• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

I think everyone wishes the best for our new coach. But I'm not sure we all agree that he is the best coach we could have hired.

99593-Superman-drinking-shots-gif-Im-iGOE.gif

Is this a real post? They are trying to raise a billion dollars. It's the most important capital campaign in the university's history. I'm sorry if you're too much of a moron to understand that.

Maybe they'll start giving out some of the money in merit scholarships instead of hiring 100 more Deans, but I doubt it. I was told by the person who doles out the money that only 4% of students receive anything in the way of merit money. I'm not contributing more money so more bloat can occur in the administrative ranks.

I'm in. People need to stop acting like that there are three rare geniuses on the entire planet who can fix Wake basketball (and that those three are exactly who the fans think they are). If the 2 million is real, that seems high, but keep in mind that the universally loathed [Redacted] made $1.4 million. That's a hell of a starting point for negotiations for any coach who is presumably brought in because he is better. Which sucks, but is far from the worst thing to come out of the Bz era.

Congratulations to Danny Manning on becoming a Deac! Thank god he didn't turn us down! I think all this chatter about shoulda, woulda, coulda, and wishing something else should stop. If we want to get Wake basketball back to being relevant, we need to as fans get behind the new coach, and the team. This will be the best hire we ever make if we continue to espouse the negative. Let's get behind coach Manning and make people like Shaka look back and realize they missed out on coming to a great school!

Except that that Wellman is proving to be one of the major reasons we swung and missed on better candidates. Sure, I can't fault him for swinging, but I can fault him for missing. He likes to be on control, so he gets to answer for the results. The Dino hiring was botched, the Dino firing was botched, the smearing of Dino's name was botched, the hiring of Buzz was botched, the keeping of Buzz was botched, the firing of Buzz was botched, and now we find ourselves, a historically Top 25 team in the ACC (with all of it's current advantages of TV money, exposure, best teams/coaches, etc), unable to hire or even get the ear of more proven candidates.

I think Manning was the best Wellman could do. Good for him for doing his best. Pats on the back all around. The problem is that I think someone else could have done better. We are where we are, content with Manning, because Wellman did his best for the last 8 years and it wasn't good enough. The program is at a historical low because of the way he has handled it. Manning is the best we could get because of that.

Which accounts? Why is it so hard for you to fault Wellman? Who the hell else are you going to fault? This mess is all his.

This attempt to correct it is pathetic. He should be fired now.

Agreed. And for all who are interested, our annual slide down the rankings in the Director's Cup is in full swing. We're down to 43rd and behind 8 other ACC schools. The basketball numbers will be added next week. That should give us a big boost! (Sarcasm)

I expect us to go 10-23 next year... 2-16 in conference. as much as i am hopeful that we will be better I fear that Wake Forest Basketball is dead forever. Considering we are in a stronger than ever ACC. I'm sure Manning will be a fine coach but i just think we're done.

I hope I'm wrong...

Lol is this serious?

I don't quite understand some of you. You want is to go after the big guns (which by all accounts we did), but now can't accept a good hire because you were hoping for the greatest hire.

It is hard for me to fault Wellman in this search. It certainly took longer than was comfortable but in the end I think we got a good prospect of a coach. He carries risk but he has a lot of positive qualities. This is not a [Redacted] hire. We conducted a national search and hit a solid double.

Your first paragraph is blatantly false from the info we've been given. We didn't go after Marshall or even Miller. As for Howland, I'm willing to buy into the where there's smoke there's fire thing with him, so I'm cool there. As for White, I've said differentiating him from Danny is splitting hairs, though I do believe that a guy like White not being interested in Wake and a huge raise is evidence as to how badly Ron and Buzzdick have devalued our program. But apparently Ron thought his ego and Marshall's couldn't co-exist at Wake and didn't put the full court press on Miller. After Ron and Hatch promising a home run, not going after those 2 guys before settling for Manning is inexcusable. Your giving Ron a pass on this is just plain ignoring the facts.

All of that said, I'm glad we were able to get Manning considering how much of a clusterfuck the hiring process has been. If Ron was going to ignore 2 great candidates and apparently thought Amaker was the bees knees, Manning is as good as we could have done. And he's a good guy and a big name. But don't sit there and act like Ron did everything he could correctly.

Your first paragraph is blatantly false from the info we've been given. We didn't go after Marshall or even Miller. As for Howland, I'm willing to buy into the where there's smoke there's fire thing with him, so I'm cool there. As for White, I've said differentiating him from Danny is splitting hairs, though I do believe that a guy like White not being interested in Wake and a huge raise is evidence as to how badly Ron and Buzzdick have devalued our program. But apparently Ron thought his ego and Marshall's couldn't co-exist at Wake and didn't put the full court press on Miller. After Ron and Hatch promising a home run, not going after those 2 guys before settling for Manning is inexcusable. Your giving Ron a pass on this is just plain ignoring the facts.

All of that said, I'm glad we were able to get Manning considering how much of a clusterfuck the hiring process has been. If Ron was going to ignore 2 great candidates and apparently thought Amaker was the bees knees, Manning is as good as we could have done. And he's a good guy and a big name. But don't sit there and act like Ron did everything he could correctly.

We have no way of knowing who was or wasn't called.

Time to support the hire..the time for debate and conjecture is over..welcome Coach Manning

Dude. I don't know why this is so hard for you to grasp. MIKE WHITE DID NOT WANT TO CONSIDER THE WAKE FOREST JOB. We called him. He didn't even want to consider the opportunity. You are acting like these things are like some guaranteed linear progression. He simply didn't want to consider the job.

It's been stated ad nauseum, but he said he didn't think he was ready. A couple years of a really nice salary isn't worth fucking your career because you made the big jump before you're ready. I don't see how this is so difficult for you to understand.

Mike White may be playing a much longer game, involving the school down I-40 where his father happens to work. He may not want to be in the same conference because of conference rules about coaches moving between schools. Much has been made that the replacement when the current coach there retires will be from the "family tree." However, if there aren't any promising branches, why not someone who is part of the tree "by marriage?"

If Mike White passes on Wake this year, has another good year or two at La Tech, then takes a top 50 job at a school not in the ACC and does well, he is in as good a position as he could be when K decides to call it a career.

Oh God you sound just like the AD. We all become what we hate

I can deal with classless jerks, as long as they aren't loser classless jerks who tell me I'm an idiot for not believing they're a winner.

I can deal with classless jerks, as long as they aren't loser classless jerks who tell me I'm an idiot for not believing they're a winner.

You're an idiot because that sentence makes no sense.

Can we just all agree not the use word "class" when evaluating a coach or a player now? It reeks of the [Redacted] era, and we're past that.

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 51s
Bill Self on Manning: "He graduated, won NCAA title, No. 1 pick in draft, Olympian, two-time NBA all-star, family man, priorities straight."

Back