• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

There were a lot of people on this forum (the majority, actually) who, before Shaka even emerged as a serious candidate, preferred the risky up-and-coming tier to the Howlands and Amakers and Macks of the world. Manning falls nearly into that tier, if (IMO) slightly below Archie, White, and Masiello (when everyone still thought he had a college degree).

He has a decent resume. He's less proven than Archie, and he's obviously not Shaka or Gregg, but like many posters are saying this morning, his ceiling is really unknown. Yeah, that makes him high risk, but between the Self pedigree and what little I saw of him at Tulsa late this year, I'm willing to give the guy a shot, risk aversion be damned.

The most interesting thing about this hire, for me, is that it looks like Wellman was trying to get the best of both worlds here after he realized he wasn't bringing in Shaka/Gregg/Howland/Archie. Manning has the young up-and-coming upside of someone with a lack of experience and big assistant chops, but he's still already 47 years old, and his NBA experience will make him something of a safer name to the Wake fanbase. On top of that, Tulsa is a private religious school that's actually smaller than us, and Manning was going to have to deal with a scholarship logjam over there that's not really dissimilar from Wake's situation.

Honestly, it seems like a really good fit for both parties. I just wish we hadn't been sold the home run bullshit first, because as a good a fit as it is, Manning is no home run.

Last edited:
Yep it was classless, but sadly predictable form the assholes who did it.

It was stupid, childish and could do nothing but harm. But they are internet tough guys.

I think the idea was it was floated out or leaked by the AD.

Wake can compete for titles. Wake WILL compete for titles, with Manning, or the next guy, or some guy after that. The irony is, it's the "another bad coach will destroy us forever!!!!!!!" crowd that are LOWF. It implies that our future solely relies on any one particular coaching hire. How much more LOWF can you get? Personally I think Wake is a much stronger program than that. We'll be fine.

So strong that we're in a bidding war with Tulsa for a coach who is running us through the media mud to increase his salary wherever he goes and all the while freaked out beyond belief that he may actually turn us down. Yeah Wake is STRONG and will be Fine!

There were a lot of people on this forum (the majority, actually) who, before Shaka even emerged as a serious candidate, preferred the risky up-and-coming tier to the Howlands and Amakers and Macks of the world. Manning falls nearly into that tier, if (IMO) slightly below Archie, White, and Masiello (when everyone still thought he had a college degree).

He has a decent resume. He's less proven than Archie, and he's obviously not Shaka or Gregg, but like many posters are saying this morning, his ceiling is really unknown. Yeah, that makes him high risk, but between the Self pedigree and what little I saw of him at Tulsa late this year, I'm willing to give the guy a shot, risk aversion be damned.

The most interesting thing about this hire, for me, is that it looks like Wellman was trying to get the best of both worlds here, after he realized he wasn't bringing in Shaka/Gregg/Howland/Archie. Manning has the young up-and-coming upside of someone with a lack of experience and big assistant chops, but he's still already 47 years old, and his NBA experience will make him something of a safer name to the Wake fanbase. On top of that, Tulsa is a private religious school that's actually smaller than us, and Manning was going to have to deal with a scholarship logjam over there that's not really dissimilar from Wake's situation.

Honestly, it seems like a really good fit for both parties. I just wish we hadn't been sold the home run bullshit first, because as a good a fit as it is, Manning is no home run.

Excellent summary

It bears repeating that much of this spaz-out by the fanbase/board is directly linked to that fucking retarded "home run" comment to Dan Collins last week. A case study of what not to do in terms of expectations management.

It really makes no sense that people would have been all over Michael White's nuts but are apoplectic over Danny Manning. Manning won out with a younger team. He was his conference's COY over Michael White. He went to the Dance (in his 2nd year) not Michael White. I think both coaches are potential up-and-comers, but for people to be excited about Michael White but think Danny Manning is the worst hire possible is just wrong.

We went for Shaka, apparently as hard as we could. He was the #1 choice. He's turned down other schools before Wake. He strongly considered the Wake job. Give it a rest people.

Prefer Manning to Longergan/Turner/White/Amaker. Would have preferred Miller but basically that is just based on recent run--which had a lot to do with matchups more than anything else. I think the board reaction is essentially the realization that we aren't as attractive as we thought we were. We are basically a chick who thinks she is a 9 but really is a 7--I'm guilty of this too--as are many fan bases.

The most interesting thing about this hire, for me, is that it looks like Wellman was trying to get the best of both worlds here after he realized he wasn't bringing in Shaka/Gregg/Howland/Archie. Manning has the young up-and-coming upside of someone with a lack of experience and big assistant chops, but he's still already 47 years old, and his NBA experience will make him something of a safer name to the Wake fanbase. On top of that, Tulsa is a private religious school that's actually smaller than us, and Manning was going to have to deal with a scholarship logjam over there that's not really dissimilar from Wake's situation.

The scholarship logjam is going to have to be sorted out for any new coach to be successful here.

won't surprise me to see CP3 and possibly Tim Duncan give thumbs up to DannyManning

So strong that we're in a bidding war with Tulsa for a coach who is running us through the media mud to increase his salary wherever he goes and all the while freaked out beyond belief that he may actually turn us down. Yeah Wake is STRONG and will be Fine!

It's not really a war. We can offer more money, we will offer more money, and we have a far more desirable job than Tulsa.

Plus, Manning is still a baller in the gym. If Manning is the hire (unless Shaka accepts last minute), we go from having [name redacted] walk in recruits' doors to having Danny Manning. It's an upgrade.

It bears repeating that much of this spaz-out by the fanbase/board is directly linked to that fucking retarded "home run" comment to Dan Collins last week. A case study of what not to do in terms of expectations management.

Yep.

It bears repeating that much of this spaz-out by the fanbase/board is directly linked to that fucking retarded "home run" comment to Dan Collins last week. This is a case study of what not to do in terms of expectations management.
I disagree. Our expectations were high because we were going after Shaka. That was known independently of Dan's article.

Prefer Manning to Longergan/Turner/White/Amaker. Would have preferred Miller but basically that is just based on recent run--which had a lot to do with matchups more than anything else. I think the board reaction is essentially the realization that we aren't as attractive as we thought we were. We are basically a chick who thinks she is a 9 but really is a 7--I'm guilty of this too--as are many fan bases.

Also had a lot to do with two missed buzzer beaters.

Whole lot of paranoia in this quote. Take a breath, man.

I mean all Danny Manning has to do is get his recruiting on in 2015 and 2016 and we should be ok. The amount of talent in NC/SC/VA in the next two recruiting classes is absurd. Its like if Jabari Parker/Wiggins/Aaron Gordon were all in the same state.

The scholarship logjam is going to have to be sorted out for any new coach to be successful here.

Yeah, that was my point. I have to think that Manning's scholarship logjam at Tulsa came up in Wellman's interview, and that Manning offered some sort of blueprint on how he planned to deal with it.

Unbelievably true.

Back