• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

There is no way we would fire a coach after one year barring a scandal on his end

Interim. Do it the right way this time rather than the way we did it Dino the first time. Basically, let's reboot and try again.

People are all for taking a risk in bringing in a head coach with virtually no experience but are flipping out about the risk that Ben Howland comes in and tarnishes Wake's reputation. Which is riskier? Hoping that Danny Manning becomes a coach worthy of the top half in the ACC is MUCH RISKIER than bringing in a proven winner like Howland, who knows his reputation is in question, to an environment like Culture Club Wake Forest, and having him break the rules.

And you know what, worst case scenario if Howland does embarrass Wake Forest? We remain embarrassed. We're already embarrassed. Every other month there's a new crisis having longtime alumni question whether we've finally hit bottom.

Reactions: Ayo
Yup, hopefully we get a nobody for a tiny price and we can redo this with another AD next year.

I am starting to think this is not a terrible idea. Interim/Battle for year and let a search form or new AD conduct a proper search next year.

Yup, hopefully we get a nobody for a tiny price and we can redo this with another AD next year.

There is no way we would fire a coach after one year barring a scandal on his end

For sure. We will be trying to pull a VT in two years. Get a new AD and then give him the big stick. By then maybe we can get that new VT AD to move to Winston...

People are all for taking a risk in bringing in a head coach with virtually no experience but are flipping out about the risk that Ben Howland comes in and tarnishes Wake's reputation. Which is riskier? Hoping that Danny Manning becomes a coach worthy of the top half in the ACC is MUCH RISKIER than bringing in a proven winner like Howland, who knows his reputation is in question, to an environment like Culture Club Wake Forest, and having him break the rules.

And you know what, worst case scenario if Howland does embarrass Wake Forest? We remain embarrassed. We're already embarrassed. Every other month there's a new crisis having longtime alumni question whether we've finally hit bottom.
Yep.

I've thought about the idea of Danny Manning as our coach and I've managed to talk myself into the combination.
Main objective positive points

- 96.7 defensive efficiency rating
This KenPom defensive ranking puts the Golden Hurricane among the 40 most efficient defenses in the land. For perspective, that puts them in the same neighborhood as Michigan, Kansas and Wisconsin. (espn)

- Tulsa played well down the stretch won their conference tournament and demonstrated some end of season resilience and consistency even if the conference wasn't the greatest of talent.

- Assistant to Bill Self for years Kansas is the model of consistency and winning and Manning was there for a while paying his dues. In this sense he's a little more developed/further on career path then Wojo.

- A guard oriented offense in Tulsa with a guy who had a reputation for developing big men at Kansas. Ability to change approach ? This is a little more subjective but if he can really help big guys we have a lot of offensively limited forwards who need to develop their outside shot. The Morris twins always spread the floor so maybe Manning can signifcantly help in that area.

- Recruiting freedom/ System building- Manning showed at Tulsa he's willing to take chances on high talent juccos who bring instant talent.( those risk sometimes go bad which happens) Manning should have no problem being incredibly blunt with our bloated 8 man junior class. One would also hope he can convince Mitchell to keep his commitment. Depending on his ability to free up scholarships it'll be interesting to see what recruiting choices he makes which will show how much freedom and leeway he is given to mold the program in his image.

POSITIVITY ( He wasn't hight on my list, but its looking increasingly like a foregone conclusion)

This is all fine, but he didn't recruit high talent JuCos. They were the equivalent of two and three start prospects, only with more red flags.

Raise tuition by $10k and give Shaka $5M. Nobody will notice that small of a tuition hike.

You could easily get an extra 2 million by cleaning up some of the bloat that obviously exists in the AD and more than that if you factor in the increased money from sales across the board.

You could easily get an extra 2 million by cleaning up some of the bloat that obviously exists in the AD and more than that if you factor in the increased money from sales across the board.

Firing Wellman and hiring a young/hungry AD would save a lot of cash.

If this thread charged $1 per view we would have 2 million as well.

What is the difference between manning at $1.8 and $2.0? Who cares? This search has been amateur hour and is embarrassing, but we do not want him to turn us down for fucking Tulsa. He has clear potential and is apparently the best we can get right now. He turns us down and we do some bs with an interim coach and we are done for a long time. At this point, really hope he chooses Wake.

What is the difference between manning at $1.8 and $2.0? Who cares? This search has been amateur hour and is embarrassing, but we do not want him to turn us down for fucking Tulsa. He has clear potential and is apparently the best we can get right now. He turns us down and we so some bs with an interim coach and we are done for a long time. At this point, really hope he chooses Wake.

200 grand.

I am starting to think this is not a terrible idea. Interim/Battle for year and let a search form or new AD conduct a proper search next year.

Yeah, this is the way I feel. Let Battle coach as the interim or if he doesn't want to let Childress coach. And then try again next year with a new AD. Paying DM $2 million is crazy.

Guys, I'm sure I am late on this but I don't want to go back through all the posts! Our plane is staying in Tulsa and then going down to Dallas which I would assume is taking Danny with him to fill his CBS Obligations these next two days and then bring him back to Winston!!

Back