• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Officially Gasparilla Bowl Thread - Wake Forest vs. The University of Misery

Opt outs and transfer portal entrants mean that the defense Wake runs out in Tampa will look very different from the one they had in the regular season. I'm trying to be optimistic as a Wake fan but I just don't know if our offense can score enough in the Gasparilla Bowl to offset the defense being less than stellar.

Missouri is an interesting opponent for us at least. I prefer playing you all to some of the AAC teams that were mentioned in connection with the Gasparilla and Birmingham bowls

Wake is favored because even with losses down the stretch our metrics are better than Missouri. We would have been favored against basically any opponent we were mentioned against from the AAC/Missouri other than Cincy who is essentially a tossup. We would have been a touchdown favorite over ECU and almost two touchdown favorites over Coastal.

Wake is favored because even with losses down the stretch our metrics are better than Missouri. We would have been favored against basically any opponent we were mentioned against from the AAC/Missouri other than Cincy who is essentially a tossup. We would have been a touchdown favorite over ECU and almost two touchdown favorites over Coastal.

If both teams were at full strength in Tampa, I think Wake would still be the favorite.

I realize that Wake will have players out as well so I am not trying to make an excuse for whatever might happen down there. I think it is generally a bad omen for your chances when in the bowl announcement press conference your head coach mentions that they are trying to get an NCAA waiver to allow a couple of true freshman safeties to play and keep their redshirt. It will certainly be denied but I watched us get beaten by Army in the passing game on the last drive of our bowl game last year because we had multiple walk ons playing in the secondary. I greatly fear what a replay of that could look like against the high level passing attack that Wake has.

The only time I really watched Mizzou this year was their game at Tennessee. For the first three quarters, they looked really damn good. Drinkwitz runs a lot of quick hitting misdirection and they had the Tennessee defense tied in knots. Given our lack of speed at linebacker and general troubles in the secondary, it could be a very long day for the Deacons.

Back