• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Officially Gasparilla Bowl Thread - Wake Forest vs. The University of Misery

just some guy, but something to keep an eye on?

One would think at some point soon all of these otherwise meaningless bowl games would have their own NIL pot to pay the players to incentivize them to not opt out of their game. And if they can't turn a profit while doing that, maybe it is a reinforcement that they are meaningless and nobody cares. Or, maybe because they are meaningless bowl games, they really don't care what players are playing so long as the teams as a whole show up. But at the end of the day, from a fan perspective one of the positives of NIL is it should allow the bowls to directly pay the players to minimize the opt outs.

As long as the games happen the bowls don't give a fuck. Their customers are not locals paying for tickets, their customer is ESPN and ESPN needs to fill time slots and sell ads.

Some quotes from Clawson today re: Hartman and bowl game, NFL or transfer. Prob covered in other threads but figured I'd link to LES and the story here as well since it has some major bowl implications. Worth noting a few of our portal guys have said they're playing in bowl.

“Sam has certainly told us that he’s planning on playing in the game,” Clawson said about the Gasparilla Bowl. “I’d love to see him break the ACC touchdown pass record. Sam is going to finish what he started. I think his intention right now is to prepare and try to go to the NFL Draft.”

“But the way this name, image and likeness market is working, in some cases with guys with eligibility left, they might have an opportunity to make more money by going to another school for a year then by going to the NFL,” Clawson explained. “In that case, we couldn’t fault them. Whatever decision Sam makes, we support him. I think right now his intention is to go to the NFL, but when the bowl game is over, if there is some incredible offer for him to go to another school and get life-changing money, how could we fault him for that. It’s a good problem to have. He’s going to have many good options.”

Mizzou's leading receiver and only first team all-SEC offensive player Dominic Lovett entered the transfer portal. Would assume that means he's not playing against WF. He's already been offered by Tennessee, LSU and Colorado among others.

Playing against the SEC is of the utmost importance.

Hey man, I’m just affirming what an ACC football coach who makes $4 million a year says.

Mizzou's leading receiver and only first team all-SEC offensive player Dominic Lovett entered the transfer portal. Would assume that means he's not playing against WF. He's already been offered by Tennessee, LSU and Colorado among others.

Maybe he should consider … Wide Receiver U, in sunny Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

We don’t need any receivers. Greene. Banks. Grimes. Morin. Williams. Incoming freshmen. Redshirt freshmen. Hold onto them.

I'm surprised. Mizzou had a much harder schedule, should have beaten Georgia, and has more quality wins. Considering how we ended the year, especially on defense, I have no idea what Vegas is seeing that I'm not.
Lost to Vanderbilt

I really don’t care who plays for Mizzou. They can borrow cheerleaders to field a team for all I care. In a couple of years nobody will remember who transferred or sat out. All they will see is a bowl trophy. Just like last year. (TAMU who?) That Gator Bowl trophy is damn sexy when it comes to recruiting. Another trophy in the collection only helps.

I'm surprised. Mizzou had a much harder schedule, should have beaten Georgia, and has more quality wins. Considering how we ended the year, especially on defense, I have no idea what Vegas is seeing that I'm not.

Opt outs and transfer portal entrants mean that the defense Mizzou runs out in Tampa will look very different from the one they had in the regular season. I'm trying to be optimistic as a Mizzou fan but I just don't know if our offense can score enough in the Gasparilla Bowl to offset the defense being less than stellar.

Wake Forest is an interesting opponent for us at least. I prefer playing you all to some of the AAC teams that were mentioned in connection with the Gasparilla and Birmingham bowls

Back