• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official ACC Basketball Thread: UVA beats Maryland in overtime!

May have been posted earlier in the thread, but did anyone notice when they put the RPI/SOS stat up on the screen last night that Wake's SOS is #56? Meanwhile UVA's was #202? Did I see that right?

Yes, that's what I said last week, our SOS is 6th or 7th in the conference. It hasn't been as easy as some have made it out to be by any stretch. With that being said, it will likely even out around 75-80th because of the remaining portion of our schedule (Miami here and @State are really the only two top tier teams of the ACC we have left on our schedule).

Also while Lewis was a slow starter this year (not playing well at all in 4 of his first 5 real appearances), the last six games in which he has played at least 10 minutes he has an above average offensive rating in EVERY SINGLE GAME. and since the beginning of December he's played 182 minutes with a total of 23 assists and 5 turnovers.

I watched him off the ball all night on defense. He certainly didn't stick out as somebody that was a weak link on defense anymore than the rest of the team did.

In limited action his defensive rating is 108.6 according to SCACCHoops.com, the exact same as Scott Wood, or for comparison for Wake, .2 worse than C.J. Harris (108.4).

There are obvious limitations to defensive rating, especially on a sample size as small as Lewis' play, but that does frame about where he is in comparison to others.

on the ball he can't cover anybody.

If you want someone who will give up more than he'll give, he's your guy. He's just too small and too slow to play D.

on the ball he can't cover anybody.

If you want someone who will give up more than he'll give, he's your guy. He's just too small and too slow to play D.

That's fine, I agree that he is limited defensively. I'm just saying that State isn't loaded with defensive juggernauts and they are looking to outscore most teams they play anyway. He fits in pretty well with what they are doing this year.

=Wakeforest22890;1123614]Their RPI will continue to improve as their SOS gets harder. Yes, but I'm not sure if it does enough. They will be a great test case of how bad an RPI you can have while still making the tournament, as I'd guess they're in the high 70s/low 80s when all is said and done.

Selection committee has also started using KenPom a lot more as well as BPI (which I think is okay but not as good as KP OBVIOUSLY BECAUSE KP IS FAAAAAAAAABULOUS), so RPI won't be AS big a factor as normal. Virginia is a tournament team.

As to the Selection Committee using Kenpom and BPI.....unless it's new this year, they don't. Even though they should.

There were about 100 articles written on it last year, with Matt Norlander and the CBS crew leading the charge for the good guys and the normal puppets leading the charge for the bad guys. The NCAA paid a lot of money to have the RPI created back in the day, and much like any self-loving regulatory or governmental body, they naturally fight tooth and nail to keep the status quo, to protect "their investment." The way this manifests itself is that they continue to make their relic of a statistical system the most prominent feature of the team sheets they give to all the committee members in hard copy and in their computer program.

So while the committee is not barred from seeking out outside data, they 1) don't really have enough time to seek it out once they start their committee meetings and 2) see everything through the lens of RPI in terms of who has beaten whom and how many top 25 wins etc each team has.

Here's the article that I remembered most vividly from last year if you're interested:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/34887185

I thought I read if KenPom was asked for they put it up and that as of last year a lot of the guys were asking to see KenPom stats.

I definitely remember that article and will take a look at it again! Maybe I just misremembered/was optimistic.

Today's slate:

12:00 #97 Florida St @ #159 Wake Forest (+1) 46%
1:00 #76 Georgia Tech @ #153 Virginia Tech (+2) 41%
2:00 #35 North Carolina @ #10 Miami (-10) 82%

ESPN says LeBron and D-Wade in the house for this one, as Miami and their pizza-throwing mascot get ready to play Roy's Boys.

I like how UNC has busted out the Doherty Era style jerseys. Brings back fond memories, doesn't it?

Two carrying calls on Miami early, you rarely see that called. Looks like refs are going to try to keep this game close, but UNC on the road sucks so bad, I don't think it will matter.

McAdoo just got fucked up. If Miami would quit turning it over, they'd already be up 15.

Back