• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

Georgetown's problems don't start or end with Ewing, he's just the embodiment of them. The Thompsons control that school and have for 40 years. For all John Thompson did he has a pretty sketchy reputation and the Thompson clan are unwilling to release their control of the basketball program no matter how far they drive it into the ground. If Ronny Thompson and his cronies are not removed from the program and the program isn't turned over to the Athletic Director then no coach in their right mind would ever take the job. If they clean house and allow an otherwise successful AD to take over the basketball program like he should have all along, all of the sudden it's the hottest job on the market barring a Calapari firing or major retirement.

Looking forward to our game next month @ Miami.

Two teams with very good offense and pretty meh defense.

Miami is even more extreme than we are. KP - #11 Offense / #145 Defense (we are #29/#139).

Miami is even more extreme than we are. KP - #11 Offense / #145 Defense (we are #29/#139).
Presidents' Day weekend game. If you were ever looking to travel outside of the traditional ACC footprint for an away game, that's the one to go to and make a weekend out of it. Coral Gables is beautiful.

I am planning to be there. Scheduled a mediation in Miami Friday. Kids have a 4 day weekend.

Maybe we'll look back at this as a weird moment in college basketball due to COVID and the extra year it gave players, but it has become pretty damn obvious over the last couple of years that you are better off bringing in players from the portal than recruiting high schoolers that aren't ready to go from day one.

I'm not just talking about Wake Forest.

Pittsburgh brought in:
Blake Hinson - 2 meh years at Ole Miss - 24 years old
Jamarius Burton - 2nd year at Pitt; 5th year overall - was meh at Texas Tech & Wichita St - 22 years old
Nelly Cummings - 5th year; came from Colgate - 24 years old
Nike Sibande - 2nd year at Pitt; 5th year - was meh at Miami, OH - 23 years old
Greg Elliott - 5th year - was meh at Marquette - 24 years old

NC State has:
DJ Burns - 3 meh years at Winthrop
Jarkel Joiner - 5th year - meh at Ole Miss & Cal St. Bakersfield
Casey Morsell - 2nd year - not good at UVA for 2 years
Jack Clark - 3 not good years at LaSalle

Miami has:
Norchad Omier - Was very good at Arkansas St
Nigel Pack - Was very good at Kansas St
Jordan Miller - 2nd year; 5th year overall - meh at George Mason

Those teams have all been way better than expectations, largely because of the play of transfers that got very little hype heading into the season. Miami's transfers were obviously more hyped. Some credit goes to the coaches, but some of this is men vs. boys.

Brevin Galloway (Clemson) is 25 years old.
Ty Appleby is 24 years old.

Eye test only but we have seemed to play much better defense in this recent stretch.

Maybe we'll look back at this as a weird moment in college basketball due to COVID and the extra year it gave players, but it has become pretty damn obvious over the last couple of years that you are better off bringing in players from the portal than recruiting high schoolers that aren't ready to go from day one.

I'm not just talking about Wake Forest.

Pittsburgh brought in:
Blake Hinson - 2 meh years at Ole Miss - 24 years old
Jamarius Burton - 2nd year at Pitt; 5th year overall - was meh at Texas Tech & Wichita St - 22 years old
Nelly Cummings - 5th year; came from Colgate - 24 years old
Nike Sibande - 2nd year at Pitt; 5th year - was meh at Miami, OH - 23 years old
Greg Elliott - 5th year - was meh at Marquette - 24 years old

NC State has:
DJ Burns - 3 meh years at Winthrop
Jarkel Joiner - 5th year - meh at Ole Miss & Cal St. Bakersfield
Casey Morsell - 2nd year - not good at UVA for 2 years
Jack Clark - 3 not good years at LaSalle

Miami has:
Norchad Omier - Was very good at Arkansas St
Nigel Pack - Was very good at Kansas St
Jordan Miller - 2nd year; 5th year overall - meh at George Mason

Those teams have all been way better than expectations, largely because of the play of transfers that got very little hype heading into the season. Miami's transfers were obviously more hyped. Some credit goes to the coaches, but some of this is men vs. boys.

Brevin Galloway (Clemson) is 25 years old.
Ty Appleby is 24 years old.

100%

This age advantage was also pretty stark pre-Covid when Kansas State had some old dudes who beat us up in Dayton

Eye test only but we have seemed to play much better defense in this recent stretch.
I agree, but doesn't seem to be the case. We're bottom half of the ACC in defensive efficiency and our defensive numbers against UNC, Louisville, and FSU were pretty bad: the 16th, 17th and 11th most efficient defensive performances of the year against those teams (so like...Louisville's third best offensive performance of the year came against us which is sad)

Experience has long been a positive in college sports. The fact that our team is relatively young and doing well says something.

Experience has long been a positive in college sports. The fact that our team is relatively young and doing well says something.
Weighted for minutes played, Wake is 61st in the country in experience (an average of 2.51 or a junior halfway through the season). We certainly have some youth, but we also play a fifth year point guard for almost 40 minutes a game, another fifth year senior for 60% of our minutes, plus two junior starters.

I agree, but doesn't seem to be the case. We're bottom half of the ACC in defensive efficiency and our defensive numbers against UNC, Louisville, and FSU were pretty bad: the 16th, 17th and 11th most efficient defensive performances of the year against those teams (so like...Louisville's third best offensive performance of the year came against us which is sad)
That's really strange. I love our intensity and thought we've been pretty balanced lately. Carr had a great defensive game last night. Bradford held his own despite the mauling tigers. Monsanto still gets a little lost at times, but overall I think he's played much more controlled on both ends in recent weeks.

The Covid extra year guys go away soon.
Non playing redshirt is rarer in basketball than in football. So fewer 5th and 6th year guys in the future. But, there will be valuable and useful players who transfer with two or three years if eligibility left.

Weighted for minutes played, Wake is 61st in the country in experience (an average of 2.51 or a junior halfway through the season). We certainly have some youth, but we also play a fifth year point guard for almost 40 minutes a game, another fifth year senior for 60% of our minutes, plus two junior starters.
Yeah, the genesis of my post was noticing how PITT was #18 in the country in D-1 experience. That seemed odd to me because I only knew like 2-3 of their players.

Appleby and Williamson certainly boost Wake in that department.

I'd imagine having roughly 18% of your team's total minutes taken up by a 5th year senior will skew that quickly haha

He had a good game - glad he's back. VT had a nice comeback for a while, but at the beginning of the game and in the 2nd half, UVA was getting in the lane at will. VT has some nice players offensively, but this team appears weaker defensively than past editions. Mutts having an off night shooting didn't help. But Ty Jerome brought Steph to the game, and Mike Vick was there. A bunch of folks took selfies with Steph.

I got a good laugh at Steph attending a VT game and UVa as the guest of a UVa player who won a national championship. Just twisting the knife on VT in multiple ways.

Back