• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIT bubble watch

Surprised a certain poster hadn’t chimed in about the great call Wester made

I started this thread mostly tongue-in-cheek after wondering if somebody with no life had an NIT bubble watch thread, and discovered there actually is such a thing. So all-in on it now; let me know if there's a WNIT bubble watch out there.
I did find some WNIT projections and posted them in the women's hoops thread. This projection has the Lady Deacs firmly in the field.

LOL at Cincy. I mean, they have more college hoops pedigree than we do, but Bob Huggins ain't walking through that door.

I don't think Wake gets in unless they catch a lot of breaks (such as, for example, schools like Cincy deciding they're above playing in the NIT). Curious whether we would accept a CBI invite, assuming that's even still happening and you still have to pay to play.
There were no P5 teams in the CBI last year. I seriously doubt Wake would be interested.

Questionable from WES!, especially as his team heads into the thunderdome that is the Big 12 next year. You'd think the more games vs. quality opposition they can play the better, though with roster turnover the way it is now maybe it doesn't matter

Baylor won the NIT a few years before winning the NCAA tournament. I'm sure Scott Drew would say that experience helped him be a better tournament coach.

The last bracket that site did has Wake in. That includes NC & Cincy which I’m assuming say no to invite.

Wes must have planned a non-refundable family trip. Cincy doesn’t even think about Final 4s let alone set that as their bar. F’in stupid.

I’m embarrassed for Wes. That is such a blustery, ill-conceived attempt at making Cincy seem more important than it is in the eyes of recruits. It’s their loss and I suspect those words are only going to come back to haunt him.
Yeah I mean it’s not the end all job. Their last coach went to one.

With the NCAA going off the deep end rewarding "losing the right way," the NIT definitely has more meaning than it used to. There was some good basketball last year with us, A&M, Xavier, Vandy, etc. Teams like Indiana and Wyoming putting up garbage performances in the NCAA tourney made it pretty clear the bubble decisions were awful.

I get that the early-round NIT games will never matter to anyone, but if the nonsense continues you could make a real product out of the NIT Final Four. Maybe that's the idea...

With the NCAA going off the deep end rewarding "losing the right way," the NIT definitely has more meaning than it used to. There was some good basketball last year with us, A&M, Xavier, Vandy, etc. Teams like Indiana and Wyoming putting up garbage performances in the NCAA tourney made it pretty clear the bubble decisions were awful.

I get that the early-round NIT games will never matter to anyone, but if the nonsense continues you could make a real product out of the NIT Final Four. Maybe that's the idea...
I wish this was right, but the NIT has less meaning than ever and that meaning is declining.

I still want to see us in it, but we are part of a VERY small niche market that’ll care.

Last year Xavier beat Texas A&M in the finals

Two years ago Memphis beat Mississippi State.

For a program like Cincinnati the NIT is absolutely something to build on.

UNC declining their bid makes total sense.

Back