• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Archie Miller has one more year as a HC than Danny Manning and better looking wife... why is he such a Home Run over Manning ? Because he made a run in the Tourney ? Every year a mid major makes a run now... that is a function of the state of college basketball more than a superstar coach.

I would have preferred Miller over Manning but it's not like we missed on James F-ing Naismith. I just don't see that this hire is a colossal mistake or an epic failure...

I do think that Wellman's responsibilities with the NCAA delayed the Bzz firing keeping us from being able to make a play at Williams.

We may not know with certainty at this time, though more info should start coming out in the next few weeks. But if you believe the info from the quasi-insiders who have popped by this is what we think we know: Shaka was priority #1, had the weekend to think and told us no on Monday; Ron liked Amaker but Amaker took his name out early, as apparently did White; Marshall, Howland and Miller weren't seriously pursued; Manning was higher up on our list than some folks think and we pursued him seriously when we got Shaka's no on Monday. As I said, a fuller picture will appear soon, but that is the picture we have at this time.

This seems a very reasonable conclusion. May be that we never find out exactly what did or dod not occur. I think this is an excellent hire based on the landscape after Shaka. We certainly did better on paper than our rival jobs with the possible exception of VT. That one I can't explain other than the timing was impeccable. Then again he may not last there either. We certainly did better than BC by a long shot and who knows what Wojo will do but that was a shot in the dark for a school that has great heritage and nothing else but basketball.

A great big welcome to Coach Manning and i look forward to getting this proud program back to its rightful place.

BkYt1DIIcAAuc-1.jpg:large

Danny Manning is a big hire for Wake Forest. No he is not the home run people were hoping for but he is a big get for Wake Forest. Is it big somewhat due to his college career? Of course, but a big hire nonetheless.

I still would love to see Childress on the bench with him working with the guards.

Their college succes and Manning's NBA career does give him street cred and gets his foot in the door. Now we get to see if he can run an ACC program and coach.

Archie Miller has one more year as a HC than Danny Manning and better looking wife... why is he such a Home Run over Manning ? Because he made a run in the Tourney ? Every year a mid major makes a run now... that is a function of the state of college basketball more than a superstar coach.

I would have preferred Miller over Manning but it's not like we missed on James F-ing Naismith. I just don't see that this hire is a colossal mistake or an epic failure...

I do think that Wellman's responsibilities with the NCAA delayed the Bzz firing keeping us from being able to make a play at Williams.
I think a big point in Miller's favor is not only his Elite 8 run but the fact that Miller is much, much younger than Manning is -- 35 vs. 47. On the other hand, I'd submit in our new coach's favor that a primary reason for that is because Manning spent all those years playing in the National Basketball Association.

We may not know with certainty at this time, though more info should start coming out in the next few weeks. But if you believe the info from the quasi-insiders who have popped by this is what we think we know: Shaka was priority #1, had the weekend to think and told us no on Monday; Ron liked Amaker but Amaker took his name out early, as apparently did White; Marshall, Howland and Miller weren't seriously pursued; Manning was higher up on our list than some folks think and we pursued him seriously when we got Shaka's no on Monday. As I said, a fuller picture will appear soon, but that is the picture we have at this time.

What I heard...this isn't gospel, just a combination of what I heard from various people about the search:

Shaka was the top priority and was offered $3 million once benefits and whatnot were included. He took a long time considering the offer and at some point apparently said no. It sounded like it was a drawn out negotiation. Wellman had interest in Amaker but he quickly intimated he wasn't interested. We also put out feelers for White and he just wasn't interested in going anywhere, not just Wake. We also seriously pursued Miller but he said he wasn't interested pretty early on, prior to any offer going out. A call was made to Howland at some point, but that's pretty much it - no serious interest from Wake. I never heard anything about Marshall from anyone but a couple people assumed he was contacted.

Manning was pretty far down the list. He was definitely not in the top four or five. That doesn't really matter because he's here now, just the reality of it I suppose.

Well, almost 17000 posts and we finally have a head coach....

Welcome, Coach Manning....

GO DEACS!

Considering all of Wellman's fuck-ups, it could have been a whole lot worse.

What I heard...this isn't gospel, just a combination of what I heard from various people about the search:

Shaka was the top priority and was offered $3 million once benefits and whatnot were included. He took a long time considering the offer and at some point apparently said no. It sounded like it was a drawn out negotiation. Wellman had interest in Amaker but he quickly intimated he wasn't interested. We also put out feelers for White and he just wasn't interested in going anywhere, not just Wake. We also seriously pursued Miller but he said he wasn't interested pretty early on, prior to any offer going out. A call was made to Howland at some point, but that's pretty much it - no serious interest from Wake. I never heard anything about Marshall from anyone but a couple people assumed he was contacted.

