• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Grandview or Long Creek would be the dog track. Neither exists anymore.

Pine Brook became Maple Chase CC about 8 years ago under new ownership.

There was an investment group that wanted to take over management of Reynolds Park from the city about 10 years ago. Their plan was to close for 9-12 months and do a massive renovation, but the city balked at it because the revenue from Reynolds Park subsidized Winston Lake. So they let the former owners of Grandview manage it instead.

I remember hearing that. We played Reynolds by far the most and always commented on how much potential it had. Fun track.

Maybe when I join a CC my feelings will change, but I just don't get down with the handicap stuff at all. I'm a scratch golfer when playing well, and I've played competitive golf since being about 12/13. I'll probably join a club in the next few years, but moved to Charlotte 3 years ago and I just go around playing public golf and play in the odd CGA tournament.

What do you mean by "I just don't get down with the handicap stuff at all"? You don't believe in them? Or you just don't worry about it? Or what? If you play in CGA events I assume you maintain a handicap... And, if you are a scratch golfer "when playing well" then you are a scratch golfer. That is how handicaps work and what most people don't understand about them.

My handicap moves between barely on the plus side up to 1-2 or so... A lot of the time I am embarrassed to tell people I am a scratch because then I go out and shoot 78 or something and I can feel them thinking "this guy is a scratch?". But that is the nature of the beast. Just often enough I'll shoot par or a little under and that is all it takes to keep your handicap down there. Especially since our course ratings are around 74 from the back tees - so literally all I have to do is shoot 73 or 74 a couple of times a month and I am a scratch or better...

Seems to be the theme in here. My dad taught me pretty early "you can always re-tee the ball and there will be other days when you can write down 5 instead of 6, but once you tarnish your reputation and integrity that can't be fixed"

Count me in for any outing within 60 miles of the 336

Haven't touched a club since October, but it's about that time again. I'd be down for this.

I remember hearing that. We played Reynolds by far the most and always commented on how much potential it had. Fun track.

I actually worked with them. They had Dunlop White on board to offer guidance on Perry Maxwell restorations. Still bummed they never did it.

What do you mean by "I just don't get down with the handicap stuff at all"? You don't believe in them? Or you just don't worry about it? Or what? If you play in CGA events I assume you maintain a handicap... And, if you are a scratch golfer "when playing well" then you are a scratch golfer. That is how handicaps work and what most people don't understand about them.

My handicap moves between barely on the plus side up to 1-2 or so... A lot of the time I am embarrassed to tell people I am a scratch because then I go out and shoot 78 or something and I can feel them thinking "this guy is a scratch?". But that is the nature of the beast. Just often enough I'll shoot par or a little under and that is all it takes to keep your handicap down there. Especially since our course ratings are around 74 from the back tees - so literally all I have to do is shoot 73 or 74 a couple of times a month and I am a scratch or better...

Yep, it's a wild system. My 3 rounds this year have been 85, 70, 77 and my handicap went down from a +2 to a +2.2. Bonkers.

If I really want to know if someone is a legit scratch I just look at their tournament and away scores. If about half of those hover around the course rating they are legit.

I know one guy who only posts scores from CGA and USGA events and carries about a +5.

Aren't clubs up where you are also stupid expensive? Like put a kid through college type expensive?

I moved from Winston to GSO about 1.5 years ago and miss the vibe from Maple Chase. I joined Cardinal out here and hated it. Couldn't find a decent game unless I wanted to play with the high stakes guys who would rotate over from Sedgefield a couple times a week. I don't mind the competition but when you're up against a 2 time USGA champion, or guys who are on the KFT it's going to get costly no matter how many shots you are getting. And anyone who has spent time as a plus handicap knows you aren't begging for shots off other plus handicaps. It's undignified lol.

This comment reminded me of one of my favorite golf quotes. Back when I was playing the the Golf Channel Am Tour there was this one dude who'd constantly talk about shooting under par. "Oh yeah that course I shot 66 from the tips, oh right I remember that other course I had 3 doubles but still hung on for 67" etc. But of course, come tournament time he generally lost and shot mid 70's. He wasn't awful by any means, but he was your typical "scratch" weekend warrior. Like me, essentially.

