• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

One that includes a young player with more potential than Poeltl and a better draft pick than 25-30.

From all reports that deal was available from the Sixers or Celtics. From there you move LMA for picks and tank.
There's value in winning 50 games, playing competitive games and making the playoffs. Tanking increases the odds of a championship, but not dramatically so. I wouldn't give up a chance at 50 wins and a playoff spot just to bump my 2024 championship odds from 2% to 4%. If my ceiling was 40 wins next year, then I would probably rebuild.

Covington fits the Spurs better than Derozan and has a great contract. The Sixers could have added Zhaire Smith and a couple of 1st Round picks.

Last week, Hoopshype had the Sixers and Spurs talking about a Pau trade.

This. Spurs could have had RoCo, Saric, Miami’s unprotected, and likely another first (probably comparable to the one they got from Toronto).

There's value in winning 50 games, playing competitive games and making the playoffs. Tanking increases the odds of a championship, but not dramatically so. I wouldn't give up a chance at 50 wins and a playoff spot just to bump my 2024 championship odds from 2% to 4%. If my ceiling was 40 wins next year, then I would probably rebuild.

The Spurs are more likely to miss the playoffs next year than they are to win 50 games.

Plus to RJ’s point, what’s the difference between adding DeRozan vs. RoCo and Saric? 2 wins at most, right? At least that trade sets you up for present and future.

Look, I hope for Pop’s sake that Murray quickly becomes young Rondo, that DeRozan learns to play defense and shoot 3s, and that the Spurs can land Butler next summer. That would be a fun team and a great potential send off for Pop in 19-20. But at best this looks like the kind of short-sighted trade you’d expect from the Brooklyn’s and the Charlotte’s of the world.

Look, I hope for Pop’s sake that Murray quickly becomes young Rondo, that DeRozan learns to play defense and shoot 3s, and that the Spurs can land Butler next summer. That would be a fun team and a great potential send off for Pop in 19-20. But at best this looks like the kind of short-sighted trade you’d expect from the Brooklyn’s and the Charlotte’s of the world.

You're overestimating the leverage the Spurs had here. No team was going to give a haul for a player that had made it clear he was going to sign with the Lakers next year. The only team that may have given more would be the Lakers. But they have a reduced incentive because they think they can just sign him in free agency next year without trading away talent.

You're overestimating the leverage the Spurs had here. No team was going to give a haul for a player that had made it clear he was going to sign with the Lakers next year. The only team that may have given more would be the Lakers. But they have a reduced incentive because they think they can just sign him in free agency next year without trading away talent.

I mean I’ve mentioned two offers that were better than the one they ended up with. The sixers offer was better even if their goal was to win 50 games instead of compete for championships the next 3 years.

If the Spurs has been committed to getting back the best haul of future assets as possible they could have played Boston, Philly, and even LA against each other. It might not have netted Brown, Fultz, or Ingram, but it would have given them some solid young guys that could round out a championship 5 one day and a bevy of picks to try and land a #1 and #2 option for the future.

Gotta love that RC seems convinced there were better offers out there based on a slew of rumored deals that didn't include the one that actually happened.

Gotta love that RC seems convinced there were better offers out there based on a slew of rumored deals that didn't include the one that actually happened.

Well those “rumors” came from people whose job it is to report accurately on the NBA, and if those deals weren’t on the table then either Boston and Philly are dumber than their recent actions suggest or they know something about Kawhi’s health that Toronto doesn’t.

The deals I mentioned make Boston title co-favorites and Philly Eastern Conference favorites if Kawhi returns to form. Hard to believe they weren’t on the table.

Still haven’t heard where the Spurs donks thinks this puts them in the Western Conference pecking order.

Everybody has said they think the Spurs will make the playoffs. Not sure how much more specific you want people to be after a season in which the #3 seed through #8 seed and last team out were determined on the last two days of the season.

I mean I’ve mentioned two offers that were better than the one they ended up with. The sixers offer was better even if their goal was to win 50 games instead of compete for championships the next 3 years.

If the Spurs has been committed to getting back the best haul of future assets as possible they could have played Boston, Philly, and even LA against each other. It might not have netted Brown, Fultz, or Ingram, but it would have given them some solid young guys that could round out a championship 5 one day and a bevy of picks to try and land a #1 and #2 option for the future.

