• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Moviepass is pissing me off. They missed a payment of some sort (around $5-6M is the word) and now their service is down. Seriously putting a crimp in my MI:F plans.

Moviepass is pissing me off. They missed a payment of some sort (around $5-6M is the word) and now their service is down. Seriously putting a crimp in my MI:F plans.
Moviepass will be dead by Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving looks like the 99.9% interval for the end of MoviePass.

This is bleak: https://www.wsj.com/articles/moviepass-parent-gets-high-cost-loan-as-service-faces-outage-1532717097

I predict Labor Day to be the end of times for them.
Movie Pass blew a ton of money bankrolling two movies that were absolute bombs, one was "Gotti" starring John Travolta which still has a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes after 2 months. An major film release having a zero RT score is impressive.

Thanksgiving looks like the 99.9% interval for the end of MoviePass.

This is bleak: https://www.wsj.com/articles/moviepass-parent-gets-high-cost-loan-as-service-faces-outage-1532717097

I predict Labor Day to be the end of times for them.

#sadyoungbuck. I hopped on pretty late (end of March) and have seen 18 movies since I got it. I think I would’ve paid for 5 or 6 of the movies and would have waited to see reviews before going. It’s definitely all saved me money as I’ve only paid $50 so far for MoviePass and a ticket where I am is $11.56.

Has anybody seen Three Identical Strangers?

Just watched the Giuseppe Tornatore, Geoffrey Rush film "The Best Offer". Blew me away. Though a bit predictable, it was haunting and beautiful and the music and visuals were gorgeous. Idk shit about cinematography, but i really enjoyed this. It's slow but ultimately worth it, if you like that kind of thing. Available on Netflix.

It’s like MoviePass thought the industry would just let them disrupt it.

Uber provided a competitor and still faces plenty of resistance.

MoviePass is trying to be like Netflix. Netflix helped the existing system for years before disrupting it. Same with Amazon.

Uber is still losing money. IMO, moviepass went too extreme and way overestimated how much money they could lose. I remember researching Moviepass 7 or 8 years ago and it was like 50 bucks a month or something for 10 movies, and it was only available in a few cities. The next time I hear about it, its 10 bucks for unlimited nationwide. The idea of a subscription service is sound, but they never found a sweet spot in pricing to grow the subscriber base in a sustainable way.

My idea of an attractive and reasonable subscription model:

$9.00/month for 5 movie tickets
$14.00/month for 10 tickets
$20.00/ for 16 tickets
$25.00/ for 12 ticket family plan, limit of 4 tickets per single movie

$4 add-on for IMAX/3D

Last edited:
And I realize that my plan would still involves a profit loss, the point is to have sustainable rate of loss.

That’s very ridiculous. I can’t see how this would work if it’s not offered by the theater or with their approval so they can pocket the concession cash. A third party just can’t consistently make money off this unless they offer a minor discount.

I recently learned of Sinemia, which looks reasonable at first glance from both the perspective of consumer value and company sustainability:

6606109482418176.png

Uber is still losing money. IMO, moviepass went too extreme and way overestimated how much money they could lose. I remember researching Moviepass 7 or 8 years ago and it was like 50 bucks a month or something for 10 movies, and it was only available in a few cities. The next time I hear about it, its 10 bucks for unlimited nationwide. The idea of a subscription service is sound, but they never found a sweet spot in pricing to grow the subscriber base in a sustainable way.

My idea of an attractive and reasonable subscription model:

$9.00/month for 5 movie tickets
$14.00/month for 10 tickets
$20.00/ for 16 tickets
$25.00/ for 12 ticket family plan, limit of 4 tickets per single movie

$4 add-on for IMAX/3D

AMC's A List would be my go to if I had any AMCs around me. $19.95/month. 3 movies/week. No blackouts or surge pricing. Can see all 3 movies in the same day, can rewatch the movies, too. But the big kicker (for me at least) is that you can see IMAX, 3D, Dolby Cinema without paying extra.

That’s very ridiculous. I can’t see how this would work if it’s not offered by the theater or with their approval so they can pocket the concession cash. A third party just can’t consistently make money off this unless they offer a minor discount.
Common sense would tell you that, yeah, but that's not how modern tech "disrupter" innovation works. These companies lose money for years until they find a way to make money. As I said, Uber has never, EVER been profitable, but it's ubiquitous. Spotify has never been profitable, but it's ubiquitous.

Back