• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

UVA plays L'ville this week. Yikes.

Could match the best coach in college basketball against the worst.

Even when L'ville was good, UVA owned them. Believe that UVA is 15-2 against the Cards since they joined the ACC and and UVA has won 14 of the last 15.

Even when L'ville was good, UVA owned them. Believe that UVA is 15-2 against the Cards since they joined the ACC and and UVA has won 14 of the last 15.

They still have them twice in the remaining schedule. Going to kill UVAs SOS

Really only 2-3 "important" games in the ACC this week...

Miami @ UNC (tonight)
NCSU @ Syracuse (Tuesday)
FSU @ Clemson (Wednesday)

A NCSU win would make Syracuse's road to a bid even tougher. Just noticed that Mintz is only 9-47 (19.1%) from 3 this season. He doesn't seem like 1 & done guy anymore. NBA requires that you can shoot at least a little bit.

FSU/Clemson not really a big game... FSU is mostly just playing out the string, but a Clemson loss would be brutal for them as they try to secure an at-large bid.
He is getting to the line a lot and his assist rate is good, though his shooting is poor right now. He could be a good player for them next season.

If our choices were Appleby or Mintz, we definitely got the better player, for this season.

Cuse is way off the bubble right now. 0-5 in Quad 1 games, and the only opportunity (based on current NET rankings) for one is at Pitt in a few weeks. They're also 1-3 in Quad 2 games.

No good wins, 2 Quad 3 losses.

Think they may need to win out - plus win a game or two in the ACCT - to have a chance.

would have been nice if BC could have beaten Maine and New Hampshire and Tarleton State
Would have been nice if they were remotely healthy for the first month. It was a comedy of errors and misfortune for them and FSU, who are actually both not all that bad, and now that's hurting the ACC because they had terrible non-conference performances and are good enough now with their full lineups to beat ACC teams.

so with how it shakes out we are somewhat of a Q1 team but seems like we're fairly far from being on the bubble?
We're not far from being on the bubble, we're generally seen as probably one big win away from being smack on the bubble (i.e. winning at Miami on Saturday). There's not really such thing as a Q1 team, it's just Q1 games since it factors in location, and your own NET isn't really something the committee looks a lot at, it's more about analyzing who you have beaten or lost to. Top 30 at home is Q1, top 50 on a neutral court is Q1, and top 75 on the road is Q1.

Would have been nice if they were remotely healthy for the first month. It was a comedy of errors and misfortune for them and FSU, who are actually both not all that bad, and now that's hurting the ACC because they had terrible non-conference performances and are good enough now with their full lineups to beat ACC teams.
You keep saying this about BC, and it's not true at all. Since January 1st, they are slightly better than their overall TORVIK ranking of 190 at 163. That's still a very bad ACC team that is dragging us down.

They can pop up and beat a team or two (see Clemson and VPI), but they are actually "all that bad". They're pretty far away from being even an average ACC team.

If you want to know who the Q1 teams are, that’s the top 50 because that is the breakpoint for s neutral site game.

On the surface the Quad system makes a modicum of sense.

Q1 on a neutral floor is the top 50 teams. In a perfect world if you want an at-large bid you should be roughly among the top 50 teams. Taking home court into consideration, the number 30 team playing on the road at number 50 is roughly a coin flip. Same for the #75 team hosting the #50 team. Having rigidity in the system is where it breaks down.

You keep saying this about BC, and it's not true at all. Since January 1st, they are slightly better than their overall TORVIK ranking of 190 at 163. That's still a very bad ACC team that is dragging us down.

They can pop up and beat a team or two (see Clemson and VPI), but they are actually "all that bad". They're pretty far away from being even an average ACC team.
I don't think we would have expected a team with their start to already have 6 ACC wins. I think that if you trotted out the lineups they had to use in the first month of the season now, they would not have 6 ACC wins.

If you want to know who the Q1 teams are, that’s the top 50 because that is the breakpoint for s neutral site game.

On the surface the Quad system makes a modicum of sense.

Q1 on a neutral floor is the top 50 teams. In a perfect world if you want an at-large bid you should be roughly among the top 50 teams. Taking home court into consideration, the number 30 team playing on the road at number 50 is roughly a coin flip. Same for the #75 team hosting the #50 team. Having rigidity in the system is where it breaks down.
The quad system is saying that #30 playing at #75 would be a coinflip, not #30 at #50, but I agree with your general point.

I don't think we would have expected a team with their start to already have 6 ACC wins. I think that if you trotted out the lineups they had to use in the first month of the season now, they would not have 6 ACC wins.
I'm not arguing your point of "they have improved". I am arguing your point of "they are actually not all that bad". They are all that bad, even with their improvement once they got their guys back.

Meh, UVA isn't good enough offensively to win by 40+. And when Tony gets a 20 point lead against a weaker opponent, he starts working in more than his usual 7-8 man rotation. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Louvul doesn't break 20 in the 1st half.

I haven't followed Louvul's meltdown, but WTF happened to them? It looked like they were recovering under Mack after the Pitino sex scandal, and they were dancing when UVA won it's natty. How do you go from the NCAAs to worst power 5 team in the country in 3 years? Wes Unseld is rolling over in his grave.

Instead of Quads, why don't we just have averages? If you beat the No. 20 and No. 40. teams and lose to No. 10 and No. 30, your average win is 30 and average loss is 20 and then weight them by the number of each.

Back