So at the end of the season a few years ago he finishes 2nd in our finals (we tied, actually). Our group of champ flight guys are grabbing drinks after - he says "well, I'm just warn out so I wasn't myself out there today because I've been preparing so hard to turn professional." We thought he was kidding but sure enough he "went pro" and started entering Canadian Tour qualifiers, Web.com Monday qualifiers (pre-Korn Ferry), even a PGA Monday qual. Like 2 months in he's hunting for "big money games" and gets the invite to a club here - the 3 guys he gets grouped with are like two +2's and a +3. This guy is technically listed as a +1 and asks on the first tee how many strokes he's getting from each. They're all looking at each other in silence, nobody answers him, he asks again. Nobody says a word, just exchanging funny looks like he's speaking Chinese. Clearly getting frustrated he asks what's going on. One of the guys finally looks at him and says, "There's no strokes on tour, bro." Then they beat him like a drum. So whenever someone is stroke-grubbing, particularly if they think they're good - multiple guys will shame them with a "no strokes on tour bro" to great effect.

And yeah, clubs here are nuts. Closest one to me now has an 8 year wait list, then 2 years as a new member (play once a week, only tues-thurs), and initiation is $115k. The mediocre club towards Vienna went from 1 year wait/$30k initiation to 5 years/$80k since COVID hit. Club Corp bought a bunch of the middle-tier clubs so they're essentially semi-private now, which made the true private clubs even higher in demand. The one saving grace is that there are a bunch of legitimately outstanding daily-fee courses nearby, but it's just a constant battle for tee times. I mostly play weekdays or lean on friends who have paid a little cash to some of the better public courses for early-access tee times. There are some affordable clubs much further out but I'm not going to join a course 45 minutes away from me unless it's RTJ.

Oak Hollow might be the only course of earth you couldn't pay me to play. I'm not sure I've stepped foot on that course since playing the Bud Kivett during my high school years.

A kid (well probably mid 20s now) that grew up and stills plays out of our club is on the Korn Ferry Tour now and still posts every one of his rounds - tournaments and all. Not sure why, given that he is a pro; though he plays with his dad and his group every once in a while, so maybe they make him. Looks like he's a +7.5 right now, with a low of +8.4

Oak Hollow might be the only course of earth you couldn't pay me to play. I'm not sure I've stepped foot on that course since playing the Bud Kivett during my high school years.

LOL. I played really well in that tournament the years I played it. Managed to not get shot at Blair Park and top 5'd it a few years. Atkins always won. Dude loved that place.

I haven't played it in years. Distance had already turned it largely into a pitch and putt 15 years ago. Gotta imagine it's way worse now.

Kinda shocked the CGA is going there for a Q for a tournament covering both states.

The one you can never get me to play ever again is the Reynolds Course at Tanglewood. Hated that fucking place.

I post my scores, but what I mean is I just prefer playing people straight up, for the most part. I don't enjoy giving strokes, or getting strokes. Grew up at a club (decent golf club in Winston Area, not a country club) and was exhausting hearing accusations around handicaps constantly.

Closest one to me now has an 8 year wait list, then 2 years as a new member (play once a week, only tues-thurs), and initiation is $115k. The mediocre club towards Vienna went from 1 year wait/$30k initiation to 5 years/$80k since COVID hit.

Sounds like Washington Golf - I wouldn’t be too happy about paying $115k for my home course to be 6300 yards from the tips.

I post my scores, but what I mean is I just prefer playing people straight up, for the most part. I don't enjoy giving strokes, or getting strokes. Grew up at a club (decent golf club in Winston Area, not a country club) and was exhausting hearing accusations around handicaps constantly.

I hear you - our usual game does not involve strokes... Guys with indices from +2 to 2 or 3...

LOL. I played really well in that tournament the years I played it. Managed to not get shot at Blair Park and top 5'd it a few years. Atkins always won. Dude loved that place.

I haven't played it in years. Distance had already turned it largely into a pitch and putt 15 years ago. Gotta imagine it's way worse now.

Kinda shocked the CGA is going there for a Q for a tournament covering both states.

Pretty sure the CGA is having a hard time finding clubs willing to host qualifiers (and tournaments) these days, the quality of courses for some qualifiers/tournaments has slipped a bit the past 3-4 years, and the increase in play since COVID has probably made it worse.

For example, last year the NC Mid-Am was at Keith Hills, this year it is at Cutter Creek...both fine courses, but it was at Carolina Country Club and Old Chatham in the last 10-12 years,

Last edited:
Yeah its been downhill for years.

At least Starmount is a proper course for the Carolinas Mid Am.

Back