• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL 2023 Wake Forest Demon Deacons Football Thread

That seems like an argument from a different decade
Yeah. I'd prefer not to play an FCS opponent just because I'd like to be more hype for Week 1. But there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it. Having it on Week 1 is probably the best way to do it.

wasn't it a bigger deal when you'd be playing 11 games since that's one less game to count for bowl eligibility?

wasn't it a bigger deal when you'd be playing 11 games since that's one less game to count for bowl eligibility?
Yeah. Now it's those 11 games + an FCS game. So not much difference and much better than playing 10 1-A games + 1-AA game that could include App.

From a competitive standpoint, your FCS easy win being the first game makes complete sense.

You (usually) get to rotate in plenty of young guys and get to see which ones of them are able to translate practice success to games. If your FCS game isn't until mid- or late-season, you may not get a chance to allow young guys to get some snaps in a game until they are suddenly needed due to an injury. You also get to start with (what should be) a win, which in most years is meaningful for a school like Wake. Wake's road to national relevance is long in most years, and while beating an FCS school does nothing to move the needle, it's still better to start 1-0 than 0-1.

I totally get why fans would dislike starting the season with such a boring game, and I feel the same way honestly, but I totally get it from Wake/Clawson's perspective.

Elon, Vandy, @ODU, Tech, BYE is about as easy of a start as Wake could get. Should be 4-0 and ranked before shit gets real vs. Clemson.

If we struggle against Vanderbilt, get ready for a long season.

Elon, Vandy, @ODU, Tech, BYE is about as easy of a start as Wake could get. Should be 4-0 and ranked before shit gets real vs. Clemson.
There is a chance WF will not be favored in another game after the first four.

Ask FSU about FCS teams being easy wins....
Easy wins does not equal guaranteed wins.

FCS games are absolutely easy wins, the win percentage of FBS teams vs FCS teams is absurdly high. But yeah, you have to actually show up and win the game.

Using the current Sagarin ratings, with the 2.2 for home edge, here would be the current lines for every WF 2023 game ("+" means WF is an underdog; "-" means WF is a fave):

Elon: -30
Vandy: -16 (unless Vandy throws up on itself against Hawaii; don't think the line will be that high)
@ODU: -15
GT: -12
@ Clemson: +15.5
@VT: -3
Pitt: +1.5
FSU: +4 (if WF hosted FSU right now, based upon FSU's public perception, WF would be getting more than a TD)
@ Duke: -1
NC State: pick
@ Notre Dame: +13
@ Cuse: -1.5

Easy wins does not equal guaranteed wins.

FCS games are absolutely easy wins, the win percentage of FBS teams vs FCS teams is absurdly high. But yeah, you have to actually show up and win the game.

We’re also going to ODU who has beaten Va Tech 2 of the last 4 years.

How Wake and FSU do against Clemson will factor into that Wake-FSU line. FSU will probably be favored unless Wake beats Clemson or FSU falls off.

FSU will be favored no matter what.
Agree that it would take WF to play out of its ass for the first seven games and FSU to implode for WF to be favored on October 28. If I could get a FSU -4 line right now for that game, would have to jump on FSU. More likely the line will be FSU -10 than FSU -4.

Back