Manning was pretty far down the list. He was definitely not in the top four or five. That doesn't really matter because he's here now, just the reality of it I suppose.

aka #Dino'sRevenge.

This thread just went through the 5 stages of grief with most people now moving into the 5th stage. It was a spectacular thread and interesting to witness as everything unfolded.

The 5 Stages of Loss and Grief:

1. Denial — As the reality of loss is hard to face, one of the first reactions to follow the loss is Denial. What this means is that the person is trying to shut out the reality or magnitude of their situation, and begin to develop a false, preferable reality.

2. Anger — "Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can this happen to me?"; '"Who is to blame?" Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to care for due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy. Anger can manifest itself in different ways. People can be angry with themselves, or with others, and especially those who are close to them. It is important to remain detached and nonjudgmental when dealing with a person experiencing anger from grief.

3. Bargaining — "I'll do anything for a few more years."; "I will give my life savings if…" The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow undo or avoid a cause of grief. Usually, the negotiation for an extended life is made with a higher power in exchange for a reformed lifestyle. Other times, they will use anything valuable as a bargaining chip against another human agency to extend or prolong the life they live. Psychologically, the individual is saying, "I understand I will die, but if I could just do something to buy more time…" People facing less serious trauma can bargain or seek to negotiate a compromise. For example "Can we still be friends?" when facing a break-up. Bargaining rarely provides a sustainable solution, especially if it is a matter of life or death.

4. Depression — "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die soon so what's the point?"; "I miss my loved one, why go on?" During the fourth stage, the grieving person begins to understand the certainty of death. Much like the existential concept of The Void, the idea of living becomes pointless. Things begin to lose meaning to the griever. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and sullen. This process allows the grieving person to disconnect from things of love and affection, possibly in an attempt to avoid further trauma. Depression could be referred to as the dress rehearsal for the 'aftermath'. It is a kind of acceptance with emotional attachment. It is natural to feel sadness, regret, fear, and uncertainty when going through this stage. Feeling those emotions shows that the person has begun to accept the situation. Often times, this is the ideal path to take, to find closure and make their ways to the fifth step, Acceptance.

5. Acceptance — "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it." In this last stage, individuals begin to come to terms with their mortality or inevitable future, or that of a loved one, or other tragic event. This stage varies according to the person's situation. People dying can enter this stage a long time before the people they leave behind, who must pass through their own individual stages of dealing with the grief. This typically comes with a calm, retrospective view for the individual, and a stable mindset.

Except that that Wellman is proving to be one of the major reasons we swung and missed on better candidates. Sure, I can't fault him for swinging, but I can fault him for missing. He likes to be on control, so he gets to answer for the results. The Dino hiring was botched, the Dino firing was botched, the smearing of Dino's name was botched, the hiring of Buzz was botched, the keeping of Buzz was botched, the firing of Buzz was botched, and now we find ourselves, a historically Top 25 team in the ACC (with all of it's current advantages of TV money, exposure, best teams/coaches, etc), unable to hire or even get the ear of more proven candidates.

I think Manning was the best Wellman could do. Good for him for doing his best. Pats on the back all around. The problem is that I think someone else could have done better. We are where we are, content with Manning, because Wellman did his best for the last 8 years and it wasn't good enough. The program is at a historical low because of the way he has handled it. Manning is the best we could get because of that.

All the bolded was correct. I don't disagree. We have a lot to blame Wellman for in the past. I don't consider this hire to be one of them. He hired a very desirable candidate. After Shaka and Marshall (and it has become very apparent we weren't getting either of those) every coach had severe question marks (MAnning included). So we hired a guy with big upside. I like the the move, and don't put any blame on Wellman for it. Wellman certainly made this difficult on himself with his past actions, and for that the fan base will never forgive him, but Manning is a good hire, just like Clawson was a good hire.

It doesn't redeem Wellman (Shaka or Marshall would have started the redemption process) but Wellman was doing his job, and I think he did just fine in this instance.

[Redacted]'s hiring was the 5 stages of grief. In your heart you knew the likelihood of success was very low but you might as well deal with it and give him a chance to see what he could do.

Manning could end up being a home run hire.

[Redacted]'s hiring was the 5 stages of grief. In your heart you knew the likelihood of success was very low but you might as well deal with it and give him a chance to see what he could do.

It's over. You don't have to do this anymore.

[name redacted]'s hiring was the 5 stages of grief. In your heart you knew the likelihood of success was very low but you might as well deal with it and give him a chance to see what he could do.

I'd settle for a single in conjunction with Wellman's resignation. Better yet, his firing.

Last edited:
Back