• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Mike White may be playing a much longer game, involving the school down I-40 where his father happens to work. He may not want to be in the same conference because of conference rules about coaches moving between schools. Much has been made that the replacement when the current coach there retires will be from the "family tree." However, if there aren't any promising branches, why not someone who is part of the tree "by marriage?"

If Mike White passes on Wake this year, has another good year or two at La Tech, then takes a top 50 job at a school not in the ACC and does well, he is in as good a position as he could be when K decides to call it a career.

Could have been an issue with Archie also.

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 51s
Bill Self on Manning: "He graduated, won NCAA title, No. 1 pick in draft, Olympian, two-time NBA all-star, family man, priorities straight."

I just want him to coach an team that wins at least 66% of its games. Everything else is just bonus filler.

Bret Strelow ‏@bretstrelow 1m
Wellman on Manning: "He has played for and worked under a number of legendary coaches and he has been successful in his coaching career."

Bret Strelow ‏@bretstrelow 1m
"We fully expect that Danny's coaching career will reflect the excellence of his playing career."

Winston-Salem Men's Warehouse Big & Tall section is stocking up on four-button suits and sport coats.

We have no way of knowing who was or wasn't called.

We may not know with certainty at this time, though more info should start coming out in the next few weeks. But if you believe the info from the quasi-insiders who have popped by this is what we think we know: Shaka was priority #1, had the weekend to think and told us no on Monday; Ron liked Amaker but Amaker took his name out early, as apparently did White; Marshall, Howland and Miller weren't seriously pursued; Manning was higher up on our list than some folks think and we pursued him seriously when we got Shaka's no on Monday. As I said, a fuller picture will appear soon, but that is the picture we have at this time.

Listen up, fellas. Let me tell you a little story: When Shakespeare painted Mona Lisa, everyone, literally everyone, was like "hey dumbass, who the fuck is that bitch?". They thought he was a bozo and they made him talk in fucking rhymes for the rest of his life as punishment for being such a weirdo.

Well, fast forward a thousand years to today, and guess what? Mona fucking Lisa is the most famous woman on earth and Shakespeare's grandchildren don't have to pay for dinner at any restaurant in America.

My point is let's not stick our dicks in the pasta just because the tomato sauce is a little cold. Heat it up. You just might like it.

This absolutely slayed me.

giphy.gif

LO EFFING L

Friends giving me shit for hire. Made the decision to immediately back him, spew off #1 draft pick and championship as asst under Self bs, but looks like I'm ready to at least hope for the best.

It's been a while since I've cheered 100% for Wake basketball without any hesitation but I'm back and willing. Hope he turns out to be something special.

this

This. Everyone I have spoken to who knows basketball thinks it's a pretty damn good hire. I'm disappointed, but I am far from being pissed off like I was when [ ] was hired and I am looking forward to seeing what he can do here.

Damn right. Let's go.

haha I looked at Frank Reagan's twitter earlier and he was on the verge of a total breakdown.

I think if Wellman hadn't said we're aiming high, swinging for the fences, etc., then this hire would be looked at more favorably.

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 51s
Bill Self on Manning: "He graduated, won NCAA title, No. 1 pick in draft, Olympian, two-time NBA all-star, family man, priorities straight."

The Melo curse?

I think if Wellman hadn't said we're aiming high, swinging for the fences, etc., then this hire would be looked at more favorably.

That, and had we not come so close with Shaka. I think had Shaka just sort of given a "thanks, but no thanks" right from the outset, we wouldn't have birthed an 840-page emotional roller-coaster of a thread.

Winston-Salem Men's Warehouse Big & Tall section is stocking up on four-button suits and sport coats.

Pour one out for Mike Fratello tonight.

haha I looked at Frank Reagan's twitter earlier and he was on the verge of a total breakdown.

"Wellwoman" was my favorite.

Although this thread took a turn for the worse on a couple of occasions, it was, particularly for the first week, a joy to follow, and exemplified a lot of what I love about Wake and its alumni. Kudos to everyone who made this the most memorable thread in boards history.

That's because before a single result at Wake, Buzz had three straight losing seasons at Colorado. People are getting behind Manning, even if they are disappointed we didn't land someone bigger. It's nothing like Buzz. Don't confuse spur of the moment posts with the general attitude of the fan base. Ofcrouse the fan base is pissed when we were told we were aiming high and ended up with Manning, but folks are still more than willing to give him a chance, unlike the Bzzaster.

Some people are acting like this is [Redacted] 2.0 and don't seem very ready to give him a chance. I'm glad you don't think it is and are.

Some people are acting like this is [name redacted] 2.0 and don't seem very ready to give him a chance. I'm glad you don't think it is and are.

People are acting like you'd expect them to act given what has gone down the last 4 years and last 4 days. Let the dust settle.

We may not know with certainty at this time, though more info should start coming out in the next few weeks. But if you believe the info from the quasi-insiders who have popped by this is what we think we know: Shaka was priority #1, had the weekend to think and told us no on Monday; Ron liked Amaker but Amaker took his name out early, as apparently did White; Marshall, Howland and Miller weren't seriously pursued; Manning was higher up on our list than some folks think and we pursued him seriously when we got Shaka's no on Monday. As I said, a fuller picture will appear soon, but that is the picture we have at this time.

You Jedi?

Back