• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I think our point is that vaccine is BETTER than getting infected. Because you’re getting a predictable standardized dose instead of a random number of viral particles that may or may not create an immune response.

There's a reason the former President got vaccinated after he recovered from infection.

There's a reason the former President got vaccinated after he recovered from infection.

Eh...that's a bridge to far. He was treated with a special drug that would have seriously inhibited his body's ability to form a coherent response. He was basically injected with a shitload of pre-made antibodies. Makes sense for him to get the vaccine to cover those bases, and just from an optics standpoint.

Eh...that's a bridge to far. He was treated with a special drug that would have seriously inhibited his body's ability to form a coherent response. He was basically injected with a shitload of pre-made antibodies. Makes sense for him to get the vaccine to cover those bases, and just from an optics standpoint.

what? this makes no sense

Eh...that's a bridge to far. He was treated with a special drug that would have seriously inhibited his body's ability to form a coherent response. He was basically injected with a shitload of bleach. Makes sense for him to get the vaccine to cover those bases, and just from an optics standpoint.

phixed

what? this makes no sense

CPT. How do you not know about these things? It's distilling antibodies from a previously infected person. It's why, early on, they were asking recovered people to donate plasma all the time.

Convalescent plasma (kon-vuh-LES-unt PLAZ-muh) therapy uses blood from people who've recovered from an illness to help others recover.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized convalescent plasma therapy for people with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The FDA is allowing its use during the pandemic because there's no approved treatment for COVID-19.

Blood donated by people who've recovered from COVID-19 has antibodies to the virus that causes it. The donated blood is processed to remove blood cells, leaving behind liquid (plasma) and antibodies. These can be given to people with COVID-19 to boost their ability to fight the virus.

I'm starting to think that the general public's ability to absorb scientific information is just crazy low. Juice is an ultra-educated brainiac. Maybe it is rocket science.

CPT. How do you not know about these things? It's distilling antibodies from a previously infected person. It's why, early on, they were asking recovered people to donate plasma all the time.

I'm starting to think that the general public's ability to absorb scientific information is just crazy low. Juice is an ultra-educated brainiac. Maybe it is rocket science.

Starting to think? Where have you been?

show me where the research says CPT prevents one's body from developing its own antibodies?

because otherwise, it's CPT (antibodies) plus your own antibodies

thus what makes no sense is your claim that someone like Trump (CPT patient) would be different in its antibody protection from someone who was not a CPT patient

I see nothing that says CPT is in lieu of one's body's own production, but is a supplement/jump start

and if your case is that those who got sick already have antibodies and don't need a vax, there's no support that a CPT patient would be any different, thus there is no "bridge too far"

but if I'm wrong on CPT preventing your own body from creating the immune system response, then I'll concede -- I just don't see it

and, to boot, the research will have to pre-date January, when Trump got the vax

show me where the research says CPT prevents one's body from developing its own antibodies?

because otherwise, it's CPT (antibodies) plus your own antibodies

thus what makes no sense is your claim that someone like Trump (CPT patient) would be different in its antibody protection from someone who was not a CPT patient

I see nothing that says CPT is in lieu of one's body's own production, but is a supplement/jump start

and if your case is that those who got sick already have antibodies and don't need a vax, there's no support that a CPT patient would be any different, thus there is no "bridge too far"

but if I'm wrong on CPT preventing your own body from creating the immune system response, then I'll concede -- I just don't see it

and, to boot, the research will have to pre-date January, when Trump got the vax

I mean, define your dub how you want.

Your body doesn't use antibodies to make more antibodies. Antibodies are also passive - they aren't active like a T-cell.

I'm leveraging my knowledge about the immune system to draw the conclusion that if you have a shitload of passive antibodies dumped into your bloodstream, and that routes the infection before your B-cells/immune response can kick in, then it's going to significantly hinder your body's ability to produce it's own antibodies.

That research isn't really valuable right now, when there's so many other pressing things to look at. We know CPT works gud; especially to quell violent cases.

My daughter had covid back in May/June and just had her antibodies tested and she still has them... She was pretty sick so clearly had a good viral load.

I mean, define your dub how you want.

Your body doesn't use antibodies to make more antibodies. Antibodies are also passive - they aren't active like a T-cell.

I'm leveraging my knowledge about the immune system to draw the conclusion that if you have a shitload of passive antibodies dumped into your bloodstream, and that routes the infection before your B-cells/immune response can kick in, then it's going to significantly hinder your body's ability to produce it's own antibodies.

That research isn't really valuable right now, when there's so many other pressing things to look at. We know CPT works gud; especially to quell violent cases.

lol, okay

the five articles I looked at said it assisted the body in its own production

but we'll go with your knowledge of the immune system

We are probably past this but vaccines vs natural infection is no where close to being the same thing for many many reasons, like write a book reasons. It was already hinted on that the variation in antibody generation in a naturally acquired infection can be huge, like 200 times difference for natural infection. A vaccine is much more comparable from person to person, yes their will be variability but it will be much less so.

For a simplistic explanation imagine a door that is locked and you need to open the door. In this case the door is a virus, and opening it will neutralize it. Now imagine that door has 100s of different keyholes but only one actually opens the door, some might crack it a little, others don't make it move at all. The different keys to all these keyholes are your antibodies. In a natural infection you have a big pile of keys and you are just trying each key in different keyholes trying to find one that works. Sometimes you even remember hey I have this key laying around from before that use to work ill even try that. In a vaccine you have 100s of keyholes, they all open the door, and you also only have one key type.

If anyone wants to learn anything more in depth I would be happy to answer questions. I think its commendable for anyone to try and understand things that most people have no idea about, is super complex, and something you normally would never give a single thought to. The downside is that trying to learn it from random sources, especially the dumb dumb media is sometimes worse than not knowing anything because of agendas or just their lack of understanding before reporting. Hell right now you can't google anything scientific without the default relating it back to Covid which is super annoying.

If anyone wants to learn anything more in depth I would be happy to answer questions.

Here’s a question I think I know the answer to, but would love an expert opinion.

If you were in a vaccine study, even if you have antibodies to the virus, that doesn’t necessarily mean you have a. Been vaccinated (could’ve been from exposure) or b. Received the recommended dosage volume, number or time in-between (might know this one). It’s not until you’ve been unblinded, that you’ll know for sure.

It might be that you received a smaller volume of the vaccine for dose 1 and saline for dose 2. You’d still have antibodies, but not reflect the 95% efficacy that people who get 2 doses of the recommended volume would.

If anyone wants to learn anything more in depth I would be happy to answer questions.

How do antibodies acquired from previous infection differ from antibodies acquired from vaccination?

In the case of a person who recovered from a mild case of COVID, how does the vaccine response compliment/boost/interact with the antibodies developed from infection?

Back