• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

I took it to be Jill recognizing that this tournament may be the turning point in women’s basketball. It was more watched and more discussed than any I can remember, and may finally have broken through to a more general population. I think she simply wanted to commemorate that achievement more than anything. It’ll be interesting to see if they can keep up the momentum leading into next season, but the ball is certainly rolling more than it ever has.
Seems like Tennessee and UConn had that ball rolling before. I still don't get why you'd invite Iowa. It isn't like they captured the nation's attention. It was one player who created all their buzz.

I took it to be Jill recognizing that this tournament may be the turning point in women’s basketball. It was more watched and more discussed than any I can remember, and may finally have broken through to a more general population. I think she simply wanted to commemorate that achievement more than anything. It’ll be interesting to see if they can keep up the momentum leading into next season, but the ball is certainly rolling more than it ever has.
I think she just had no idea what she was talking about...especially since her press people walked it back afterwards. It was a politician, or politician adjace, saying something they thought would be taken well.

I think she just had no idea what she was talking about...especially since her press people walked it back afterwards. It was a politician, or politician adjace, saying something they thought would be taken well.
Sounded like failure to engage brain before operating tweet fingers.

Right. Anybody who has ever watched a sporting event with someone who doesn't really follow sports has heard comments like that. "I wish both teams could have won" and such. Ironically it was a 20th century approach to women's sports in response to a fiercely competitive 21st century women's sporting event.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but looks like former Skip (and Dino) assistant Jeff Battle will be following Ed Cooley to Georgetown. I have only ever heard great things about Coach Battle so I'm wishing him success at GTown (other than in games and recruiting battles vs Wake... which are more likely now that he's in DC).

Monday’s national championship was the lowest viewed in recorded history. So, yes, the time was an issue.

Monday’s national championship was the lowest viewed in recorded history. So, yes, the time was an issue.
Except there’s been a Monday 9:20 eastern tip off for the final since at least 2015 (I was googling it during the game while I was bitching about it being so late). I still think it is bullshit and tip should be 8:40 if they insist on Monday, but I don’t think you can blame this year’s viewership on the tip time.

Except there’s been a Monday 9:20 eastern tip off for the final since at least 2015 (I was googling it during the game while I was bitching about it being so late). I still think it is bullshit and tip should be 8:40 if they insist on Monday, but I don’t think you can blame this year’s viewership on the tip time.
No no. That ruins my narrative!
The funny thing is that there was actually a West Coast team in it this time and they still didn’t watch.

Pretty sure it was the teams involved that was the biggest issue. SDSU has a limited fanbase, and UConn hasn't been a national brand since Ray Allen, though they deserve to be with the success they have had. No Duke or Carolina, no Kentucky or Kansas, no UCLA or any other major basketball brand.

any stats on college basketball viewership during the regular season and the rest of this year’s tournament?

Pretty sure it was the teams involved that was the biggest issue. SDSU has a limited fanbase, and UConn hasn't been a national brand since Ray Allen, though they deserve to be with the success they have had. No Duke or Carolina, no Kentucky or Kansas, no UCLA or any other major basketball brand.
UConn hasn't been a national brand since Ray Allen? Lmao. Remember Kemba Walker? Cardiac Kemba? The Big East from like 2007-2013 was the biggest show in college hoops and UConn was a big part of that. Even Pitt was a national brand back then with Jamie Dixon at the helm. When football killed that conference the ball was well in motion to getting to the world we're in now where basketball ratings are crap and football is the lone obsession.

UConn hasn't been a national brand since Ray Allen? Lmao. Remember Kemba Walker? Cardiac Kemba? The Big East from like 2007-2013 was the biggest show in college hoops and UConn was a big part of that. Even Pitt was a national brand back then with Jamie Dixon at the helm. When football killed that conference the ball was well in motion to getting to the world we're in now where basketball ratings are crap and football is the lone obsession.
Sorry, dude. UConn isn’t a national basketball brand. It just isn’t. Nobody watched that crap game.

Sorry, dude. UConn isn’t a national basketball brand. It just isn’t. Nobody watched that crap game.
Lmao. That is an absurdly stupid take. Who in the ACC do you think is a national basketball brand? UConn are bigger than any ACC program not named Duke or UNC.

ESPN has been so successful in their quest to destroy college basketball that you can definitely argue that there are no national basketball brands anymore, but if there are any UConn is certainly one of them.

5 national championships in the last 25 years. 2 more than any other school. Massive fanbase and alumni base in the biggest and most important city in the country. National championships under 3 different coaches in the modern era (don't think anyone else can say they've even made final fours under 3 different coaches in the modern era).

Last edited:
Lmao. That is an absurdly stupid take. Who in the ACC do you think is a national basketball brand? UConn are bigger than any ACC program not named Duke or UNC.

ESPN has been so successful in their quest to destroy college basketball that you can definitely argue that there are no national basketball brands anymore, but if there are any UConn is certainly one of them.

5 national championships in the last 25 years. 2 more than any other school. Massive fanbase and alumni base in the biggest and most important city in the country. National championships under 3 different coaches in the modern era (don't think anyone else can say they've even made final fours under 3 different coaches in the modern era).
Don’t know what you consider the modern era but Carolina has with 4 of their last 5 coaches. Kentucky 3 of their last 4. UCLA has had 3 since the mid-90s. And probably more I’m forgetting.

Don’t know what you consider the modern era but Carolina has with 4 of their last 5 coaches. Kentucky 3 of their last 4. UCLA has had 3 since the mid-90s. And probably more I’m forgetting.
Kansas 3 of last 3

Kansas 3 of last 3
Kansas has only had two coaches since 1988. By modern era I think mid 90s on makes sense, so yea I think it's just UConn to have final fours under three different coaches, and it's definitely only UConn with national titles under three different coaches.

Kansas has only had two coaches since 1988. By modern era I think mid 90s on makes sense, so yea I think it's just UConn to have final fours under three different coaches, and it's definitely only UConn with national titles under three different coaches.
UNC has final fours with 4 coaches since 1997

UNC has final fours with 4 coaches since 1997
Interesting. The more I think about it the more I think national basketball brands don't exist anymore (could you name 3 players from Kansas or Kentucky right now? I can't), but if they did, UConn and UNC would obviously be among them.

Back