• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL 2023 Wake Forest Demon Deacons Football Thread

Select SEC opponents the week before Thanksgiving:

Bama - Chattanooga
Arkansas - Florida International
Auburn - NM State
LSU - Georgia State
Ole Miss - UL-Monroe
Texas A&M - Abilene Christian
Of course college football is a physical & emotional grind, but admittedly more so in the SEC than any other conference. As a fan I wouldn't like their traditional late-season FCS games weekend, but it does give their starters a week of light work and a chance to rest up/heal for the last game of the regular season, which for a couple of them probably means playoff contention. And if I'm Joe Bob who has been busting his ass in practice since August to mostly stand on the sidelines, and his parents who are there every game to see their kid not break a sweat, a nice late-season reward. I guess you could say that in the SEC this would constitute "load managment week".

Looks better. Disappointing we can’t try a decent grass field in the southern U.S. Sure it costs more.

Any word on WR Coach interviews? It’s been such a position of strength for us since Higgins arrived, it is a fairly important hire.

He should be able to teach pretty fundamental blocking to the WR's since AF runs the triple option.

Gattis would not have been underwhelming, but it was probably always a pipe dream, or just not realistic for a number of reasons.

Nice to fantasize sometimes, though.

sounds like he elevated the level of wide receiver play at Air Force while he was there

Ari Confesor is in his fourth season as wide receivers coach at Air Force. He came to the Academy from Holy Cross, where he was the passing game coordinator and receivers coach in 2018.

Confesor had a remarkable debut season with the Falcons in 2019, helping to mentor one of the best wide receiver combos in program history in seniors Geraud Sanders and Ben Waters. The pair combined for 52 catches for 1,404 yards and 14 touchdowns. Sanders had 30 grabs for 746 yards and Waters 22 for 658 yards. They each had seven touchdown catches. Their 52 catches are the most at Air Force since 2015, while their yards and touchdowns are the best in the option era (1980) and best overall since 1970. Sanders led the nation with a 24.9 average and finished fifth in program history for TD catches in a single season. Waters set a school record with a 29.9 yards per catch average and tied with Sanders for fifth in AF history in touchdown catches.

Confesor helped Brandon Lewis complete one of the most successful and unexpected seasons in recent history in 2021. Lewis finished the season with team bests of 20 catches for 600 yards while setting a school record with his 30.0 yards per catch average, breaking the mark that Waters set just two seasons ago. Lewis capped the year with one of the best bowl performances ever, with five catches for 172 yards and two touchdowns. His 172 yards is a program record for a bowl while his TD catches of 64- and 61-yards rank third and fourth in AF history in the post season. The 172 yards were fifth best among players in bowl games while his 34.4 yards per catch ranked second.

He should be able to teach pretty fundamental blocking to the WR's since AF runs the triple option.

That is no better than foourth on my list of WR skills that can be taught.
1. Catch the ball and hold onto it.
2. Footwork to get separation from the defender.
3. Route running. Go where the called route says you should be.
4. Blocking. Screening for other receivers without getting OPI call.

Do Air Force WR’s even catch the ball? Clawson has such a hard on for Patriot league guys. As someone who has watched more Patriot League football than a discerning person should, I do not get it. I will also say this, Bob Chesney, the current Holy Cross coach is very good. So that fact that Ari did not stay there or last there, is not a good thing in my book.

A guy with P5 experience? Again - I trust the hire, I just had assumed (wrongly) that we would get someone a bit more established.
I know that you do. I was asking the question in complete seriousness since I don't really follow who are good assistant coaches.

I mean, having the most yards and touchdowns in a season in 49 years is pretty good no matter where you are.
If the argument is: Look what he did at Air Force where no one wants to be a WR, and they had no talent and he made due, that’s one thing, but I am not expecting that to be part of his recruiting pitch at Wake.

That is no better than foourth on my list of WR skills that can be taught.
1. Catch the ball and hold onto it.
2. Footwork to get separation from the defender.
3. Route running. Go where the called route says you should be.
4. Blocking. Screening for other receivers without getting OPI call.
NFL and CFB coaches would put that at #2 btw

Do Air Force WR’s even catch the ball? Clawson has such a hard on for Patriot league guys. As someone who has watched more Patriot League football than a discerning person should, I do not get it. I will also say this, Bob Chesney, the current Holy Cross coach is very good. So that fact that Ari did not stay there or last there, is not a good thing in my book.

FCS head coaches make about the same as assistant coaches in a conference like the MWC. For example, when Higgins became our WR coach (after previously being HC at Citadel and Lehigh), he got a pretty big pay increase.

Back