• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

Result we needed, but not convinced we have a #9 that can cut it

Huge hole ther for certain. Everyone excited to qualify which should be expected, but for such a talented team to tie for 3rd in concacaf needing gd to advance is reflective of Gregg’s poor coaching and not creative at all.

It's not like we're winning the World Cup either way. Just want to get out of group play.

Official US Soccer / World Cup 22 Thread (Put the champagne on ice)

we just scored 5 a few nights ago, right?

fucking hell. so reactionary.

Yep when we went for smash and grab, lost the possession battle 60-40. It’s how we play best.

Yep when we went for smash and grab, lost the possession battle 60-40. It’s how we play best.

Please don't let me stop you from stopping any joy entering your sports world.

Super smart to use CONCACAF qualifying and extrapolate that to World Cup play. Have at it!

It's certainly been true that we've struggled to generate chances against teams that won't come at us outside of qualifying as well

No matter what everyone said, trying our hardest to win tonight would have been moronic. We created chances, but almost all of them were chances with a bit of holding back. Why? We needed to not lose 6-0 to qualify for the World Cup, the literal point of World Cup Qualifying.

Like him or not, Greg is not an idiot. There's no way you go balls to the wall to win tonight. So judging this result as if we didn't effectively start the game with a 6-0 lead is silly.

I'm not saying we are going to win the World Cup. Not even close to even suggesting that wild dream.

HOWEVA! This is the most naturally talented USMNT that I've ever seen us have and it isn't really close. I'm not sold on GB at all, in fact, I think he is a dunce. But whatever. I've thought previous World Cup/Euro winning managers are dunces as well (Luiz Felipe Scolari, Fernando Santos). And I don't think the US is going to win the World Cup. QF/SF seems to be our real limit.

But let's look at our squad...starting at the most important part - the midfield. Adams, McKennie, Musah. That is a fantastic 3. Italy would take that 3, for example. Those are some REALLY good players. So let's step back. WZ and MR as CBs. WZ is class. MR makes mistakes but has the pace to recover, reminds me of a less polished John Stones. WZ is a poor man's Vidic.

So that 5 alone gives us a chance in any match.

Then we got talented attackers like Pulisic, Weah, and Reyna as options to create chances up front.

I don't think we have the answer at 9 yet. But we have talent. More talent than I've ever seen the US have pretty much ever.

No matter what everyone said, trying our hardest to win tonight would have been moronic. We created chances, but almost all of them were chances with a bit of holding back. Why? We needed to not lose 6-0 to qualify for the World Cup, the literal point of World Cup Qualifying.

Like him or not, Greg is not an idiot. There's no way you go balls to the wall to win tonight. So judging this result as if we didn't effectively start the game with a 6-0 lead is silly.

oh hi, voice of reason

and i dont like greg

Did anyone stick around for the talking heads afterward?

They were ALL talking over each other, answering 5 different questions with the exact same answer, repeating their "this is how I see it" responses, not letting the host ask any questions. Just shitty...but I guess that's what you get when it's former players and not practiced analysts.

Back