• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016 Republican National Convention thread

I've been away for the last few days, and while I normally don't pay attention to debates or conventions, I watched Trump's speech with my brother-in-law who is a Pub. Is it just me, or were others of you wondering whether you were in a Pub or Dem convention? Seemed he was channeling his inner Bernie with his criticisms of Clinton, especially on trade and her crony capitalism, then the LGBTQ protection which actually drew an applause, and while he didn't criticize any Pubs by name, I thought there were some not so veiled whacks at W/Cheney foreign policy and Romney's version of capitalism. And I don't remember hearing him say the word "conservative". It was a bit rambling and not concise, maybe he was channeling his inner Bubba, but overall I didn't think it was bad except I didn't agree with much of the content. But if you consider yourself a conservative, did you enjoy the speech?

I heard Larry Kudlow on yesterday putting forth the supply side mantra. Deficits might go up for a few years, but they will unlock such massive growth yadda yadda yadda.......

Do you think deficit spending on infrastructure is a bad idea?

If and when an infrastructure bill emerges, my opinion of it will depend on the method of financing, what is being financed, and how big the opportunities for graft are.

The bill outlined by the Trump campaign is heavy on new highways, is funded through a combo of corporate repatriation and bonds much like Obungler's Build America Bonds, and as for graft.... It's a bad proposal. Chuck Schumer's ask is likely to be Amtrak's proposed Gateway tunnel under the Hudson, which is poor. The greater NYC area needs to build capacity for through-running trains between Long Island and NJ and Gateway will not provide that. I do not expect I will like whatever bill emerges, but the effect on the public debt is not going to be the reason why.

Back