• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Midterm Election Discussion Thread

Ooh 2.5 mil for the Wake Forest fire station.

Theres more than just that in the Winston Lake project

Winston Lake Park Renovations – Phase I

In line with the City Council’s strategic objective for expanded open space and recreation facilities, this project would provide for further development of Winston Lake Park. A master plan was completed for the park in FY 2012-13, showing a total renovation cost of approximately $25 million. Phase I of that master plan would include the water works splash park (a zero-depth splash pad) and aquatics center with restrooms, bathroom/shower facilities, concessions, picnic shelters, and bleachers. It also would include an outdoor, competitive pool with diving area, a water tower/slide, and a lazy river feature.

Skins, you seem really excited about this for someone with no rooting interest.

I always get excited for election night and I do have a rooting interest...just my team has no chance of winning.

I'm curious to see what happens with Scott Walker, not just tonight, but going forward. He's probably going to win by 2 to 3 points. He's a Tea Party darling, but he's a goofy, dorky guy and I'm interested to see if he claims a big victory and immediately shifts into 2016 mode.

ooh extending the Jefferson ES Greenway

Robinhood Road/Muddy Creek Greenway; Jefferson ES; Sidewalk connection from Bridgefield neighborhood to Muddy Creek Greenway; NW

WORD

used to run/bike this shit all DAY

So I live in small town Wallburg, NC and I doubt many others have this problem, but why is it legal for campaigners to take every parking space at our tiny firestation and heckle me with flyers and business cards on the way in? We had people having to park 1/4 of a mile down highway 109 because all of the parking spots were filled with people tailgating campaign flyers. So stupid.

The wait was only 20-25 minutes once you actually got to the firestation, so that was a positive.

I think stats like this favor Hagan:

"Registered Democrats cast 48.5 percent of in-person early ballots, compared to about 31 percent by Republicans and about 20 percent by unaffiliated and Libertarian voters.

The biggest uptick came from unaffiliated voters, who cast 192,000 more early in-person ballots than in 2010. Democrats cast 106,000 additional early ballots and Republicans 16,000 more than during the midterms four years ago, Bitzer said."

Thoughts?

Also there's a quote in that article that says a woman from Winston-Salem isn't voting for Hagan because she voted with Obama so much. Tillis' ad worked by preying on that ridiculous culled statistic. Never mind that she was the most moderate member of the Senate last year, which really means if she in fact voted for Obama "99%" of the time, then a hell of a lot of Republicans voted with him at least more than half the time since I sure as hell don't think the difference ten Senators away would be 99% versus under 50%.

So I live in small town Wallburg, NC and I doubt many others have this problem, but why is it legal for campaigners to take every parking space at our tiny firestation and heckle me with flyers and business cards on the way in? We had people having to park 1/4 of a mile down highway 109 because all of the parking spots were filled with people tailgating campaign flyers. So stupid.

The wait was only 20-25 minutes once you actually got to the firestation, so that was a positive.

Uh freedom of speech and assembly?

They do prevent people from being X feet away from the election place. I think it's 100 feet or something?

My new voting location is about 100 ft from my front door. Democracy is easy. I didn't vote this morning because John Oliver made me feel guilty about not knowing anything about the people running for the state house of reps, but apparently the guy is running unopposed. Looking forward to voting for not-Tom Corbett!

Uh freedom of speech and assembly?

They do prevent people from being X feet away from the election place. I think it's 100 feet or something?

haha yeah i get that, I guess it was taking all the parking that was the issue for me. Seems like a bad strategy anyway, piss people off by making them park on the highway then handing out a card with your candidates name on it

Theres more than just that in the Winston Lake project

No shit? There's 2 distinct projects in there. The Park, and the golf course. You know I'm a golf nut, but dumping 1.5M into needless renovations on a golf course that already operates at a big loss (the profit from Reynolds Park subsidizes Winston Lake Golf Course) is stupid.

Back