• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Midterm Election Discussion Thread

Robert Pittenger unopposed for US Congress. Pathetic. No one can win this gerrymandered district but a Republican and no one is willing to run against his considerable fortune.

Haley Barbour is an absolute fucking moron.

So if Tillis loses tonight, North Carolinians are still stuck with him for 2 more years, correct? Thanks from a politics noob.

ooh extending the Jefferson ES Greenway

Robinhood Road/Muddy Creek Greenway; Jefferson ES; Sidewalk connection from Bridgefield neighborhood to Muddy Creek Greenway; NW

WORD

used to run/bike this shit all DAY

I'm CISED about these BONDS. #HIGHFIVE #capitaloutlays #publicspace

So if Tillis loses tonight, North Carolinians are still stuck with him for 2 more years, correct? Thanks from a politics noob.

Senators get six years and this isn't a special election so the seat will next be up for grabs in 2020.

I'm interested to see what potential backlash might occur if Hagan hangs on due to minority and youth voters. It's impossibly naive to not think that the elements of the Voter ID law already implemented weren't designed to suppress the vote among certain demographics, and I wonder if there will be pushback that they didn't do enough.

I'm pretty sure you cannot run for more than one race in NC so Tillis is not on the ballot for his NC House seat. If he loses, he is out of NC politics for the time being.

Not what he is asking I think. He's asking about his role as Speaker in NC.

Whoops. Can't read.

I don't think Tillis is running for the 98th District seat again. I hadn't really thought about it though. I think he just doesn't have a spot if he loses and Berger would take over as Speaker?

ETA: John Bradford is running as the Republican from that district so Tillis is not.

If Dems do better than expected, Republicans will definitely claim voter fraud in some form or fashion.

I'm interested to see what potential backlash might occur if Hagan hangs on due to minority and youth voters. It's impossibly naive to not think that the elements of the Voter ID law already implemented weren't designed to suppress the vote among certain demographics, and I wonder if there will be pushback that they didn't do enough.

Spending four seconds being reminded I will need an I.D. two years from now was quite the deterrent, but I managed to survive.

Whoops. Can't read.

I don't think Tillis is running for the 98th District seat again. I hadn't really thought about it though. I think he just doesn't have a spot if he loses and Berger would take over as Speaker?

ETA: John Bradford is running as the Republican from that district so Tillis is not.

Berger is the President pro tempore of the Senate.

Get your shit together man.

If Dems do better than expected, Republicans will definitely claim voter fraud in some form or fashion.

Because Dems never claim Republicans steal elections. No, that never happens.

Whoops. Can't read.

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_163/Article_10.html

(h) No person may file a notice of candidacy for more than one office described in subsection (c) of this section for any one election. If a person has filed a notice of candidacy with a board of elections under this section for one office, then a notice of candidacy may not later be filed for any other office under this section when the election is on the same date unless the notice of candidacy for the first office is withdrawn under subsection (e) of this section; provided that this subsection shall not apply unless the deadline for filing notices of candidacy for both offices is the same. Notwithstanding this subsection, a person may file a notice of candidacy for a full term as United States Senator, and also file a notice of candidacy for the remainder of the unexpired term of that same seat in an election held under G.S. 163-12, and may file a notice of candidacy for a full term as a member of the United States House of Representatives, and also file a notice of candidacy for the remainder of the unexpired term in an election held under G.S. 163-13.

There will be a new Speaker when the General Assembly convenes. Berger is in the Senate so no Speaker for him, plus he's Senate President Pro Tem which is the most powerful position in the State, IMO

Back