• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

You brought up 11 years to credit a guy for 2. I respect what Lue has done, but you diminish it by discussing it as the back end of an 11 year run.

Doc's the 2nd best coach in the National Basketball Association

It's going to be nuts one day when Doc breaks Pop's regular season wins record as part of a long but unspectacular career and people are going to be searching for how to put it into context.

You brought up 11 years to credit a guy for 2. I respect what Lue has done, but you diminish it by discussing it as the back end of an 11 year run.

I'm a Clippers fan, Ph. It's cool that my squad has won 11 years in a row. Surely you can understand that, seeing as your squad holds the current record.

Keeping the streak alive is especially amazing this year, when Kawhi didn't play a single game and Paul George played in only 31 (Morris played in only 59, Batum in 51, etc. etc.). Credit for that goes to Ty Lue, since he's the current coach.

It's really not so hard to understand.

Sorry. I thought as a Clippers fan, you were talking about 11 years of winning, not just the last 2.

It's going to be nuts one day when Doc breaks Pop's regular season wins record as part of a long but unspectacular career and people are going to be searching for how to put it into context.

Doc's legacy will be interesting. Especially if he breaks or gets close to the record.

To me it actually mirrors the Lebron vs Jordan debate. Longevity matters. So does surrounding cast. But ultimately playoff record and championships hold weight also

Sorry. I thought as a Clippers fan, you were talking about 11 years of winning, not just the last 2.

Do you wake up in the morning and decide to go full pedant?

The point is very clear. I'm not sure what you're having trouble understanding.

Doc's legacy will be interesting. Especially if he breaks or gets close to the record.

To me it actually mirrors the Lebron vs Jordan debate. Longevity matters. So does surrounding cast. But ultimately playoff record and championships hold weight also

Yeah, Doc gets a lot of credit for winning a championship with one of the best teams in the modern-era. But he should also get credit for treading water with the Magic and squandering title contention with the Clippers.

IMO, Doc had one really great year as a Clippers coach and that, somewhat ironically, was the only year he missed the playoffs. The other years, he's probably the reason why his teams couldn't get over the hump.

Do you wake up in the morning and decide to go full pedant?

The point is very clear. I'm not sure what you're having trouble understanding.

Yeah, Doc gets a lot of credit for winning a championship with one of the best teams in the modern-era. But he should also get credit for treading water with the Magic and squandering title contention with the Clippers.

IMO, Doc had one really great year as a Clippers coach and that, somewhat ironically, was the only year he missed the playoffs. The other years, he's probably the reason why his teams couldn't get over the hump.

lol

NBA unveils new trophies for division winners named after 6 NBA legends
NBA creates 6 new trophies for division winners named after African-American pioneers Nat Clifton, Wayne Embry, Earl Lloyd, Willis Reed, Sam Jones and Chuck Cooper.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-division-trophies

The trophy designs are really well done.

Last edited:
Again - Strick - Which of these were Doc's fault?

2014 - Chris Paul Hamstring injury #1 - Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul was held out of practice for the second straight day Wednesday with a right hamstring injury that has bothered him since late in the first half of Saturday's playoff series-opening loss to the Golden State Warriors.

https://www.espn.com/los-angeles/nb...ris-paul-misses-los-angeles-clippers-practice

2015 - Paul hurts Hamstring the year they knock off defending Champ Spurs

2016 - Chris Paul Breaks Hand

2017 Blake Griffin suffers a season-ending injury in the playoffs for the 2nd straight year. Griffin’s season last year also ended with an injury in the postseason.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/4...njury-playoffs-season-ending-clippers-big-toe

kinda hard to call yourself a clippers fan if you don't remember anything about the clippers seasons

Then miraculously after his star players stop getting injured he has his best coaching season, according to Strick

kinda hard to call yourself a clippers fan if you don't remember anything about the clippers seasons

I mean, Clips had bad injury luck. It happens! I'm not blaming Doc for CP and Blake getting hurt.

I'm blaming Doc for blowing a 3-1 lead in the 2015 semis against the Rockets and 2020 semis against the Nugs. I'm blaming him for throwing his players under the bus for those losses, which did a lot to compromise any sense of chemistry. I'm blaming him for being an awful GM, who set consecutive draft picks on fire and couldn't figure out how to sign a competent wing to play with a generational PG talent.

I don't understand people who defend head coaches who are consistently underwhelming. I say this as somebody who desperately wanted to believe that there was some sort of "there" there with a doofus like Jeff [name redacted]. Sometimes you just gotta take a step back and realize that if the guy is doing the same shit at 3 different stops and somehow only one a single championship with the Allen/Garnett/Pierce/Rondo teams, then maybe it's him?

Then miraculously after his star players stop getting injured he has his best coaching season, according to Strick

speaking of not remembering/being a bad fan or whatever, but i'm sure if you remember that we blew up Lob City that season and got back Gallo, Lou, Pat Bev, and some scrubs, and almost made the playoffs regardless

i watched a lot of broadcasts that year and the booth was pretty unanimous in thinking that Doc was having one of his best ever coaching seasons that year

Last edited:
I mean, Clips had bad injury luck. It happens! I'm not blaming Doc for CP and Blake getting hurt.

I'm blaming Doc for blowing a 3-1 lead in the 2015 semis against the Rockets and 2020 semis against the Nugs. I'm blaming him for throwing his players under the bus for those losses, which did a lot to compromise any sense of chemistry. I'm blaming him for being an awful GM, who set consecutive draft picks on fire and couldn't figure out how to sign a competent wing to play with a generational PG talent.

I don't understand people who defend head coaches who are consistently underwhelming. I say this as somebody who desperately wanted to believe that there was some sort of "there" there with a doofus like Jeff [Redacted]. Sometimes you just gotta take a step back and realize that if the guy is doing the same shit at 3 different stops and somehow only one a single championship with the Allen/Garnett/Pierce/Rondo teams, then maybe it's him?

So to be clear, your issue with the 2015 series loss to the Rockets, a series in which Chris Paul missed the first two games, and then came back at 50% was that at one point he was up 3-1?

So to be clear, your issue with the 2015 series loss to the Rockets, a series in which Chris Paul missed the first two games, and then came back at 50% was that at one point he was up 3-1?

CP dropped like 30/11 in Game 6 what are you even talking about

This is a dumb argument.

I know like three people who actually like Doc Rivers and they're all on this board. Y'all should stan him when he jumps to the Lakers after blowing another 3-1 lead in a couple weeks !

I think its more fans of logic that Wake grads take pride in

Only one coach in NBA history has blown three 3-1 playoff series leads. That's definitely everybody else's fault but Doc's. Definitely.

(Oh, and the next season after we fired the schmuck, Ty Lue took the same roster to the Conference Finals for the first time in franchise history and still managed to fight Phoenix into a 3-2 despite losing Kawhi to an ACL tear.)

Last edited:
The Athletic reporting that the Lakers are targeting Nick Nurse for their coaching vacancy.

lol

What competent coach is gonna take this job? Idk maybe they can throw a lot of money at the guy, but why leave a franchise with a good front office and bright future for the Lakers mess

Back