• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

If true about Mike White, that one has to fall completely on Wellman IMO. White's father must have said no way do you want to work for that asshole. The money will eventually come, but save yourself the horror of having to deal with RW on a daily basis.

So if Ron Wellman is so concerned about messaging and controlling the story and not allowing leaks during a coaching search, how come he wasn't more concerned about Bzzaster running his stupid mouth in a USA Today article after he was shit-canned?

I thought we would impose some stipulations if we "allowed him to resign." I'm certainly a bit concerned when it comes to Wellman's judgment at this point, but who's to say he isn't just rubber-stamping the work of one Mike Buddie at this point?

So many questions, so much speculation and not enough scoopulation!! I'm ready for this to be over.

The problem is Wellman actually believes all of [Redacted]'s shit. The press conference was tacit approval of that interview.

"Home run hire."

The minute someone at the AD uttered those words to a reporter, or uttered them a big-mouthed booster who would utter them to a reporter, this was inevitable.

This. Expectations were raised too high for any acceptable solution.

This board is made up of people who tune in to ESPN3.com broadcasts at 2pm on a Saturday. It's not this board we should be concerned about.

I've talked candidates with 10-12 Wake alum friends in the real world, and everyone seemed pretty agreeable to Manning, should Miller/Shaka/Marshall not work out. A few liked Howland, but all were generally okay with a Manning hire. Then I came on here, where the idea is being treated like the Ebola virus. Most Wake people I talk to are just happy the old coach is gone and ready for a real one to step in. They're not going to be "disappointed" with Manning. Wanted Shaka? Sure. But we just sucked hard for four years, it seems like a stretch that we'd get the absolute best coach candidate possible, and a hot mid-major coach with significant upside -- who, importantly, seems like he could recruit -- makes perfect sense in this context. At least to me.

Maybe it's a small sample size, but I'm pretty surprised by the tone here.

I've heard a similar story from a bunch of people; my hope is that their source is the same and it's BS, although hard to believe because it jibes well with everything that's been publicly available. Anyway, White (undoubtedly influenced by his father) apparently wants more experience at his first job before he jumps to the next level, so he took himself out of consideration early in the process with Wake. Also explains how he went from USF's main target one day to "not in consideration" the next.

He's got a lot of returning talent so I imagine it won't be hard for him to get a high level gig after next season if he chooses to pursue one at that time. But yeah, MEGA BUMMER.

Hopefully everything I've just typed is all bullshit.

I could see all of this as possible. Really smart guys like him have to be afraid of the Peter principle, and moving up too quickly.

I imagine this is false. Marshall and Miller were/are likely available for the right price. I'm afraid Wellman and his merry band of enablers do not realize the position they have put Wake in. Their ineptitude has made us the Charlotte Bobcats of the coaching carousel. Charlotte either has to luck out in the draft or severely overpay B-list stars (Al Jefferson) in order to be remotely relevant. Wake either has to luck out (Shaka, Marshall, Wright) or severely overpay B-list coaches (Miller, Mack, White). It seems like Wellman might not be willing to do that.

LOLLLLLERZ. You must be a big NBA fan.

If true about Mike White, that one has to fall completely on Wellman IMO. White's father must have said no way do you want to work for that asshole. The money will eventually come, but save yourself the horror of having to deal with RW on a daily basis.

Or his father said, their fans are psychotic and you don't want to go there.

I've talked candidates with 10-12 Wake alum friends in the real world, and everyone seemed pretty agreeable to Manning, should Miller/Shaka/Marshall not work out. A few liked Howland, but all were generally okay with a Manning hire. Then I came on here, where the idea is being treated like the Ebola virus. Most Wake people I talk to are just happy the old coach is gone and ready for a real one to step in. They're not going to be "disappointed" with Manning. Wanted Shaka? Sure. But we just sucked hard for four years, it seems like a stretch that we'd get the absolute best coach candidate possible, and a hot mid-major coach with significant upside -- who, importantly, seems like he could recruit -- makes perfect sense in this context. At least to me.

LOWF personified.

I wish the Buzz Williams stuff would go away.

Sadly it will never go away as when he wins his 5th straight game versus WF, we will all rewind to now when we were the superior program.

Wellman is the direct and proximate cause of all of this. The fan response was reasonably predictable based on the results. Please stop it with "it's the fans fault."

Or his father said, their fans are psychotic and you don't want to go there.

Always amusing when "the fans" are given all this power into the decisions of recruits & professional coaches. Any coach should easily see that this fan base is starving for a winner & the man who now can come in & be one is going to be put on a pedestal sooner than he even deserves.

#raciost

Maya Smart ‏@MayaSmart Mar 31
"Success is making the best choices we can ... and accepting them." - Sheryl Sandberg #leanin

I think we're all aware that WF is the best choice. Now just accept it!

Back