• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official WFU-ND Game Thread

Didn't see the game. Followed stats. Somebody tell me that Travis played with the flu and pneumonia.

Mckie: 1-5, 4 points and 2 rebounds measured against Overton 3-4,8 points and 1 assist and Roundtree 3 points and a rebound.

Pitt is a bad matchup for Wake. Wake isn't going to fare well with physical teams and Pitt is one of the most physical teams in the country.

I think we hang tough for a half and lose by 8-12 depending on free throws.

This, I don't think we're tough enough to fare well with Pitt.

No, summarize Bilas and McDonough's commments.

They went on the tangent about how Bzz was brought in to cleanup the program and has done so. Noted how that takes time and now he has his pieces in place & they are all young, shouldn't he get a couple years to see what happens w/ them? They noted how win total has increased each year. Weirdly Bilas noted how the Gaudio firing caught everyone off guard, but somehow in the same breath makes it look like he left Bzz a team full of convicts. That still puzzles me to this day as the bad seeds are as follows:

Ty Walker: Guess what you kept letting him back on the team Bzz & he graduated from Wake. No cleanup there.
Tony Woods: He had his baby Mama incident that insiders say was blown out of proportion, but nevertheless he left on his own accord & not b/c Bzz is cleaning house
JTT: Bzz got hired & went to his house & convinced him to still come to Wake Forest. Actually the exact opposite of cleaning house
Tabb: Same exact situation as above. You didn't have to re-recruit him if he was a "problem child".
Ari: This is the only actual case of Bzz doing what he could to run him out of the program and clean up things.

The reassuring thing is that both Jay & Sean said that the vibe is that he will not be coaching at Wake any longer, so it would be a ballsy move by RW to opt to extend this dead man walking.

Basically they said Gaudio = Valvano and used them in the same sentence/thought.

They went on the tangent about how Bzz was brought in to cleanup the program and has done so. Noted how that takes time and now he has his pieces in place & they are all young, shouldn't he get a couple years to see what happens w/ them? They noted how win total has increased each year. Weirdly Bilas noted how the Gaudio firing caught everyone off guard, but somehow in the same breath makes it look like he left Bzz a team full of convicts. That still puzzles me to this day as the bad seeds are as follows:

Ty Walker: Guess what you kept letting him back on the team Bzz & he graduated from Wake. No cleanup there.
Tony Woods: He had his baby Mama incident that insiders say was blown out of proportion, but nevertheless he left on his own accord & not b/c Bzz is cleaning house
JTT: Bzz got hired & went to his house & convinced him to still come to Wake Forest. Actually the exact opposite of cleaning house
Tabb: Same exact situation as above. You didn't have to re-recruit him if he was a "problem child".
Ari: This is the only actual case of Bzz doing what he could to run him out of the program and clean up things.

The reassuring thing is that both Jay & Sean said that the vibe is that he will not be coaching at Wake any longer, so it would be a ballsy move by RW to opt to extend this dead man walking.

Travis showed no desire whatsoever to grab a defensive rebound (which should be his STRONG suit as a big SF). If he actually boxes out and goes after defensive boards...we win another 2-3 games earlier this year.

Didn't see the game. Followed stats. Somebody tell me that Travis played with the flu and pneumonia.

Mckie: 1-5, 4 points and 2 rebounds measured against Overton 3-4,8 points and 1 assist and Roundtree 3 points and a rebound.

They did talk about how it was a strange pairing from the beginning, that Bz has a quirky personality and that plenty of people questioned firing Dino at the time.

They did talk about how it was a strange pairing from the beginning, that Bz has a quirky personality and that plenty of people questioned firing Dino at the time.

That's not even accurate. Dino took a ton of heat for losing by 21 to 4-12 Miami in the 5/12 game. Firing Dino was considered a bold move by Wellman and lauded by many in the press until he hired [Redacted]. Wellman was applauded for firing a guy with weak performances in Feb/March until he hired a guy who was far worse in Feb/March.

That's not even accurate. Dino took a ton of heat for losing by 21 to 4-12 Miami in the 5/12 game. Firing Dino was considered a bold move by Wellman and lauded by many in the press until he hired [Redacted]. Wellman was applauded for firing a guy with weak performances in Feb/March until he hired a guy who was far worse in Feb/March.

Ph is right on this one. Some people questioned the move, but a lot just considered it a bold move.

I would say fans were more excited about it than media. A lot of media thought it was an unjust firing. I remember seeing 61-31 quoted a lot.

Yeah, this. The media had a "you'd better hire a winner" attitude about it, but they were pretty easy on both Dino and Wellman given the Prosser tragedy looming so largely over the program.

Arizona State two years ago

Iona last year

Tennessee this year

Refer to those games to get an idea of how we will perform tomorrow. Buzz ball doesn't do well on back to back days.

'no rebounds, no rings'

This is an expression the Miami Heat had. Did you know that Jeff [Redacted] previously coached the Heat? Well, he wasn't the HC, he was an assistant and scout with the Heat. Oh, and he last was with the Heat 13 years ago. But he will tell you at every opportunity -- this is what we did/said when I was with the MIAMI HEAT.

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2014/3...-acc-tournament-streak-beats-notre-dame-81-69

Fuck y'all. Deacs win. Awesome.

Who gives a Fuck about bzz? If we win, we win.

241.gif

"You know, we have an extremely young team with the exception of these two young
men to my left here. We have nine players that are scholarship players that are freshmen and sophomores. And it’s
something that we’ve focused in on all year long, dealing with adversity throughout the course of the game, knowing
that it’s a heavyweight fight and you’re going to get hit throughout the course of that fight, and how you respond
ultimately determines your destiny.
I’m really proud of our basketball team. You go back to when we beat Duke a couple weeks ago well, ten
days ago, we were down, and we just came back"

http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-baskbl/mbb14quotes1.pdf

Prior to the NCAAT, some in the press were pointing out how badly Dino had fared in the post season and seriously questioning his coaching abilities. After he beat Texas on Ish's runner and lost to KY they press switched to 'how can you fire a guy that's 61-31'.

I think a good size faction of the Wake fan base said it was a bold move, I think most of the media questioned it.

Do ESPN commentators understand that when they say [Redacted] was brought in to clean up a mess that they're specifically saying that their colleague Dino Gaudio left a mess?

I really don't think they make that connection.

I know it really shouldn't bend me out of shape like it does, but can someone who uses the twitter please let Bilas know this exact point? And maybe add that everything they said that was sympathetic to [Redacted] is a complete crock of shit.

Almost ruined the win for me.

Well, that and I lost money betting on the Irish.

This has much of the content but not the sequence.

- Bilas started out by saying it probably doesn't matter what happens in the ACCT unless Wake wins the whole thing.
- Further references the morning news paper questioning if he will be back
- They talk a little more about the situation
- a little pause in the conversation
- Sean asks Bilas if Bzz was brought in to clean up the program and is it fair to not give him more time, why shouldn't he be given a couple more years
- Bilas backtracks and compares Buzz' situation to Les Robinson's situation to the mess Valvano left (did Bilas really say that as ESPN has elevated Valvano to god status), so Dino not directly compared to Valavano.

So the entire conversation when from the first frank 'on air' discussion of Bzz' situation to he's probably getting a bad deal and should get more time.

I know this is not true, but it almost seemed like Bilas realized what he had just said and thought 'wait I can't just toss this guy under the bus' and started backtracking. My more cynical self says coach kaye texted him and told him to stop running down Bzz so he'd be around for a few more years.

Back