• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No Labels third party ticket

The reff hates the costs of actually doing business and taking care of your employees.
Loved my employees and took great care of them with raises and retirement plan. Had one with me over 20 years. Now love being retired even more and collecting my SS which came today into my account.

No, just saying that most people do not understand what their employers are actually doing. Everybody hates that “Fica guy” when it comes out of your check at 7.65% for SS & Medicare. Most people who work for another person or large company do not realize that that person or company has to match FICA as part if being the employer. Just part of being in business and keeping SS in business so to speak.

But a small employer like most of us were, and let’s say you had a payroll of $100,000, that costs you $7650 per year out of your pocket. (Not counting any other benefits you paid your employees such as group health and retirement/401k).
You think most people don't know that employers pay payroll taxes?

Loved my employees and took great care of them with raises and retirement plan. Had one with me over 20 years. Now love being retired even more and collecting my SS which came today into my account.
OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET!

No, just saying that most people do not understand what their employers are actually doing. Everybody hates that “Fica guy” when it comes out of your check at 7.65% for SS & Medicare. Most people who work for another person or large company do not realize that that person or company has to match FICA as part if being the employer. Just part of being in business and keeping SS in business so to speak.

But a small employer like most of us were, and let’s say you had a payroll of $100,000, that costs you $7650 per year out of your pocket. (Not counting any other benefits you paid your employees such as group health and retirement/401k).
Most people definitely understand that companies match FICA as part of the regular course of business. It's right there in everybody's pay stub

I did love the Trump tax cut that helped all Americans and gave all of us small business owners the 20% pass through deduction. I noticed you didn’t give Trump any credit for that one. Hmmmmmm
I was just counteracting your whine by pointing out that you have a huge benefit being self-employed that other income earners don't get.

Is the QBID great for me personally? Absolutely
Is it really equitable that I get a 20% deduction off my taxable income at the highest marginal rates where a wage earner doesn't? Not really
Is it good tax policy to play favorites like this? No.

I was just counteracting your whine by pointing out that you have a huge benefit being self-employed that other income earners don't get.

Is the QBID great for me personally? Absolutely
Is it really equitable that I get a 20% deduction off my taxable income at the highest marginal rates where a wage earner doesn't? Not really
Is it good tax policy to play favorites like this? No.
Tax brackets for every individual also fell by 3-4% thru 2025 also. It wasn’t just for businesses. But the new corporate tax rate of 21% was certainly more fair and seemed to stimulate the economy.

You think most people don't know that employers pay payroll taxes?
No, most employees have no clue how much all their benefits cost their employer. In fact being here in Winston and going back to the “hey day” of RJ Reynolds when they matched 6% on their stock, provided the dental care & health care facilities just off Silas Creek/Stratford where all that was free for employees, plus vacation & sick leave, they estimated that was an extra 50% on top of the great pay RJR had from late 70’s thru mid-90’s. Plus of course matching payroll taxes

The amount employers are contributing is plain as day provided in both your insurance information and your paycheck so, again, yes most employees almost certainly know how much their employers are "graciously" matching/providing.

These are labor costs. If you can't pay them out or won't, you shouldn't be starting a business. It's the cost of having people provide their services for you in exchange for payment.

No, most employees have no clue how much all their benefits cost their employer. In fact being here in Winston and going back to the “hey day” of RJ Reynolds when they matched 6% on their stock, provided the dental care & health care facilities just off Silas Creek/Stratford where all that was free for employees, plus vacation & sick leave, they estimated that was an extra 50% on top of the great pay RJR had from late 70’s thru mid-90’s. Plus of course matching payroll taxes
Should I trust reff to be the arbiter of what "most employees" have a clue about?

Most employers do a much better job now of communicating total compensation to their employees. Going back to the days when Winston was basically a company town doesn't help your argument.

There are many things that an employer has to pay above and beyond an employee's salary. Some are optional, some are not. All of it is paid out of company revenues (or PPP loans). If you're still paying them out of your own pocket, pull yourself up by your bootstraps and increase your company revenue, big boy.

Don't bitch about paying the mandatory costs while bragging about paying the optional ones. If you want to reduce the cost of labor, you've got places to cut costs, so cut the optional ones and see how that works out for employee morale and your ability to recruit, which you'll no doubt start bitching about then.

Remind me, why are we talking about this?

You answered my question then—you have not employed them yourself and have not ever matched the employees FICA out of your own pocket. That is what self employed people that run a business with employees have to do. It costs them the extra 7.65% of matching FICA out of their own bottom line.

Your employees did not cost you anything out of your pocket at all. Federal taxpayers paid for them.
I'm not sure you understand what "out of your own pocket" means

Back