• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Creed's opponents were actual boxers rather than actors. That's a big factor in real looking fight scenes. Bellew actually landed that big knockdown right hook in the Conlon fight and KOd Jordan

Finally saw The Martian. Watched in on a flight. I loved it. Only complaint is the end was an abrupt jump. Wish they would've shown coming home or something along those lines.

Finally saw The Martian. Watched in on a flight. I loved it. Only complaint is the end was an abrupt jump. Wish they would've shown coming home or something along those lines.

The book ends even more abruptly if I remember correctly. I don't think they even mention him being back on earth, let alone teaching courses. Pretty sure the book ends with him getting onto the space station, then a half-assed attempt to establish a theme of how even though people are assholes, they can always come together to accomplish common goals. Very strange ending to an otherwise really good book.

Last edited:
The book ends even more abruptly if I remember correctly. I don't think they even mention him being back on earth, let alone teaching courses. Pretty sure the book ends with him getting onto the space station, then a half-assed attempt to establish a theme of how even though people are assholes, they can always come together to accomplish common goals. Very strange ending to an otherwise really good book.

yeah in the book he basically gets on board the Hermes and they're like dude you need a shower. and scene.

10 Cloverfield Lane - goooood stuff. I have some minor complaints but I thought they got a lot of activity for such a cramped space.

Fun fact - the lead actress is from Rocky Mount.

Thought 10 Cloverfield was great... until the last 15/20 minutes. Turned a great movie into just a good one.

Thought 10 Cloverfield was great... until the last 15/20 minutes. Turned a great movie into just a good one.

This is my take. No plot details in the spoiler tag below, but I'll hide it anyway since it is a film best enjoyed with a blank slate.

,"The movie went from a very tense, paranoid thriller to standard genre fare, that was a bummer. For me it went from great to very good."

This is my take. No plot details in the spoiler tag below, but I'll hide it anyway since it is a film best enjoyed with a blank slate.

,"The movie went from a very tense, paranoid thriller to standard genre fare, that was a bummer. For me it went from great to very good."

My rambling thoughts, in general and on the final act (actual plot details below):

XDsmAyG.jpg

The final act could have been executed better, but I loved that it was there because it tied the two movies together, although in a very ambiguous way. The first one came out in 2008 and this one clearly takes place closer to the present day (she has what looks to be an iPhone 4 or 5). However, I think it's very possible that the two movies take place contemporaneously in their own universe, given that the first one established in its final shot that the monster fell to earth from space, the monster(s) in the second share some physical similarities to the first, and Howard's references to different stages of an attack. So maybe these two movies and any future ones may be all about pieces from the same event? It's also possible that this one is meant to be a completely stand-alone installment (and it definitely works as such), but it doesn't make much sense to slap the Cloverfield name on it and completely change the film style (away from found footage) if they weren't connected.

I guess all I'm saying is that I loved the ambiguity and that it generated this discussion with the people I saw it with last night.

My biggest complaint was the shitty CGI in the final act.

Last edited:
Agreed. Can anyone explain the damn near film ruining scene with the 4-wheelers though? It is my only problem with that movie.

I'm not sure but when Dion Waiters' brother was killed in Philly this week he tweeted a photo of his brother with his dirt bike so maybe it's a Philly thing now.

Are they driving through the streets? That's a big thing in DC with dirt bikes and 4-wheelers with them going fast through the streets and running red lights. They aren't street legal here and they are breaking a lot of laws but the cops never chase.

The online marketing for 10 Cloverfield (or ARG as it's called) is pretty damn cool and fills in a couple of gaps from the movie.

There's a reddit thread dedicated to it, and also this:

http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com/

Also, and since this is about the prior Cloverfield movie and not the current one, no spoiler tags, the explanation I've seen is that the monster came from undersea and was awakened from some combination of the Tagruatu company's offshore drilling and the satellite that crashed at the end of the movie, so it was a satellite, not the monster that we saw splash down.

Are they driving through the streets? That's a big thing in DC with dirt bikes and 4-wheelers with them going fast through the streets and running red lights. They aren't street legal here and they are breaking a lot of laws but the cops never chase.

They roll down my street all the time

Rewatched Misery for the first time in forever.

The movie has aged very well.

Richard Farnsworth's Buster proved to be a very influential character archetype

10 Cloverfield Lane was really good.

I actually thought the last 15-20 minutes were necessary for the film. It didn't look great FX wise because of the relatively low budget but I thought it was important that Goodman's character was actually pretty much exactly right on all his conspiracy theories because it still didn't excuse anything he did. If it turned out that everything was okay outside, it's just like Goodman was Kathy Bates from Misery. This was like a critique of exchanging freedom for security.

Back