• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I would’ve thought national treasures would’ve been sought after way before they open it up to smokers.

31M1zktmxvL._AC_.jpg

Biff are you like the designated survivor of OGBoards?

Are there links for this 80% reduction in transmission stat? I have looked for articles on this, and haven't found much of anything. I definitely have not seen something suggesting an 80% effectiveness.

The most I have seen are links that say that the viral load is more quickly lower for people that have been vaccinated, and that this could lead to less transmission because the higher viral loads are more easily spread.

COVID-19: mRNA vaccines reduce symptom-free cases by 80%

People with SARS-CoV-2, which is the virus that causes COVID-19, who show no symptoms may account for more than half of all transmission cases of the disease.
A new study helps alleviate concerns that people who have been vaccinated may still be vulnerable to symptom-free, or “asymptomatic,” COVID-19 and will, therefore, spread the virus to others.
The study suggests that people who have had two doses of a messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine are 80% less likely to develop asymptomatic COVID-19 than people who have not been vaccinated.

Are there links for this 80% reduction in transmission stat? I have looked for articles on this, and haven't found much of anything. I definitely have not seen something suggesting an 80% effectiveness.

The most I have seen are links that say that the viral load is more quickly lower for people that have been vaccinated, and that this could lead to less transmission because the higher viral loads are more easily spread.

Summary here: https://www.advisory.com/en/daily-briefing/2021/03/04/vaccine-transmission

I get that everyone wants to put a number to something, but I'm not sure it's super helpful in this case for the public.

If you get COVID and recover, you've got antibodies (absent some immunocompromised people). If you get an mRNA vaccine, you've got comparable antibodies to someone who has recovered from the disease.

Having antibodies means that you won't get sick if you're given a low exposure to the disease. And if you have a huge amount of the disease dumped on you, you will probably get sick, but probably won't die.

That's about it. Anything beyond that is just statistics that aren't going to impact any given individual case.

I'm frustrated by people who say, "the vaccine doesn't prevent you from spreading it." Because that's technically true, but it's meaningless - we're vaccinating so that we can resume our lives pre-COVID. Will people still get sick? Fuck yeah they will. But that's the future we're dealt.

Two follow ups Knight:

1) if someone has a mild or asymptomatic case and recovers, are they going to generate the same immune response as someone who got a standardized dose of the vaccine? I’m honestly not sure.

2) I think the messaging around spreading is that your vaccine protects you, but not other people. As long as a lot of the population remains unvaccinated it’s irresponsible to go out and potentially spread the virus, even if you aren’t going to get sick. That’s why the CDC says it’s fine to gather with other vaccinated people.

So, Knight now knows more than Fauci, the US medical community and the medical communities of EU and other countries.

He must have been living at a Holiday Express for decades to learn more than all of those people about Covid.

Sure, can almost never talk in absolutes. But there seems to be this idea going around that it doesn't do anything to prevent spread, which is clearly wrong.

Sure, can almost never talk in absolutes. But there seems to be this idea going around that it doesn't do anything to prevent spread, which is clearly wrong.

Yeah. Only a sith does that bullshit.

Yeah the lab rat is just wrong when it comes to antibodies and what a vaccine does in comparison to what an infection does.

Think of the coronavirus as a mosquito and the mRNA vaccines go pew pew to the mosquito then the mosquito doesn’t want or need blood any more

I'm not trying to be obtuse. For real.

Like, there are MD's on here who have more scientific education than I do. I've got lab experience with mRNA, but not in the context of vaccines. I understand the vector and (roughly) the mechanisms that Pfizer/Moderna use. I haven't seen reliable information that indicates that the antibody response from the mRNA vaccines materially differ from a naturally acquired immune response to a COVID infection.

I know that some vaccines for other illnesses function on different vectors/mechanisms and have different protective benefits. But I have no reason to believe that a Pfizer vaccine isn't just as good as getting infected with COVID from a disease insulation standpoint.

Anecdotally, Pfizer turned me into a god damned superman. I've been exposed to COVID at least six times on paper (like, straight up been with someone for an extended time minutes/hours before they test positive and I've been notified), and at least a dozen times where I strongly suspect that the person that I've interacted with had COVID, but I didn't get paper notification.

I've been in a jail cell for 30 minutes with a motherfucker eating a PB&J, spitting fucking pieces of it on my suit as he talks to me. Dude tested positive less than six hours after that. I was a little worn out after, but no other impact.

I've been tested for the virus 11 times and once for antibodies. All virus tests negative, antibodies positive.

Like, there are MD's on here who have more scientific education than I do. I've got lab experience with mRNA, but not in the context of vaccines. I understand the vector and (roughly) the mechanisms that Pfizer/Moderna use. I haven't seen reliable information that indicates that the antibody response from the mRNA vaccines materially differ from a naturally acquired immune response to a COVID infection.

I know that some vaccines for other illnesses function on different vectors/mechanisms and have different protective benefits. But I have no reason to believe that a Pfizer vaccine isn't just as good as getting infected with COVID from a disease insulation standpoint.

Anecdotally, Pfizer turned me into a god damned superman. I've been exposed to COVID at least six times on paper (like, straight up been with someone for an extended time minutes/hours before they test positive and I've been notified), and at least a dozen times where I strongly suspect that the person that I've interacted with had COVID, but I didn't get paper notification.

I've been in a jail cell for 30 minutes with a motherfucker eating a PB&J, spitting fucking pieces of it on my suit as he talks to me. Dude tested positive less than six hours after that. I was a little worn out after, but no other impact.

I've been tested for the virus 11 times and once for antibodies. All virus tests negative, antibodies positive.

Not all COVID infections are equal. And there is still an element of uncertainty here. But the thought is that while some infections do provide a robust and likely durable immune response, others, particularly very mild or asymptomatic infections, may not. There are a bunch of studies now looking at waning antibody response. Response to the vaccine is much more predictable. Also growing body of evidence that the vaccine really does provide more -bodies. One example here. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2032195

But I have no reason to believe that a Pfizer vaccine isn't just as good as getting infected with COVID from a disease insulation standpoint.

I think our point is that vaccine is BETTER than getting infected. Because you’re getting a predictable standardized dose instead of a random number of viral particles that may or may not create an immune response.

This is what we need to be seeing all over the news.

Back