• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

My daughter's friend just got it for a second time - she was told she was the 25th confirmed second-infection case in the US. I think she had it the first time in April or May...

Wow...Sucks to hear that. Thank you for the info

I’m listening to a presentation just this minute about how online misinformation plummets people’s willingness to take a COVID-19 vaccine. After all said in done this study shows 38.8% in the US would be willing. I mean look at the damn election, any optimism about people’s willingness to take a vaccine is misplaced, people are dumb.

This was my thought, too. However, there was a recent study indicating that, by far, the biggest factor in consumer decision making on a vaccine was how well it works. That ~40% figure jumps to ~65% at ~90% efficacy.

Other findings from that study were that an endorsement from Trump or Biden meant very little. A CDC endorsement was more significant.

The origin on the vaccine also mattered... If it comes from the US, people are much more likely to take it.

And my personal opinion is that the Dems will figure out a way to almost mandate that you have to take it... They can't explicitly do that, of course, but employer health insurance could make it necessary for people to be vaccinated in order to go back to work. Or something along those lines.

People don't wear seatbelts, either.

You don't need anything near 100% compliance at 90%+ efficacy.

what's the current thinking re: whether we'll need to be vaccinated annually like the flu?

He was asking me to give him a portion of my cheesesteak because he and his buddies couldn't muster up $14 to buy one. If the Deacs had won I probably would've been feeling generous and maybe just bough them one but I was rage drunk angry and wanted to hurt any feelings I came across.
Based on statistics and science and stuff, they were probably Carolina fans. So you made the right decision not to share

Anyone with any good info on antibodies and how long until my wife and I have to worry about catching and/or spreading again?

We both had it the first week of October.

A friend almost certainly got it in March but wasn't tested because there weren't enough tests (in bed for 12 days with a fever and a cough and pneumonia), and then he definitely got it again in July with positive tests for the whole family. He was less sick the second time but his wife said it took her 6 weeks to get back to 90% of preCovid normal.

Whatamount, you are probably outside that duration and perhaps should get an antibody test.

what's the current thinking re: whether we'll need to be vaccinated annually like the flu?

This thread gives a nice explanation of mRNA vaccines and their efficacy over time:

A friend almost certainly got it in March but wasn't tested because there weren't enough tests (in bed for 12 days with a fever and a cough and pneumonia), and then he definitely got it again in July with positive tests for the whole family. He was less sick the second time but his wife said it took her 6 weeks to get back to 90% of preCovid normal.

Whatamount, you are probably outside that duration and perhaps should get an antibody test.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I had a friend who had it a little before I did and she just tested positive for the bodies.

appropriate analogies for the psychology of following safety measures, but poor analogies for public safety analysis

41lm9ivTq5L._SY450_.jpg

Have a good friend who was fired from her nursing position in Fargo on friday because she complained to her supervisors about unsafe working conditions.

Not a good time to be in the Dakotas

Have a good friend who was fired from her nursing position in Fargo on friday because she complained to her supervisors about unsafe working conditions.

In a functioning government, OSHA would have made this type of retaliation illegal. Instead, we’re taking about giving companies immunity from liability suits.

(All non-political of course)

Not that this is much of a consolation, but if she has a pulse, finding a better employer in her field should be relatively easy... given that the Dakotas are among a group of states that have put out open calls for retired nurses to return to work, etc.

Not that this is much of a consolation, but if she has a pulse, finding a better employer in her field should be relatively easy... given that the Dakotas are among a group of states that have put out open calls for retired nurses to return to work, etc.

Oh yea, she's a traveler she'll be alright.

In a functioning government, OSHA would have made this type of retaliation illegal. Instead, we’re taking about giving companies immunity from liability suits.

(All non-political of course)

Hurray for “less regulation” pro-“business” governance!

Non-politically.

Back