• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Syracuse - Wake game thread (Foot of snow)

First time in a long time I'm legitimately excited to watch a road game (as opposed to "cautiously" excited or disinterested).

Pos vibes for everyone.

Lets continue to grow as a team and knock down free throws. Need Collins to get a couple of their bigs in foul trouble and not the other way around.

Deacs win this one 77-73

Time to get CREAMY!

As usual, Pilchard sums it up well: "Kind of a tough spot for WF. Always tough to win back to back road games, and Cuse has played its best basketball at home in ACC play. Just cannot predict consecutive WF road wins after losing 34 straight..." This is also the kind of game that a historically winning program, and a hall-of-fame coach like Boeheim, will win more often than they lose.

Under the circumstances, a Deacon victory is a very big ask. I'll be just as interested in how we play, as whether we win or lose. If we execute our game plan, limit our mistakes, and show some grit, I can live with a close loss. If we get rattled, make silly mistakes, and blow another lead down the stretch, it will add to the evidence that this team isn't going anywhere. Hope we can at least show that we're beginning to grasp what it takes to be a post-season team.

IMO, the lowest point (and there were many low points) of WF basketball last year was Syracuse's bitch-slapping of WF at home 83-55 on January 16.

WF had started the season playing unexpectedly well in OOC games, hung with L'ville, lost to Duke, beat State, and lost by 2 at VT. Deacs needed to win the Cuse game to prove that WF has as good as it appeared in OOC games.

Cuse had been reeling was 1-4 heading into Winston. WF has actually favored, but the Orange dominated WF from the outset (Cuse was up 30-11 in the first 10 minutes). The Deacs never recovered, losing its next 9 ACC games. That game has got to be a motivating factor for Crawford, Collins, Dinos et al.

Last edited:
no surprise that Mitch scores so few points per attempt from close range. It seems like it gets swatted every time.

The perimeter players need to make shots tonight. This is as good a compliment of shooters as we've had in a long time. If 2 or 3 of them shoot well, I like our chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't looked forward to a game this much since the Kentucky 6 years ago. Hope is starting to build, that is obviously probably a bad thing.

Not sure if anyone would find this interesting, but I'll throw it out there, data for our ACC games so far (any play listed as a layup or dunk is in the 1ft category):

x60ba9.jpg

Couple things stand out, Wilbekin keep shooting 3s, don't dribble past the line. Also, as everyone is clearly aware, John Collins very good.

We haven't been great 12-16 feet, so hopefully that can change tonight attacking the zone.

This chart deserves its own thread. Thanks.

Have you considered splitting up 2-6 between 1 and 7-11? We had as many attempts from 2-6 ft as we have past 26 feet and we made 7 of 10 of them.

You could also change the presentation by using one vertical line for each player. The length would be shot distance. The width would be shot attempts. Color would be expected points. Collins would be a long V shape.

Haven't looked forward to a game this much since the Kentucky 6 years ago. Hope is starting to build, that is obviously probably a bad thing.

Are you referring to the tournament game? I absolutely did NOT look forward to that game - everyone and their mother knew we would be run out of the gym.

I don't think we'll win tonight, so I'd love to see us at least continue the momentum from the last five halves and not let a mistake or two turn into an avalanche of turds.

I looked forward to the Syracuse game the last year of the disaster coach. We, of course, lost

Are you referring to the tournament game? I absolutely did NOT look forward to that game - everyone and their mother knew we would be run out of the gym.

I don't think we'll win tonight, so I'd love to see us at least continue the momentum from the last five halves and not let a mistake or two turn into an avalanche of turds.

We have only been blown out in really one game this year, and that was Nova. In all the other games we have managed to keep it close for a good bit of the game (UNC obviously the opposite of UVA/FSU).

I expect us to be in it at the end worst case.

Not sure where jaybone's getting a foot, looks like at most it was 6 inches. Gaybone post in 3, 2, 1...

Also, Syracuse is kinda used to snow

Weather report this morning. I got 3 inches of sleet last night when we were essentially expecting none 90 minutes north of manhattan so perhaps everyone was recalibrating their numbers based on expected numbers last night?

I expect us to be in it at the end worst case.

I would kill to see us overcome, say, an 8 point deficit with 5 minutes to play and win the game. Not that I'm being picky. I'd gladly take watching us blow a 10 point lead in the final 5 mins only to win by 1, if I had to ;)

My biggest fear is our shooters not hitting in the Carrier Dome combined with looking ahead to Duke results in a beat down.

Last edited:
Trevor Cooney is finally no longer on the team. Felt like he was at Cuse for 10 years.

Most important stat tonight is going to be free throws. We are in the top 20 in the nation in free throw % with 76.8% and Syracuse shoots below 70%. Wake wins this game 79-71.

Last edited:

I think we win tonight. Yeah, I always look forward to NCAA games, and hold a little hope out. We got run out of the gym, but that team had enough talent to pull off an upset. The Texas game in the first round was an amazing game as well.

This chart deserves its own thread. Thanks.

Have you considered splitting up 2-6 between 1 and 7-11? We had as many attempts from 2-6 ft as we have past 26 feet and we made 7 of 10 of them.

You could also change the presentation by using one vertical line for each player. The length would be shot distance. The width would be shot attempts. Color would be expected points. Collins would be a long V shape.

Thanks for the thoughts, it is a little odd to have 1/2 the people shooting perfectly from one of the ranges. I had just binned them as at the rim (dunks and layups), and then increments of 5 lined up with the 3 point shot break at 22. I was planning to paste in new data as the games finish, so I'll look into the binning and the presentation style you suggested on the next iteration.

I have a feeling Dinos gets hot from deep tonight or Saturday. He's due. He's only hit 4 threes since the LSU game.

Huge game tonight. Win tonight and I think we'll be a legit tourney team this year. Good barometer for how serious we should take the squad this year.

Back