• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Blake's contract is pretty bad. He relies on athleticism, which is obviously declining as he ages. Plus, he gets hurt all the time. The last 2 to 3 years of his deal might be pretty awful. I don't think it's a bad trade for the Clips. Presumably they'll now trade DAJ and Lou and make a run at several free agents this offseason.

I admittedly don't watch the NBA until the playoffs (still a few months before I post on here like some sort of sudden expert), but this trade seems like a big bowl of meh.

Clippers want space now that it is crystal clear they aren't going to contend with the current foundation of players, and as deac29 wrote above, Blake probably isn't going to age well.

Detroit is in danger of missing the playoffs in the East (they've lost 8 in row). They (probably) aren't ever going to lure a top free agent to the Motor City, so why not grab a captive "superstar" instead? Getting rid of Bradley, when he was going to walk anyway, gives them some time to play the younger guys and see what they have (without going into full tank mode).

Blake's contract isn't as bad as playing a scrub like Reggie Jackson $17M & $18M over the next two years. Every competitive team has a max or close to max contract.

Blake's contract isn't as bad as playing a scrub like Reggie Jackson $17M & $18M over the next two years. Every competitive team has a max or close to max contract.

Well, now Detroit has two for the next 4 years... Griffin and Drummond. That doesn't sound like the base of a team that will compete for championships over that span. The rest of the roster (aside from Ish, of course) is pretty terrible.

Basically, it seems like the Pistons have locked themselves into being in the conversation for the 8 seed in the East the next few years. Congrats!

That's a bad take. Reggie Jackson is overpaid, but he is only 27, a league average starting PG, has 2.5 years left on his contract, and is only the 67th highest paid NBA player.

Here are some of the players who make more than Reggie Jackson:

Bismack Biyombo, Luol Deng, Kent Bazemore, Joakim Noah, Greg Monroe, Ian Mahinmi, Allen Crabbe, Ryan Anderson, Danilo Gallinari, Nicolas Batum, Chandler Parsons, Chris Bosh, Evan Turner, Wes Matthews

Ian Mahinmi is getting PAID

what a dumb contract for the zards

lol the zards highest paid player is Otto Porter

Well, now Detroit has two for the next 4 years... Griffin and Drummond. That doesn't sound like the base of a team that will compete for championships over that span. The rest of the roster (aside from Ish, of course) is pretty terrible.

Basically, it seems like the Pistons have locked themselves into being in the conversation for the 8 seed in the East the next few years. Congrats!

They might be able to dump REggie's contract and get something in return, but the real problem is no FA want to play in Detroit. In the history of the NBA, the Pistons had two small runs and sucked for most of the rest of the past seventy years. From being the Ft. Wayne Pistons to today, it's been beyond tough to put together a team there.

My problem with the trade is I wouldn't want Blake Griffin on my team.

Damn. I'm worried that Boogie won't be Boogie anymore. Absolute worst time for that to happen too, a contract year where he was going to make the playoffs for the first time.

He's very likely not going to be. He was playing at an MVP level this year, just ridiculously good.

I'd say a cut in his numbers is a definite, probably more floating around the perimeter shooting 3's in the future. Only have the tiny sample size of Brand and Rudy Gay, to base off of.

I just imagine Doc sitting at home one day looking over family pictures humming Cats in the Cradle to himself. Mrs. Rivers comes over and says, “Honey, why don’t you just trade for him?”

Man, the Raja Bell interview on the Danny Kannell podcast is amazing. He's an exec with the Cavs, and just doesn't hold back what he says. Says there was an offer to trade Kevin Love the first year and he said to do it, because Kevin Love is too white to get along with his teammates.

Eastern Conference players thought Eastern Conference players were better. Not a surprise.

Jerry West might be able to trade Gallinari's insane contract to SacTown or another bottom feeding team. Then he get Lebron and bring back CP3.

Juice and Pilch, why don't you think NBA players would look more favorably on players they've faced at least twice as often? With Blake's injuries, Bucks and Sixers players may not have played against him more than a few times.

Back