• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

The five stages of hiring a coach.
1. Hope. I hope it's true that we are pursuing Coach X.
2. Arrogance. It's in the bag. Their program is bush. We are more intelligent and we have more money. Our conference is 3X their conference.
3. Anger. What is taking this guy so long? The choice is clear. Back up the Brinks truck. Our AD is incompetent.
4. Obscenity. It's his ##%$* wife. The AD is a #$@*&^. The coach is a &%$^# egomaniac.
5. Acceptance(but with a little bit of #4). We need to support our new coach but the AD is still a ^%$#*& weasel!
This thread was like driving around a car wreck. It could become a case study one day. A behavioral psych professor could build an entire course around it.

No. We got a guy who lost to Oral Roberts at home this past season. Who only has two years of head coaching experience and has had only one decent season. The unknowns outweigh the knowns by a mile.

We knew bzz was a failure before the hire. Give him a chance.

Going to miss this thread.

29797-red-burning-candle.gif

One question with the coaching change if any recruit wants to reconsider their commitment is their letter of intent binding.

Rest in peace, Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread. We may not have gotten what we wanted, but we ultimately do not have [Redacted] leading us anymore. You will be missed.

All the bolded was correct. I don't disagree. We have a lot to blame Wellman for in the past. I don't consider this hire to be one of them. He hired a very desirable candidate. After Shaka and Marshall (and it has become very apparent we weren't getting either of those) every coach had severe question marks (MAnning included). So we hired a guy with big upside. I like the the move, and don't put any blame on Wellman for it. Wellman certainly made this difficult on himself with his past actions, and for that the fan base will never forgive him, but Manning is a good hire, just like Clawson was a good hire.

It doesn't redeem Wellman (Shaka or Marshall would have started the redemption process) but Wellman was doing his job, and I think he did just fine in this instance.

It appears that both in hiring Clawson and Manning, Wellman had considerable help. After Buzz, there was no way the powers that be could allow Wellman to hire our next revenue sports coaches on his own.

An epic thread! The last 2 weeks have been...um, very interesting. I will miss it too but glad we all can now re-focus on a new beginning for our basketball program. And we also can get back to our day to day lives...you know - work, family, etc....without feeling guilty about spending so much time here.....:thumbsup:

MANN UP DEACS!!

Good bye coaching search thred. I have spent more time with you over the last two weeks thab I have with my girlfriend.

I had 121 posts in this thread and was the 38th most active poster. That is crazy.

#4B4L

I'm ready to support Manning as well but Wellman gets NONE ZERO not a shred of credit for how he handled this search. Manning is not a bad option but the fact we're in a bidding war with Tulsa when Wellman purposefully set EXPECTATIONS sky high for another tier of coaches is INEXCUSABLE. Putting people in a position to succeed isn't that hard and not FUCKING with a beleaguered fan base also isn't that hard. I hope Manning is fantastic and there are a couple positives to latch onto but please don't give Wellman credit for anything. Some posters on this board could have handled this search better from a expectation/media perspective.

Huh? You don't want us to have high expectations? I have no problem with Wellman setting our sights high, nor doing I have a problem with us being informed we want to shoot high. I mainly care about who we actually get. I do have a problem with some asswhipe telling Dan we would be settling for Shaka. I doubt that was Ron and I doubt that came from Ron. I think most of the uproar for the process is fabricated. If you don't like the end result, Manning, I understand. If you are pissed we didn't get Shaka....I am not really sure I understand.

I think a big point in Miller's favor is not only his Elite 8 run but the fact that Miller is much, much younger than Manning is -- 35 vs. 47. On the other hand, I'd submit in our new coach's favor that a primary reason for that is because Manning spent all those years playing in the National Basketball Association.

But Manning is still pretty young to be taking over a Big 5 HC position. I am not worried at all about his age (not directed at you as it doesn't seem you are either). He has another 20 years of high-energy coaching if he is legit. Age isn't an issue. That decade "lost" brings a lot of very valuable experience to our bench in exchange.

Back