• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Coaching Search Thread

I'm for some reason thinking Lembo and Clawsom are real contenders, because they have been HC's, been successful at small schools and probably won't get bigger jobs this year. I'm leaning Clawsom. Cant say for certain that Clawson is better than Narduzzi or the clemson guy, but he is at least on par with Lembo. They coached against each other in the patriot league. Clawson never beat Lembo but Clawson built his program literally from scratch (worst facilities in the league, worst recruiting base, worst funded, and no recent history of success) and won a league title and won a playoff game.Lembo took over a 1AA powerhouse and maintained it.

then they both took a step up to better 1AA conferences and excelled. again Clawson rose from a lower base at Richmond and lead them to the national semi finals (and they won the national title the year after clawson left, London then went to UVa. should have been clawsons job).

They have done a similar job in the MAC. I am not an expert on the history and facilities at either school, but i know Bowling Green is playing Northern Illinois this friday for the title.

In summary, Clawsons three head coaching stops were complete overhauls of the programs and at all three stops, he won. His career record is 89-80 and that includes his first years at:

Fordham: 0-11, 3-8

Richmond: 3-8

Bowling Green: 7-6, 2-10

If we don't have a HC by the end of the week we're in trouble.

I don't think that the time table has to be quite that tight, but it needs to be done well before signing day in February, to give the coach time to "re-recruit" the existing commits and to add a few of their own choosing. Wake has scholarships to give, and will probably have a few more spots open up once bowl season is completed and a few kids at the NFL feeders formally leave school for the NFL draft. And some flunk out. There may also be some 4th year juniors at Wake who don't want to play for another coach for one year, and just decide to graduate in the spring. Before Christmas would be preferable, but for the right coach, it may take until the end of bowl season. Play the bowl game, say good bye to the current players, head to Winston. It would be better for Wake if the coach selectee's current school was playing in an early bowl, so he could get to Wake sooner - and start getting his staff in place. But I would take a better coach for the long haul over an earlier arrival for this year.

Who knows of some nice apartments or houses for lease on a month to month basis? New coach may get to Wake by mid-December, but wife/family may not arrive until later in the spring-some parents don't like to move kids in the middle of a school year.

What's the rush? Who else are we competing against? Last year was the time to rush in and get your guy, but no one else is getting canned and all the bad teams hired a coach last year. I'm not saying wait till January, but we don't have to get it done by Friday. Lembo this week, Narduzzi next week. We'll be the only school looking for a coach for awhile.

Morris would not be able to get the same kids in school at Wake that he does at Clemson.

I personally think Morris is holding out for a bigger name, but I wouldn't worry about his recruiting at Wake. He's a great offense minded coach, and his talent evaluation is pretty much top of the list. He was the first to offer Johnny Manziel and the first to offer Clemson's current recruit who is the top rated dual threat QB....I think he would have no problem evaluating and getting the recruits he would need at Wake...

What's the rush? Who else are we competing against? Last year was the time to rush in and get your guy, but no one else is getting canned and all the bad teams hired a coach last year. I'm not saying wait till January, but we don't have to get it done by Friday. Lembo this week, Narduzzi next week. We'll be the only school looking for a coach for awhile.

dead period starts 12/16. Need to recruit before then.

I wouldn't believe any of the national writer tweets. We all know that Ron doesn't leak any info out on his one man coaching searches.

If we hire Rocco or the dude from Bowling Green I'm gonna be so pissed. So many better guys out there...

Need to make a hire before Texas does. If they hire a current head coach, lots of dominoes will start falling

Heard Mrs Calhoun does not like Winston. Also, the longer it takes the harder it gets. Quality guys want to think they are #1 and not some after thought after the top guys turned you down. So get your ass in gear Ron and get this done

Sorry to jump in and repeat, if brought up, but what about Clawson from Bowling Green..his resume is impressive

Clawson is under contract until 2018, according to the Bowling Green U web site. Don't know what his buyout might be. After his success in 2012, they locked him up for a while. Looks like this was his best year (9-3) at BGSU. Looks like he had reasonable success with what he was left (7-6, bowl) and then started over, dropping to a really bad second year, then progressively getting better each year. Had a Biletnikoff award finalist. Definitely came from offensive coordinator lineage - Villanova, and interestingly, one year (2008) at Tennessee in between HC jobs at Richmond and Bowling Green.

Clawson's DC is Mike Elko, a graduate of Penn - the Ivy league one, who had been with Clawson at three of his coaching stops- Bowling Green, Richmond, and Fordham. Elko's resume is all on the defensive side. He was also DC at Hofstra, and had a great pass defense.

His current OC, Mike Ruggerio, has also been with him all five years at BGSU. He has been an offense guy his whole coaching career - (18 years OC). Seems to like a passing attack. Coached Josh Freeman at Kansas State. Coached at Elon for a little while. Also was recruiting coordinator at one of his stops.

This guy has the coaching resume to look for. Personality and fit?? That is why you interview and talk to references, and friends of friends.

Current BGSU recruiting coordinator is also running backs coach. He was a holdover from the previous staff- eight years at BGSU. All five under Fred Clawson as recruiting coordinator.

Last edited:
Wellman will not hire someone he doesn't like or get along with personally. Human character is important to him. He wants a nice guy he can have a civil conversation with. WHether it is the right or wrong way to go about things is irrelevant. This is how Wellman operates. Personality is going to matter as much as anything with this hire.

This is what I am afraid of. Wellman is over 60 years old, he obviously loves the personality of buzz, so instead of an up and coming young coach that knows recruits etc... he will look for someone where he can share in his love of butterscotch pudding. This is why Wellman should not be in charge of this hire. Could you image Wellman having a conversation with the coach at Boston College, and in our potential coaches Narduzzi

The only things against you guys getting Chad Morris is that he is actually pretty highly sought out right now, and simply the fact that he's not all about leaving Clemson. He's happy as far as we know, and we have some very high level offensive recruits coming in. (#1 QB, Plethora of 4-star WRs, etc.)

I think he's a better fit for y'all than any of the other candidates I'm seeing, but the chances he lands in Winston are pretty low from what I'm reading.

I'm not against the idea of hiring Bud Foster (DC from VT). He clearly knows what he's doing with defense, has been mentored by Frank Beamer, who he has known since the 70s (player and coaching). We would nee some vision for offense then, but I think we've been looking for that for some time now already, at least from a fan perspective.

The one concern about hiring either Clawson or Lembo or Matt Campbell (Toeldo) is that their MAC records are inflated, by some programs in that conference that are beyond pathetic. UMASS, Akron, E Michigan, W Michigan, Miami (O) are so bad right now that essentially any competent program can show up and beat them. At WF, you get one game (at most) like that; the rest are battles.

Back