. You'll no longer have the first four, but the first eight, spread over two nights, but with just four more games. All 16s will play each other, and the mix of 11s/12s.

The NCAA likes money. So the next logical step is to expand to 76 teams. You'll no longer have the first four, but the first eight, spread over two nights, but with just four more games. All 16s will play each other, and the mix of 11s/12s.
Invite the entire Mtn West!

The NIT FF is being played in Vegas this year, not MSG where it has been I think my entire life. So that might be motivation for a team to accept a bid and try to win the games. Next year it's in Indy, might see some declines.
Wow. That's a major change.

The NCAA transformation committee has recommended 25% of teams qualify for all its championships, which would mean 90 (for now) in hoop

I’m not sure that’s a fair characterization. The depth was just too shallow. It’s more fatigue than focus IMO.
Yes, we were a player or two short. Then 2-3 short when Monsanto went out. That team busted its ass this year. Just came up short because we were a little short on talent.

This sucks. I know I'm being an old man here, but the NIT final 4 should always be at MSG.

In 2010, UNC was coming off winning a NC, and they had a rough year going 16-16. That UNC team accepted a NIT bid, and went to the finals losing to Dayton coached by soon-to-be GT coach Brian Gregory. So, UNC has "lowered itself" to play in the NIT before.

Similarly, in 2013, when KY was at the height of their powers and coming off a Natty in 2012, they missed the NCAAT and accepted a NIT bid. Hilariously, KY could not use Rupp because the NCAAT was being played there, so KY played at Robert Morris and lost.

Coron Williams started for that Robert Morris team.

I’m cool with ending the season on a somewhat high note. I’m not really feeling a loss at Hofstra or something like that.

Back