• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Good Grief

According to a Facebook post by the Midway golf coach, Adam Capps, the player reported a score of 75 in the regional championship, but his actual score was a 76. The scorecard was signed by two players and the score was posted.
USGA rules say that any score returned lower than the actual score results in a player being disqualified. In addition, the rules say it is the player's responsibility to "carefully check the hole scores entered by the marker."

According to the USGA, "neither a player nor the committee has authority to apply penalties in a different way."

As a result of the incorrect score report, the player was declared ineligible for next week's state championship, according to Capps' Facebook post. The player's ineligibility led to the team not qualifying for the state championship because it takes three players from a single school to qualify as a team. However, the other two players did qualify as individual golfers for the state championship.

Last edited:
"Senator asks NCHSAA to disregard buzzer going off while ball was still in shooters hands"

Rules are rules.

pixar.jpg
The claw is great!

It eliminates major pushes / pulls with short putts. Now if I miss a short putt it is solely due to a poor read.

Whenever I think I have a shot at holing a putt (<30ft) I’m using it - Speed control will come with time / practice.

Yeah I was on the fence after practicing with it for a while - but then had a couple rounds where it started clicking, converted a ton of putts. For me the key was messing with how I aligned my fingers on the right-hand grip until it clicked alignment-wise. Definitely getting it dialed in now though, the consistency is the thing that has me hooked.

I sometimes go with claw just for practice. It's a great way to work on avoiding lifting the putter up and coming in too steep.

I just switched to a mallet style putter after putting with blades for my whole life. So far so good. I have used a Scotty Circa 62 Model 6 for at least 10-15 years but just haven't been making anything and have lost confidence... I found an older Spyder in the used section at Golf Galaxy and it has been behaving well. It feels really easy to line up and keep on line, especially noticeable on 4-6 footers...

I was messing around in my storage room where I keep innumerable old clubs yesterday. I found my old Bullseye that I used and competed with for many years. I can't believe I could putt with that thing. And I still and have almost always played with blade irons. But damn that putter felt so different than it used to feel in my hands.

I was messing around in my storage room where I keep innumerable old clubs yesterday. I found my old Bullseye that I used and competed with for many years. I can't believe I could putt with that thing. And I still and have almost always played with blade irons. But damn that putter felt so different than it used to feel in my hands.
Yea, I used an old Ping Anser from when I was 12 to when I was like 45 - I don't think I could putt with that thing now to save my life...

I just went back to my Scotty Futura X. It's really easy to keep online with short putts. I've decided to have no shame in the fact my putter looks like a satellite dish.

I have this crazy David Musty putter that is hand crafted from wood. My dad won it at a charity auction about a decade ago, and before he could donate it to First Tee I swiped it and donated my old STX instead. Once I put a PP60 grip on it I started nailing putts. It has amazing weight but not the most ideal feel or alignment situation, I just can't justify going out and spending a few hundred bucks on a new putter.

Like others, I went back to the two-ball triple track after running a SC studio design 2.5 for a few years to aid with shorter putts. I think I made more outside of 8 feet with the SC but my short putts were struggling.

Good Grief

A little clarity here:
the Midway H.S. kid shot a 76, and that's the score his partner showed on the card and they both signed off on and turned in for individual/team scoring. It was only later after all scores were posted and the tournament standings concluded that the Midway player noted in going over his card that his partner had credited him with a 4 on a hole instead of a 5, which would have meant that his 18 hole card added up to a 75, again even though the correct total score of 76 was signed for and turned in. The Midway kid then decides to tell the tournament officials of the error on the one hole so it can be changed to a 5 to reflect the correctly-posted total score of 76. Had he not gone back over his card and self-reported the thing almost assuredly it would never have come to light.
Since the correct score of 76 had already been posted I could see a case for allowing that score to stand, but I 100% understand the rules of golf and why that presumably is not allowed at any level of golf or in any competitive situation. But again just to clarify: the kid was not trying either intentionally or unintentionally to post a lower score, and in aggregate he did not. I'm sure in his mind, and with his low handicap level of play, he mentally keeps score in in relation to par and not total strokes, i.e. "I was 4 over for the round = 76". Understandable mistake that he'll surely not make again.
As for the senator, I don't think he understands the rules of golf and/or the self-reporting integrity built in to it. Better to praise the kid for doing the right thing, than to question the "fairness" of it.

Back