• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

I was wondering if I needed to specifically reorder the quotes from top to bottom rather than just leaving them as they were after clicking the "+ button. For some reason, I thought you weren't going to whine about it. I know better now.

Just do everybody a favor and read first before popping into a conversation like you know everything. It's all too common on the Tunnels. You make points everybody else has already made an act like a genius. Don't start doing it here, too.

I'll take all of that under advisement. In the meantime you may want to ponder this on a range of levels. I say "may" because I won't pretend to know what is best for you.

pointing-at-self-in-mirror.jpg

I mean, we flew the plane to Muncie. Everything was 100% Lembo positive. Then we started hearing the rumors that he's abrasive, wouldn't get along with Wellman, not a good fit for WF, would push too hard for stuff we can't afford, etc. Where did all that come from? Publications? No.

I like Clawson and think he's going to do great; that has nothing to do with this.

In public, Wellman loves to spin stuff, ESPECIALLY negative stuff. You think he doesn't use back channels to spin perception among the big fish and have that trickle down to the fanbase? Be serious.

Which, if everyone was paying attention, already started to happen. The "admission requirements/recruiting issues" has already been mentioned, albeit briefly.

Oh shit! Wellman's still not been arrested for the four year fraud?

Fucking clown shoes.

This thread is like a car wreck. You don't want to look at it but you are compelled to.

I think the combo of the (likely) letdown from shaka chatter resulted in a higher degree of vulnerability to some c+ at best trolling/flaming

Let's roll Shaka's house with toilet paper to show him how awesome our traditions are at Wake.

He may not come here, but Shaka really seems to be a Wake Forest a good fit. No way to spin that differently. If he turns us down,as he has others, he simply is not in the market or ready to make a change. If he really takes a good look at us, I take that as a positive in any case. He is one of many potential good choices.

That would be AMAZING.

RJ could make his debut in this thread, 7200 posts in, just to take down the entire VCU fanbase. It would completely redeem him for me, I think. I'd never criticize him again still criticize him sometimes but maybe I'd let silly things slide.

Why is rj not posting here?

Lol, please tell me it's not because LK started it and RJ has him on ignore

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Beware fake twitter accounts/info

I want to weigh in on the "Wake Forest Guy" discussion. Wake is a small school. We all know that. We've always been small. The best coaches have ever had understand and admire that. I would be shocked if Wake's size wasn't one of the reasons we all chose to go to Wake. I know it was a big factor in my choosing and enjoying Wake. A "WF Guy" gets that and appreciates it.

At the same time, Wake Forest is one of the best schools in the country. This has not always been the case, but, at least from my read of our history, we have always been trying to head in that direction (the move to W-S is the strongest indicator of this).

From an athletics perspective, I want a coach that embodies what is best about Wake Forest. Small school with big achievements and aspirations. Small is a problematic word for athletics, so think about it in terms of intimacy. Wake values community. The local fans and donors value that family feel around Wake. I think Wake also values success. I think it is possible to have both, and I think it is right to have both.

In terms of a coach fitting that mold, it was Skip Prosser to a T. Skip was as competitive as they come. He had big goals, and I think would have achieved them eventually. At the same time, Skip always had time for students, fans, and other members of the WF community. During my time at Wake, Skip at lunch in the Pit or Benson seemingly every day. He loved being around students. He was one of the most famous coaches in CBB at the time. It was unique.

Maybe I'm being too nostalgic, but Wake has hired and will continue to hire some pretty successful people, but they come to teach smaller classes. They value that. Athletically, the equivalent is a successful coach that values the intimate community of Wake.

I think Clawson gets and communicates that very well. That is what is best about Wake Forest. It's what I expect from Wake Forest athletics. I don't want one without the other.

That being said, I don't know enough about Gregg Marshall as to whether he would fit that mold. It seems to be right in Shaka Smart's wheelhouse.

Last edited:
I want to way in on the "Wake Forest Guy" discussion. Wake is a small school. We all know that. We've always been small. The best coaches have ever had understand and admire that. I would be shocked if Wake's size wasn't one of the reasons we all chose to go to Wake. I know it was a big factor in my choosing and enjoying Wake. A "WF Guy" gets that and appreciates it.

At the same time, Wake Forest is one of the best schools in the country. This has not always been the case, but, at least from my read of our history, we have always been trying to head in that direction (the move to W-S is the strongest indicator of this).

From an athletics perspective, I want a coach that embodies what is best about Wake Forest. Small school with big achievements and aspirations. Small is a problematic word for athletics, so think about it in terms of intimacy. Wake values community. The local fans and donors value that family feel around Wake. I think Wake also values success. I think it is possible to have both, and I think it is right to have both.

In terms of a coach fitting that mold, it was Skip Prosser to a T. Skip was as competitive as they come. He had big goals, and I think would have achieved them eventually. At the same time, Skip always had time for students, fans, and other members of the WF community. During my time at Wake, Skip at lunch in the Pit or Benson seemingly every day. He loved being around students. He was one of the most famous coaches in CBB at the time. It was unique.

Maybe I'm being too nostalgic, but Wake has hired and will continue to hire some pretty successful people, but they come to teach smaller classes. They value that. Athletically, the equivalent is a successful coach that values the intimate community of Wake.

I think Clawson gets and communicates that very well. That is what is best about Wake Forest. It's what I expect from Wake Forest athletics. I don't want one without the other.

That being said, I don't know enough about Gregg Marshall as to whether he would fit that mold. It seems to be right in Shaka Smart's wheelhouse.
Great post. Totally agree.

Last edited:
Ok. It's Saturday morning. We've got a Brinks truck full of money and we need a coach. Drive that truck and offer it to someone who wants it, Ron. (Just make sure he can coach this time.)

Back