• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ohio State Somali Knife Wielder Confirmed To Be Terrorist

We make so many policy decisions based of one time events or low probability events it's mind boggling stupid. I look forward to the knee jerk responses to each and every adverse event from our new president.

3 months ago when the police officers in Dallas were killed, the sky was falling and we were headed towards a race war. Now when a bigot is elected president, the alt-right starts chanting "Heil Trump", and Trump is filling his cabinet with the likes of Steve Bannon and Jeff Sessions, it's just "sensationalized". Nothing to see here folks, politics as usual, you're just mad that you lost.

No. No its not. Black folks don't ever have a reason to be frustrated with a) white people b) the police or c) how the country treats them. There is no evidence that black folks have ever been treated unfairly or maliciously by any of those groups, so they need to shut up.

There is never a good time to talk about prejudice of any kind, unless we want to discuss how the mean old democrats look down their noses at anybody who doesn't populate one of their ivory towers. Then we can go fucking nuts.

It goes both ways, TD. I never disputed that. Although, I don't see you jumping to the aid of the media when it isn't convenient for your narrative.

I think it's a lot harder for the victims and their families, but as someone who cares about the future of our country, it certainly bothers me.

If the alternative is ignoring the prejudices, is that better for the future of the country? Apparently that's what 305 electors think...according to jhmd.

If the alternative is ignoring the prejudices, is that better for the future of the country? Apparently that's what 305 electors think...according to jhmd.

Perhaps you could confine your incessant kvetching about how the system is unfair to certain people to---oh, I don't know---threads (here, and issues IRL) about those people? Just a thought.

Perhaps you could confine your incessant kvetching about how the system is unfair to certain people to---oh, I don't know---threads (here, and issues IRL) about those people? Just a thought.

Ha!

I will if you only talk about "illegitimacy" in a thread about "illegitimacy."

Deal?

Problem is, we get to talking about how certain things affect certain other things in all KINDS of threads. We end up talking about lots of topics. Some seem to be taboo for certain folks.

Haven't you been lecturing us for like a month now about how this election was about democrats ignoring that the system has been unfair to the white working class in the rust belt and rural areas?

There is never a good time to talk about prejudice of any kind, unless we want to discuss how the mean old democrats look down their noses at anybody who doesn't populate one of their ivory towers. Then we can go fucking nuts.

Do you feel like racism and prejudice hadn't been given any air time ?

I think there's a fine line that no one seems to be able to grasp, myself included.

A good starting point would be unbiased, journalistic integrity. Most main media outlets neglect this line of thinking, and the pawns(american people) just leech onto any talking points that fit their narrative.

Haven't you been lecturing us for like a month now about how this election was about democrats ignoring that the system has been unfair to the white working class in the rust belt and rural areas?

No. It's not been a month yet. I've probably got six months in me before I get bored, so you may want to pack a lunch.

Your persecution with #realnews notwithstanding, there's quite a gulf between "You guys may want to knock off the incessant white privilege talk, you've been tuned out for years now and are the last to know" in the wake of an election that told you that, and "This reminds me of the time (on stimuli unknown) of the time that Dylan Roof tragically wasn't shot on sight." The second one sounds like the musings of a person suffering from Tourette's.

I think there's a fine line that no one seems to be able to grasp, myself included.

A good starting point would be unbiased, journalistic integrity. Most main media outlets neglect this line of thinking, and the pawns(american people) just leech onto any talking points that fit their narrative.

What would that look like to you? Is there any media outlet doing that nowadays?

Do you feel like racism and prejudice hadn't been given any air time ?

By those on the right? Absolutely not. We can't talk about it. At all. Because if we talk about it, you will call me a racist and I will openly weep like a 3 year old with a skinned knee.

Now mind you, outside of bkf, I'm struggling to think of many people on here who were referred to as racist in any serious way (and if he wasn't such a twat, he wouldn't get called a racist either.* Maybe it happens a bunch I just don't pay attention. But YOU CALLED US ALL RACISTS is now the cry of the 'pubs on this board.

*Except for Ph. People love to call him a racist. I have no idea why that is the case.

We make so many policy decisions based of one time events or low probability events it's mind boggling stupid. I look forward to the knee jerk responses to each and every adverse event from our new president.

In hopes of having a real discussion though, policy decisions based on low probability events are ok, but they should about risk and risk tolerance. What is at stake if we accept that some thing is highly unlikely to occur and don't do anything to prevent it and then it does occur? Are we willing to take that risk or should we enact a policy based on the low probability event? One of the difficult things is that our tolerance of a specific improbable but risky event changes over time especially in response to the event happening or not happening. Lots of people were happy to take their shoes off at the airport back in 2001 or 2002, but 14 years later lots of folks think its big inconvenience for a highly improbable event.

Talking about racism is objectively worse than racism in 2016. Can't wait for President Trump to raise the national discourse level.

to be fair it will be hard to top Obama's 1st year of you can be anything you want or dream to be in America if you work hard enough to 8 years later the country hates you and the police are trying to kill you. pigs in a blanket fry them like bacon. I mean I think that is unattainable. I just want to make sure you have realistic expectations.

to be fair it will be hard to top Obama's 1st year of you can be anything you want or dream to be in America if you work hard enough to 8 years later the country hates you and the police are trying to kill you. pigs in a blanket fry them like bacon. I mean I think that is unattainable. I just want to make sure you have realistic expectations.

giphy.gif

its a bit of hyperbole but do you really not think there has been a change in overall tension the last 8 years?

it got really taboo to suggest that black lives mattered, i know that

its a bit of hyperbole but do you really not think there has been a change in overall tension the last 8 years?

You should really read King's Letter from a Birmingham Jail.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured.

Last edited:

There's a change in how much tension we get to see due to the rise in social media. You seem to think black people all of a sudden became wary of police over the last 8 years.

Back