Your strategy makes zero sense for the Spurs. They have what, 5 years max left with Pop? The dropoff from his coaching abilities to the next guy are worth more than the slim chance of any of these future mythical champions that you have them getting. If they have the chance to land a current all-star in his prime to pair with their existing all-star, in exchange for a headcase who nobody else was giving much for, they have to do that in a heartbeat. I'm taking my chances with Pop + DeRozan + LMA + supporting cast over Becky Hammon + Terry Rozier + some dude currently in high school + another dude currently in high school all day every day. You don't sacrifice known for completely unknown at this point in time if you are the Spurs, that would be ludicrous.

Everybody has said they think the Spurs will make the playoffs. Not sure how much more specific you want people to be after a season in which the #3 seed through #8 seed and last team out were determined on the last two days of the season.

If you are suggesting we will see something similar next season then I’ll put you down for third, ahead of all but the Warriors and the Rockets, since you said the Spurs were a given for 50+ wins after a season in which the #3 seed won 49 games.

Your strategy makes zero sense for the Spurs. They have what, 5 years max left with Pop? The dropoff from his coaching abilities to the next guy are worth more than the slim chance of any of these future mythical champions that you have them getting. If they have the chance to land a current all-star in his prime to pair with their existing all-star, in exchange for a headcase who nobody else was giving much for, they have to do that in a heartbeat. I'm taking my chances with Pop + DeRozan + LMA + supporting cast over Becky Hammon + Terry Rozier + some dude currently in high school + another dude currently in high school all day every day. You don't sacrifice known for completely unknown at this point in time if you are the Spurs, that would be ludicrous.

Is be shocked if it’s more than 2. Look I get the general strategy from the standpoint of throwing a bone to Pop given all he’s given the franchise. Even then, the rumored Philly deal made more sense.

But let’s call the strategy what it is: a chance to let Pop go out with a playoff team and maybe catch a team sleeping and get a WCF trip out of this group + a 2019 free agent. It hasn’t been particularly well executed IMO and it certainly sacrifices the future.

They got a current All-Star, former lottery pick, and a first round pick. That’s pretty good.

If you are suggesting we will see something similar next season then I’ll put you down for third, ahead of all but the Warriors and the Rockets, since you said the Spurs were a given for 50+ wins after a season in which the #3 seed won 49 games.

you guys should bet your ogboards posting rights on this

Losing Kawhi could just be the start of unhinging ph and unleashing a streak of #defeated. 55 games?

Still haven’t heard where the Spurs donks thinks this puts them in the Western Conference pecking order.

Same place they were last year. Possible 3 seed, but could far all the way to 9.

The 2nd tier West is going to depend on injuries. I also expect the Lakers to suck early and be a bit of shit show. Mostly because of Ball. They may end up having to give him away. I could imagine a situation where the Lakers are 5 games out of the 8th seed 40 games into the season. I think they'll figure it out. I think Walton is going to be a good coach, but they will struggle early.

I also don't expect Portland to have as good of a season as they did last year and might not make the playoffs. I also think Melo is going to make Houston unwatchable.

I would go:

Warriors 60
Houston 58
Nola (like the Randle pickup, but Davis has to play 75 games) 50
Utah 49
Thunder 48
Denver 48
Spurs 47
Lakers 45
------
Minnesota 42
Portland 40
Mavs 35
Memphis 35
Clippers 35
PHX 30
Sac 28

I don't think you will see three horrific teams like we did last year (in the West)

Is be shocked if it’s more than 2. Look I get the general strategy from the standpoint of throwing a bone to Pop given all he’s given the franchise. Even then, the rumored Philly deal made more sense.

But let’s call the strategy what it is: a chance to let Pop go out with a playoff team and maybe catch a team sleeping and get a WCF trip out of this group + a 2019 free agent. It hasn’t been particularly well executed IMO and it certainly sacrifices the future.

It doesn't sacrifice their future at all. DeRozan's contract is fine for what they will get out of him for the next three years, and it is certainly less than they would have had to pay Kawhi and who knows if he would even shown up. Poeltl is a good young cheap player and they got a pick or two. Assuming the relationship with Kawhi was not going to be repaired, their future is better now than it was last week.

Losing Kawhi could just be the start of unhinging ph and unleashing a streak of #defeated. 55 games?

Wrangor said 55.

I said better than 47 and playoffs.

Back