• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

shit I thought I had a few months.

I don't think that response was to you.

We don't know how long long you are protected - unfortunately, that is one of many unknowns. Probably at least months, though.

There would be literally no teacher at my high school right now if this protocol was adhered to.

That's probably correct, and why in person gatherings don't work during a raging pandemic.

I don't think that response was to you.

We don't know how long long you are protected - unfortunately, that is one of many unknowns. Probably at least months, though.

Ahh gotcha, thanks. Yeah, I'm hoping months

This bears repeating. If you have confirmed contact with a confirmed case then you need to quarantine for 14 days despite any negative test you may have received.

Yep, this is where some confusion lies.

- If you have an exposure (close contact with a positive individual for > 15 minutes and no masks) you need to quarantine for 14 days and a negative test is meaningless in regards to the length of the quarantine.
- If you have COVID, then you need to isolate for at least 10 days since symptoms started and 24 hours without a fever.

We have such high community spread that mathematically the number of reported reinfections would be a lot higher than is currently known if immunity waned quickly. You are good for at least 6 months, if not much longer. Those media stories of antibodies waning and contraction were just straight clickbait scare tactics to feed to people that know nothing about immunology.

bad optics aside, do people who had covid in the last three months really need to wear masks?

There's a bar in Clemmons called Rizzo's that we dropped by this weekend. We felt comfortable doing so since we are confident we can't catch anything for the time being. Well, Ho Lee Shit...No one, and I mean no one was wearing a mask. Not the bartenders, no one. There was a Skynyrd cover band playing outside with about 50 folks watching. It was like walking into an alternate universe where COVID didn't exist. We will not be going back, regardless of COVID situation, due to the ridiculous carelessness of management and the patrons that were there.

bad optics aside, do people who had covid in the last three months really need to wear masks?

Yes. People that had covid, or were vaccinated and know they received the actual vaccine, may still be able to carry active virus in their nasopharnyx and spread it to others.

There's a bar in Clemmons called Rizzo's that we dropped by this weekend. We felt comfortable doing so since we are confident we can't catch anything for the time being. Well, Ho Lee Shit...No one, and I mean no one was wearing a mask. Not the bartenders, no one. There was a Skynyrd cover band playing outside with about 50 folks watching. It was like walking into an alternate universe where COVID didn't exist. We will not be going back, regardless of COVID situation, due to the ridiculous carelessness of management and the patrons that were there.

Sounds fun.

Sounds fun.

We did have a good time. A couple weird encounters. There was a food truck selling cheese steaks. I went up and ordered one. 3 bros approached me and were all "must be nice being able to afford a $14 cheesesteak"... I didn't know how to respond other than "yeah, I guess so"... then one bro said "I bet dat shit good doe...Lemme get a little"...About that time my wife came back outside from the bathroom and we got in the Lyft car. 2020, man. Weird shit everywhere

We did have a good time. A couple weird encounters. There was a food truck selling cheese steaks. I went up and ordered one. 3 bros approached me and were all "must be nice being able to afford a $14 cheesesteak"... I didn't know how to respond other than "yeah, I guess so"... then one bro said "I bet dat shit good doe...Lemme get a little"...About that time my wife came back outside from the bathroom and we got in the Lyft car. 2020, man. Weird shit everywhere

Sounds like a pretty typical Clemmons experience to me.

As in, he was asking for a bite of your cheesesteak or he was going to go buy one for himself?

As in, he was asking for a bite of your cheesesteak or he was going to go buy one for himself?

He was asking me to give him a portion of my cheesesteak because he and his buddies couldn't muster up $14 to buy one. If the Deacs had won I probably would've been feeling generous and maybe just bough them one but I was rage drunk angry and wanted to hurt any feelings I came across.

It is the beginning of the end for the COVID-19 pandemic.

I mean, it'll be late Spring / early Summer before cases really come in, but it sounds like there are going to be enough doses for the US & EU to end this debacle in 2021. The most up-to-date estimate I've seen is that every American will have access to a vaccine by June. It could be even sooner if the other vaccines in late-stage development work as well as what we've seen so far.

Concerns about people not taking it are overblown. I was in the camp that a lot of people wouldn't take it right away, but efficacy is the #1 factor for consumers deciding whether or not to take it. It works... And if it works at 95%+, people will take it.

Beyond that, treatments are improving at a rapid rate due to a number of factors.

To be clear, I'm not saying it is time for life to return to normal... But it appears that we're only a few months away from that "renormalization" process beginning in earnest.

Anyone with any good info on antibodies and how long until my wife and I have to worry about catching and/or spreading again?

We both had it the first week of October.

My daughter's friend just got it for a second time - she was told she was the 25th confirmed second-infection case in the US. I think she had it the first time in April or May...

I’m listening to a presentation just this minute about how online misinformation plummets people’s willingness to take a COVID-19 vaccine. After all said in done this study shows 38.8% in the US would be willing. I mean look at the damn election, any optimism about people’s willingness to take a vaccine is misplaced, people are dumb.

Back