• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL 2023 Wake Forest Demon Deacons Football Thread

I normally don’t listen to these things but something they discussed that was interesting. Wake was 1-3 in games decided by one score or less last year. These guys think that the loss of Hartman hurts Wake in this category. I think it might help Wake. I don’t think Hartman was much of a clutch guy.

I normally don’t listen to these things but something they discussed that was interesting. Wake was 1-3 in games decided by one score or less last year. These guys think that the loss of Hartman hurts Wake in this category. I think it might help Wake. I don’t think Hartman was much of a clutch guy.

Well it can’t hurt too much since we only won one close game last year.

We could have fewer close games…

We always rip in Hartman for losing big games like there was no alternative. An alternative is that we’re not even in the big games.

We could have fewer close games…

We always rip in Hartman for losing big games like there was no alternative. An alternative is that we’re not even in the big games.
Not Hartman keeping us in big games but our mesh O. Has been that way almost from the start.

I mean ... the 3 best OLs come from the DMV -- Jurgens, Gordon and Petitbon.

Doubt Petitbon was their target given how little he's played and missed all of last season (but possible).

Gordon and Jurgens both from the DC area

I believe we have all come to realize that it is not just quarterback issues affecting this team. My question is are our problems due to talent or scheme?

If it’s a talent issue, which I suspect it is, is it due to an inability recruit or an inability to develop talent? Our recruiting classes tend to be in the middle when it comes to yearly rankings, but is the staff unable to deduce who will become a P5 level player or are they unable to develop the recruits we do get?

While I am not attempting to minimize the impact of the transfer portal or NIL, outside of a couple big names, Wake has not see the wholesale departure that other schools have, and has actually used the portal to our advantage in the past.

I would also put forward the idea that part of the issue can be traced back to the 2019 recruiting class, which has not been the impact one would hope.

Yeah. There aren’t many 2019 players still on the roster and contributing.

Emergency Pod from Boots On The Ground after Wake Forest's brutal loss yesterday in Blacksburg.

Pod highlighted by two takes:
  • While benching Mitch Griffis may have been the wrong move - in our opinion opening a can of worms for not much change - Michael Kern needs to be the starting QB going forward
  • It's hard to feel very confident in Wake Forest's ability to win in any individual game going forward

Listen here for the full break down along with other thoughts:

I’m also finding it hard to see another win on the schedule. I guess Pitt, State, and Cuse are all winnable if the stars align, but GT and VT were also both winnable and ended up as double digit losses.

That offense we ran for about 2 plays at Clemson looked interesting. QB plus 3 in the backfield, but 2 of those guys looked like TE.

I liked it as it was also MAX protection I suppose, even though we clearly are only running in that set.

We set up in it a couple of times Saturday with Tate and (I think) Hite back there. I like that look too

Back